Funky Post-callback flirting

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Funky Post-callback flirting

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:09 pm

This is in LA, FYI. I cannot out my firm or school because it is too identifiable.

I did a callback at this firm last week. At the reception after I was told by several of the hiring committee that I was their favorite candidate so far. Fast forward to this week. I get a call from a senior associate- it is said up front that "this is not an offer" but "I should be encouraged by this phone call". He states that they are still sorting out hiring and will know more in a week. In the meantime he wants to take me to dinner.

I know I should treat this very seriously (like an interview), but has anyone encountered something similar? What are they thinking? What is the end game? Are they trying to get someone who doesn't like me to like me?

bport hopeful

Re: Funky Post-callback flirting

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Are you attractive and are you willing to prove it?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:19 pm

Go. I mean why the hell not. I can't imagine it's a bad thing as far as your offer chances and plus it has all the makings of the beginning of a really really good story.

On a related note, if I ever get to be a partner at a firm, I'm absolutely doing this to every attractive callback interviewee we have. Which is probably one of the reasons I'll never be a partner at a firm. Or if I do make it that far, it's why I won't be one for long.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 pm

fathergoose wrote:Go. I mean why the hell not. I can't imagine it's a bad thing as far as your offer chances and plus it has all the makings of the beginning of a really really good story.

On a related note, if I ever get to be a partner at a firm, I'm absolutely doing this to every attractive callback interviewee we have. Which is probably one of the reasons I'll never be a partner at a firm. Or if I do make it that far, it's why I won't be one for long.

I like this post :).

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Are you attractive and are you willing to prove it?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:22 pm

lol i would have been pissed to receive a call post cb from the firm only for them to say this is not an offer yet buuuut...what a tease :P

and yes, id treat this seriously...unless something fishy is going on. are you a really attractive girl?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:23 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

My bet is a blonde from USC. Partners are suckers for blondes from private schools.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 pm

fathergoose wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

My bet hope is a blonde from USC. Partners are suckers for blondes from private schools.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:25 pm

fathergoose wrote:Go. I mean why the hell not. I can't imagine it's a bad thing as far as your offer chances and plus it has all the makings of the beginning of a really really good story.

+1.1M PPP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 pm

I went to a pre-CB dinner where I was told that everyone at the dinner would get a CB, and they would be calling back additional folks beyond that. I don't *think* I did anything unprofessional or foolish during the dinner, but I did not get a CB. Who the fuck knows what these people are thinking.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:28 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:

My bet hope is a blonde from USC. Partners are suckers for blondes from private schools.

Fair, I guess I'm just trying to picture this as an episode of Franklin & Bash. Seriously, how did they only do 9 episodes in season 1. I need my trash legal tv

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I went to a pre-CB dinner where I was told that everyone at the dinner would get a CB, and they would be calling back additional folks beyond that. I don't *think* I did anything unprofessional or foolish during the dinner, but I did not get a CB. Who the fuck knows what these people are thinking.

Quinn?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is in LA, FYI. I cannot out my firm or school because it is too identifiable.

I did a callback at this firm last week. At the reception after I was told by several of the hiring committee that I was their favorite candidate so far. Fast forward to this week. I get a call from a senior associate- it is said up front that "this is not an offer" but "I should be encouraged by this phone call". He states that they are still sorting out hiring and will know more in a week. In the meantime he wants to take me to dinner.

I know I should treat this very seriously (like an interview), but has anyone encountered something similar? What are they thinking? What is the end game? Are they trying to get someone who doesn't like me to like me?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:45 am

Ha. I should have anticipated that it would go here. I invited it with "flirting" in the title. I meant a non-sexual connotation. No, I am an ugly dude. My significant other was also invited.

Has anyone ever experienced the post CB dinner... with no offer yet?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:No, I am an ugly dude. My significant other was also invited.

Wow way to ruin a perfectly good thread

snailio

Postby snailio » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:29 am

Can I have the last three minutes of my life back please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:31 am

fathergoose wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No, I am an ugly dude. My significant other was also invited.

I know, that was mad cock block. I should have just rolled with it and posted something like: "he wants to go to a restaurant called BackDoor and asked if I'd ever been there".

No such foresight. I've just never seen a post CB dinner.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
fathergoose wrote:

I know, that was mad cock block. I should have just rolled with it and posted something like: "he wants to go to a restaurant called BackDoor and asked if I'd ever been there".

No such foresight. I've just never seen a post CB dinner.

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Ha. I should have anticipated that it would go here. I invited it with "flirting" in the title. I meant a non-sexual connotation. No, I am an ugly dude. My significant other was also invited.

DF...?

mths

Postby mths » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

DF...?

didn't mean to post that anonymously

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:46 am

Don't use the term flirting in this context, tard. Goddamn disappointment.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 am

I'm still not sure what happened here and I've read the thread twice. Is it possible to 'flame' anonymously with out mods catching on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:05 am

tyro wrote:I'm still not sure what happened here and I've read the thread twice. Is it possible to 'flame' anonymously with out mods catching on?

Op here. Sure, but this isn't a flame. I really just picked the wring word for the title. I view callbacks as flirting with the law firm. You both want to fuck eachother so you are putting on your best face.

I really am trying to find out what the firm is thinking.

tyro

Postby tyro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote: You both want to fuck eachother so you are putting on your best face.

What if one party wants to play the "just the tip" game while the other wants the full thing? :lol:

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:34 am

tyro wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: You both want to fuck eachother so you are putting on your best face.

What if one party wants to play the "just the tip" game while the other wants the full thing? :lol:

I've always preferred "ouch ouch you're on my hair." It seems to be a better move on callbacks.

Return to “Legal Employment”