Cadwalader Offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cadwalader Offers

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was the associate who told you not to work there, by chance, black? Just wondering if we had the same guy, or if everyone hates their job?

Also, a friend interviewed same day, got a callback 3 days later, I haven't been rejected yet, so maybe they are holding onto my file.
Looks like disdain for cadwalader is ushering us into a post-racial america. We had different associates.
I figured it was the vaguest description I could give without outing the interviewer, as much as he hates his job, I'd hate to get him fired.
From what I've heard, pretty much no biglaw associate enjoys their jobs. This is total conjecture, but I think Cadwalader associates may be more willing to express their feelings honestly because the firm has a more "up front" culture.
Disagree. I've met lots of people during this recruiting cycle, and know many associates IRL, who are happy in BigLaw and genuinely enjoy what they are doing. They might not see themselves doing it forever, and they acknowledge the difficult parts of the lifestyle, but they are learning a lot and building good connections in environments that are fairly collaborative and full of intelligent peers. It's not all doom and gloom. Furthermore, many career paths are equally depressing at an entry-level, particularly the well-compensated ones (see: banking, consulting, medical residency, engineering). The grass is the same color everywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From what I've heard, pretty much no biglaw associate enjoys their jobs. This is total conjecture, but I think Cadwalader associates may be more willing to express their feelings honestly because the firm has a more "up front" culture.
Disagree. I've met lots of people during this recruiting cycle, and know many associates IRL, who are happy in BigLaw and genuinely enjoy what they are doing. They might not see themselves doing it forever, and they acknowledge the difficult parts of the lifestyle, but they are learning a lot and building good connections in environments that are fairly collaborative and full of intelligent peers. It's not all doom and gloom. Furthermore, many career paths are equally depressing at an entry-level, particularly the well-compensated ones (see: banking, consulting, medical residency, engineering). The grass is the same color everywhere.
I find it somewhat improbable that the lifestyle -- at least the negative aspects of life at large law firms -- is markedly different at Cadwalader than at, say, Cravath, Sullivan & Cromwell, or Gibson Dunn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I find it somewhat improbable that the lifestyle -- at least the negative aspects of life at large law firms -- is markedly different at Cadwalader than at, say, Cravath, Sullivan & Cromwell, or Gibson Dunn.
You picked the shitty firms for qol, so of course they all suck. Try comparing those to Weil, or Cleary

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try comparing those to Weil, or Cleary
Really all the same.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Really all the same.
Exactly the same. I was at a "sweatshop" firm last summer. My BFF in the whole world was a Cleary; another close friend is a midlevel at Cadwalader. All those firms, taken as a whole, are almost exactly the same in terms of "lifestyle"; however there are substantial differences in and among practice areas at all the firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 am

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Really all the same.
Exactly the same. I was at a "sweatshop" firm last summer. My BFF in the whole world was a Cleary; another close friend is a midlevel at Cadwalader. All those firms, taken as a whole, are almost exactly the same in terms of "lifestyle"; however there are substantial differences in and among practice areas at all the firms.
Also, don't underestimate the effect that the morale of people around you can have on your own attitude. The substantive hours/work might be similar, but at some firms attorneys take more pride in their relationships with coworkers, mentors, and workplace. You're right, this does vary substantially from group to group within the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:33 am

Got an offer recently about a week after the callback. Seriously considering the offer.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:39 am

ITT: Law students convince themselves that BigLaw "won't really be that bad" or "really will be that great" depending on their offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer recently about a week after the callback. Seriously considering the offer.
Thanks for the legitimate response. The law firm arguments were kind of making me hate myself for starting this thread.

Do you mind providing any sort of information about what kind of school you go to? T5? T14? I'm in the bottom half of the T14 and it seems that noone from my school has heard back from them yet, haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bump . . . interested in this also.
Roughly how long ago was your callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:19 am

Callback Monday, offer last night.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got an offer recently about a week after the callback. Seriously considering the offer.
Thanks for the legitimate response. The law firm arguments were kind of making me hate myself for starting this thread.

Do you mind providing any sort of information about what kind of school you go to? T5? T14? I'm in the bottom half of the T14 and it seems that noone from my school has heard back from them yet, haha.
I'm quoted poster above. I go to a NY regional school that is not in the t14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Add me to the list of people who had great CWT interviewers. Had a great time on my CB and really liked everyone I met.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was the associate who told you not to work there, by chance, black? Just wondering if we had the same guy, or if everyone hates their job?

Also, a friend interviewed same day, got a callback 3 days later, I haven't been rejected yet, so maybe they are holding onto my file.
Looks like disdain for cadwalader is ushering us into a post-racial america. We had different associates.
I figured it was the vaguest description I could give without outing the interviewer, as much as he hates his job, I'd hate to get him fired.
Everyone at Sadwalader would be happier if they got fired.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 pm

any DC offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:58 pm

I just finished up a summer at Cad and wanted to add in my two cents. I almost listened to the stories about how cad was a sweatshop that everyone hated when making my decision. I'm glad I didn't. I truly had a great time while I was there. Compared to my friends at other big firms, I built much stronger relationships with associates and partners. I got to work on a lot of awesome, substantive assignments that were challenging. I was able to walk into any partner's office to ask for help on an assignment without fear that they would look down on me. Associates were eager to get to know the summers and they showed up to all of our summer events.

I had offers at other firms without the Cad reputation, but I took the "gamble" because I liked everyone I met during my callback. It worked out really well and I am excited to go back there after I graduate. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Offer today, CB on Thu.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Offer today, CB on Thu.
Also had CB Thursday but haven't heard. Can't be good news :? .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:01 pm

when does their hiring committee meet? i just had my CB today and am really excited about the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when does their hiring committee meet? i just had my CB today and am really excited about the firm.
+1

They weren't kidding with how nice those offices are. I liked that people were very honest about the good and the bad. They didn't try and sugercoat it and painted what seemed like a fair picture of the firm and the culture. It certainly wouldn't be for everyone, but for what its worth, I think it would be a really good choice for me. Also excited to hear back (hopefully sometime next week)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when does their hiring committee meet? i just had my CB today and am really excited about the firm.
Seems like it's a quick turnaround since someone from Thursday late afternoon got an offer today. For some reason I thought the hiring committee met on Wednesdays, but I guess I was wrong on that.

(This is the poster from above who did NOT get a offer today and is therefore probably going to get a ding since they have to be getting close to done at this point).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Interviewed on Monday, and got offer today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed on Monday, and got offer today
Congrats. I interviewed on Monday as well and haven't heard. What time did they call? Mind sharing school/GPA range?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed on Monday, and got offer today
Congrats. I interviewed on Monday as well and haven't heard. What time did they call? Mind sharing school/GPA range?
Interviewed in the late afternoon on Monday. Got the call late afternoon today, pretty much exactly 48 hours later. I'm a CCN transfer from a T25 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:33 pm

Has anyone been dinged? It's been forever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”