Federal Govt- Applications, Interviews, Dings & Offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CandyLand

Federal Govt- Applications, Interviews, Dings & Offers

Postby CandyLand » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to this, especially for those of us who would actually prefer a 2L job with a federal agency to one with a firm.

The DOJ application window for SLIP and Honors closes Tuesday, so let's keep each other posted on our statuses after that.

Summer hiring for the FTC (both the Bureau of Competition and the Bureau of Consumer Protection) is also well under way; I had a screener with BCP last week and would be interested to know how long it takes/has taken other people to hear back from them, whether for a CB or a ding. I'm not even entirely sure how their process works, like do they even do CBs?

Anonymous User

Re: Federal Govt- Applications, Interviews, Dings & Offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 am

CandyLand wrote:Thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to this, especially for those of us who would actually prefer a 2L job with a federal agency to one with a firm.

The DOJ application window for SLIP and Honors closes Tuesday, so let's keep each other posted on our statuses after that.

Summer hiring for the FTC (both the Bureau of Competition and the Bureau of Consumer Protection) is also well under way; I had a screener with BCP last week and would be interested to know how long it takes/has taken other people to hear back from them, whether for a CB or a ding. I'm not even entirely sure how their process works, like do they even do CBs?

Re: the FTC -- I heard back from the BC maybe 1.5 or 2 weeks after my screener for a second round interview. I'd also like to know what happens next (or when it happens).

CandyLand

Postby CandyLand » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
CandyLand wrote:Thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to this, especially for those of us who would actually prefer a 2L job with a federal agency to one with a firm.

Re: the FTC -- I heard back from the BC maybe 1.5 or 2 weeks after my screener for a second round interview. I'd also like to know what happens next (or when it happens).

Did you go out there for the 2nd round interview, like a CB, or was it over the phone with more/different people? And for some reason I think that after the 2nd round, you might not hear from them until they make offers in October. Like it might be different from law firms in that you have to compete with everyone else who is interviewed after you as opposed to meeting a threshold level of what they think is good enough to hire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:48 am

I had a screening with the IRS this week in the midwest (but not necessarily for the office I met with). They did say its early in the recruiting season.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:26 pm

I did the FTC BC summer program last summer. After the callback (which was over the phone with 3 attorneys), it took about a month before I got my offer.

CandyLand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you go out there for the 2nd round interview, like a CB, or was it over the phone with more/different people? And for some reason I think that after the 2nd round, you might not hear from them until they make offers in October. Like it might be different from law firms in that you have to compete with everyone else who is interviewed after you as opposed to meeting a threshold level of what they think is good enough to hire.

CandyLand

Postby CandyLand » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did the FTC BC summer program last summer. After the callback (which was over the phone with 3 attorneys), it took about a month before I got my offer.

CandyLand wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, that's helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Quick post-screener dings from CIA and FTC-BC. Much better interview with FTC-BCP, but they estimated that it may be October before I hear back from them. They also said I should let them know if a firm needs me to accept/decline an offer before then; at that point they might give a rough idea of where I stand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Is FTC work a pretty much guaranteed lateral into biglaw after a couple of years? Does anyone have info on how lateraling options would be coming out of the FTC?

CandyLand

Postby CandyLand » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quick post-screener dings from CIA and FTC-BC. Much better interview with FTC-BCP, but they estimated that it may be October before I hear back from them. They also said I should let them know if a firm needs me to accept/decline an offer before then; at that point they might give a rough idea of where I stand.

Oh wow thanks for posting! I never think to ask when I'll hear back, and BCP's the one I'm most interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is FTC work a pretty much guaranteed lateral into biglaw after a couple of years? Does anyone have info on how lateraling options would be coming out of the FTC?

i'm definitely not an expert, as i'm only a 2L myself, but i've spoken with a number of attorneys who have told me that if you work at a regulatory agency for 4-5 years or so, you are VERY marketable as a lateral associate in big law. the main reason is that you know the ins and outs of the agency and presumably made connections while you were there that can add value to their client services. That said, some regulatory agencies are more desirable than others. FTC, FCC, PTO, IRS are obviously more marketable than others.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Quick post-screener dings from CIA and FTC-BC. Much better interview with FTC-BCP, but they estimated that it may be October before I hear back from them. They also said I should let them know if a firm needs me to accept/decline an offer before then; at that point they might give a rough idea of where I stand.

I'm going to choose to interpret this to mean that the cold, hard, distressing silence I've heard from every government agency I had a screener with is a good sign.

(Shhhh...don't destroy my delusions.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:52 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:

I'm going to choose to interpret this to mean that the cold, hard, distressing silence I've heard from every government agency I had a screener with is a good sign.

(Shhhh...don't destroy my delusions.)

Still silence from FTC BCP here. How about email-in applications? I haven't heard from any of the agencies/depts I've sent cover letter, etc, to, but it's still early, right?

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:03 pm

Rejection today from FTC-BC after a phone CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:59 pm

bmontminy wrote:Rejection today from FTC-BC after a phone CB

mail or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:37 pm

also interested

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:48 pm

When did you submit your CIA application/how long did it take for them to get back to you?

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

mail or email?

Email--I informed them of an offer deadline coming up but the recruiter said "lets see, we will be deciding on you guys.......tomorrow." Made it sound as if they are going either school-by-school or job fair-by-job fair.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm

bmontminy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

mail or email?

Email--I informed them of an offer deadline coming up but the recruiter said "lets see, we will be deciding on you guys.......tomorrow." Made it sound as if they are going either school-by-school or job fair-by-job fair.

hm.. i had a screener in august, phone CB the other week, and no word yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:30 pm

anyone know if the sec is opening up their advanced commitment program?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:51 am

Re: FTC - they will still be interviewing next week (callbacks). Not sure if that is the last round.

Does anyone know how long the FTC gives you to respond if you get an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

Can some of you post your school/rank stats? Would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Re: FTC - they will still be interviewing next week (callbacks). Not sure if that is the last round.

BC or BCP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Re: FTC - they will still be interviewing next week (callbacks). Not sure if that is the last round.

BC or BCP?

Sorry - BC for both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When did you submit your CIA application/how long did it take for them to get back to you?
It was through the U. Texas DC interview program late in the summer, and it took only a few days for them to get back to me. Another person I know got an email from them shortly after the interview; I got a letter after that. Don't know anyone who got a CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm

any word from ferc?

Return to “Legal Employment”