Offers and Offer Letter

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offers and Offer Letter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Received offer from a firm that's one of my top choices last Friday. I want to cancel a chunk of my remaining interviews, but I'm afraid of doing so until I actually receive the letter---ESPECIALLY after hearing about various office mix-ups and SNAFUs. How long does it normally take? And how long should you wait before contacting HR, etc.?

Anonymous User

Re: Offers and Offer Letter

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:17 pm

This is a great concern. I wouldn't cancel anything until you've accepted the offer. So that means waiting until you get the letter and formally accept.

1L contracts- you should not act in reliance on that type of offer before you accept it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a great concern. I wouldn't cancel anything until you've accepted the offer. So that means waiting until you get the letter and formally accept.

1L contracts- you should not act in reliance on that type of offer before you accept it.

Is this correct? We should not even CANCEL callbacks until we ACCEPT an offer? This would be pretty detrimental to those in the CB hold pile, I would imagine...

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is a great concern. I wouldn't cancel anything until you've accepted the offer. So that means waiting until you get the letter and formally accept.

I think this is needlessly risk averse. I can understand waiting to see the offer in writing, though.

snailio

Postby snailio » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Was it a verbal offer over the phone, if so I don't really see a problem.

I know a guy who got his first choice, had 23/25 CB's cancelled em all on a Verbal acceptance.

If you are concerned call the office and ask for the paperwork so you can cancel your other CB's, get clarity, be proactive, no one will hold it against you for asking responsible questions.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

The advice I've gotten is, after receiving an offer, cancel callbacks with all firms that you know you wouldn't take over the one you got the offer from. But, no harm in notifying the remaining firms that you are still interested in that you have an offer and continuing to go on callbacks with them. This advice obviously isn't compatible with "wait until you have formally accepted the offer before cancelling."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Kind of tangential here, but anyone not receive an offer letter 2 weeks after a phone call extending the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:54 am

OP here....I ended up getting the letter exactly one week after the phone call. I would say that after two weeks, it is certainly within reason to ask HR for an update or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”