You're not out of the game, until you get the ding

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

You're not out of the game, until you get the ding

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 am

Most of this thread seems full of pessimism, to add just a little optimism to the board, I just wanted to add a personal anecdote.

When career services told me that you're not out of the game until you get rejected, I did not believe them, especially when I had heard of other people receiving callbacks from a firm where I had done a screener. However, in a surprising turn of events, yesterday I received a callback from a firm that I did a pre-OCI screener at that had already given out callbacks to some of their OCI interviews. I received the callback a month after doing my screening interview, so silence isn't necessarily an auto-ding.

I did not post my anecdote in any way to tell you that if you do not have an offer that you should not me mass mailing or worried about getting an offer, I just wanted to give some perspective and give people a little hope if they are hearing silence from one of their favorite firms. Good luck to everyone going forward in this process.

Anonymous User

Re: You're not out of the game, until you get the ding

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:57 am

Even if you get a ding, you're not out of the running.

I received a rejection letter, then an offer 3 days later. I wonder which was the mistake...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 am

I was email dinged by a V-25 and received a call for a CB, with the same firm, less than an hour later. The partner who called was apologetic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:25 am

Ding from a firm 2 weeks after sending them my materials in late July. CB a month later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:33 am

Dinged by a firm during mass mailing. They were still on my bid list and gave me a screening interview, then a CB, then an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:38 am

while the pep talk is appreciated, it's sometimes more painful to hold onto hope as long as possible only to get crushed at the end, than it is to just accept that 9 times out of 10, it's a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:while the pep talk is appreciated, it's sometimes more painful to hold onto hope as long as possible only to get crushed at the end, than it is to just accept that 9 times out of 10, it's a ding.

Probably higher than 9/10 honestly. Still, I know someone who was dinged after screeners then called back. They there then dinged after the callback. Two weeks go by and BAM, they get an offer. Maybe another offer fell through, or some recruiter is crazy trigger happy.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:while the pep talk is appreciated, it's sometimes more painful to hold onto hope as long as possible only to get crushed at the end, than it is to just accept that 9 times out of 10, it's a ding.

Probably higher than 9/10 honestly. Still, I know someone who was dinged after screeners then called back. They there then dinged after the callback. Two weeks go by and BAM, they get an offer. Maybe another offer fell through, or some recruiter is crazy trigger happy.

this story made me LOL. what the heck. haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

If I were a recruiting manager I would just auto-ding everyone so they wouldn't contact me "to follow up." Seriously, answering email cuts into your Angry Birds time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ding from a firm 2 weeks after sending them my materials in late July. CB a month later.

This gives me hope - please Milbank, make that rejection letter yesterday be a mistake.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 pm

Received a CB today from one of the 10ish firms that I had a screener with 3 weeks ago and had yet to hear from.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:55 pm

I mass mailed a firm, and they rejected me. I then put them on my bidlist during OCI (I didn't know they would be at OCI when I mass mailed them, since I was a transfer still at my previous school when I mass mailed them), and got an interview lined up. Got a CB from them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm

this thread just makes me want to reapply to all firms that dinged me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Although I know this is right, but I'm going to use this thread anyway for some much-needed optimism and hope things pan out for me like they have for others ITT.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this thread just makes me want to reapply to all firms that dinged me

I'm a recruiter and this thread makes me want to ding everyone just for kicks.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:12 pm

One more feel good story for the pile:

I had a screening interview with a firm early August of 2010. Didn't here anything at all from them until a random phone call in late December 2010 telling me that they were extending me an offer. I ended up accepting the offer and working there this summer (and receiving a permanent offer).
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:One more feel good story for the pile:

I had a screening interview with a firm early August of 2010. Didn't here anything at all from them until a random phone call in late December 2011 telling me that they were extending me an offer. I ended up accepting the offer and working there this summer (and receiving a permanent offer).

Forget the law. Pretty sure there is more $ in this time machine you seem to have invented.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 pm

I had a screening interview with a firm early August of 2010. Didn't here anything at all from them until a random phone call in late December 2011 telling me that they were extending me an offer. I ended up accepting the offer and working there this summer (and receiving a permanent offer).

That's amazing. And I'm guessing that means you had otherwise struck out.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this thread just makes me want to reapply to all firms that dinged me

I'm a recruiter douche and this thread makes me want to ding everyone say douchey things just for kicks.

ftfy

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm

KMaine wrote:

Forget the law. Pretty sure there is more $ in this time machine you seem to have invented.

Haha, fixed!

To the other poster: No, I hadn't struck out. I actually had several other offers, but I declined the ones I knew for sure I wasn't interested in, and was able to get extensions on a couple (the admittedly long extensions were due to the fact that I was friendly with a few partners at a couple of firms). I had one half of my summer already planned for so I was totally comfortable hanging out for the other half if I didn't get the offer I wanted.
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks, this is reassuring. I'm waiting on both of my top choices in DC and my screeners were 1.5 and 2 weeks ago. I assume there's no way of knowing which firms are keeping wait lists (which is what I assume you're on if you get a CB weeks later)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm close to out of the game. Today alone had 4 rejections (3-post CB, 1 massmail) all of which I thought went VERY well.

Good stats, unique resume, told I interview well....I've never experienced despair before but I'm there now.

edit, add another ding to the list!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm close to out of the game. Today alone had 4 rejections (3-post CB, 1 massmail) all of which I thought went VERY well.

Good stats, unique resume, told I interview well....I've never experienced despair before but I'm there now.

Among the many things I learned through OCI... a "unique resume" may not be a good thing at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm close to out of the game. Today alone had 4 rejections (3-post CB, 1 massmail) all of which I thought went VERY well.

Among the many things I learned through OCI... a "unique resume" may not be a good thing at all.

When I say unique, I mean very strong UG major, rare/valued languages, desirable post-grad WE, great grades, top-flight 1L job.

I'm *this* close to calling up my old employers and begging to come back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

KMaine wrote:

LMAFAO

Return to “Legal Employment”