Saying No to Boies Schiller?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:21 pm

If you want to do litigation, why would you? Their compensation is insane! Why would you choose anywhere else? Unless you have an offer from WLRK, how do you say no to so much money?

Is there a rational reason to say no? Am I missing something? I would really appreciate hearing sincere opinions on why you would say no.

I know people say they work crazy hours, but after serious investigation, it doesn't appear that CSM, DPW, Skadden, or KE associates work any less...


Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

Because you got an offer at Williams & Connolly. Or perhaps Susman or Keker, or one of the other really elite lit boutiques. I can't see taking Quinn over Boies (let's be realistic--you're not going to be there more than 5-8 years, so why does the David Boies-centric nature of Boies matter?), but I could see W&C for the government exit options and connections, or Susman or Keker or some other boutique for the environment.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 pm

Because perhaps some people care about more than compensation? Just a though

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 pm

If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 pm

IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


It's amazing how a bunch of people who go to the best law schools in the nation choose law firms based on nothing more than a Vault rank.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby kaiser » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


It's amazing how a bunch of people who go to the best law schools in the nation choose law firms based on nothing more than a Vault rank.


Yeah its unbelievable how prevalent the prize mentality is. We let others determine for us what the "prize" or "goal" is, then we blindly chase something that someone else tells us is what we want. Thus, students completely forego the process of actually evaluating their goals, desires, preferences, etc. that would allow them to make an educated choice, and merely seek the "prize". Its sad that this is the way the system seems to work.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because perhaps some people care about more than compensation? Just a though



Like what? What is it that Boies doesn't have that would pull you away? To me, they seem to have all the good qualities of a fantastic litigation practice + huge compensation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 pm

IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


Money...

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby IAFG » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


Money...

The hypo was Boies v WLRK. Doing work you don't want to, and putting yourself on the wrong professional track, for a little extra money? You better have 5 kids.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Because perhaps some people care about more than compensation? Just a though



Like what? What is it that Boies doesn't have that would pull you away? To me, they seem to have all the good qualities of a fantastic litigation practice + huge compensation.


Some people may look to quality of life, culture, firm stability and financial outlook, pro bono opportunities, etc. just to name a few. I'm making no comment on how Boies stacks up with regard to any of these factors since I know little about the firm. But there are certainly additional factors that weigh into peoples' decisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Because you got an offer at Williams & Connolly. Or perhaps Susman or Keker, or one of the other really elite lit boutiques. I can't see taking Quinn over Boies (let's be realistic--you're not going to be there more than 5-8 years, so why does the David Boies-centric nature of Boies matter?), but I could see W&C for the government exit options and connections, or Susman or Keker or some other boutique for the environment.


OP: I meant boutiques aside (should have said that). The question is more for people choosing one Biglaw firm over the other.

About W&C, good call on the government option. I'm not interested in that, but can definitely see why others would be.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


Money...

The hypo was Boies v WLRK. Doing work you don't want to, and putting yourself on the wrong professional track, for a little extra money? You better have 5 kids.


WLRK has a litigation department, no?

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


Money...

The hypo was Boies v WLRK. Doing work you don't want to, and putting yourself on the wrong professional track, for a little extra money? You better have 5 kids.


WLRK has a litigation department, no?


Yes, and it has a very good litigation department. In fact, its litigation department is ranked higher in chambers than BSF. http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 9#org_4210

Just because Wachtell is known for M&A doesn't mean they suck at everything else.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:03 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


It's amazing how a bunch of people who go to the best law schools in the nation choose law firms based on nothing more than a Vault rank.


Their litigation department is pretty stellar and very selective. I'd take them over Boies and not just because of vault rankings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273108
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Money...

The hypo was Boies v WLRK. Doing work you don't want to, and putting yourself on the wrong professional track, for a little extra money? You better have 5 kids.


WLRK has a litigation department, no?


Yes, and it has a very good litigation department. In fact, its litigation department is ranked higher in chambers than BSF. http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/ ... 9#org_4210

Just because Wachtell is known for M&A doesn't mean they suck at everything else.


Yup, although I do think most people agree that BSF is under-ranked in chambers.

terribleperson
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby terribleperson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yup, although I do think most people agree that BSF is under-ranked in chambers.


Evidently your "most people" don't include those surveyed by Chambers. I'll bet TLS is more authoritative.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
IAFG wrote:If you got WLRK but wanted lit... why would you take it?!


It's amazing how a bunch of people who go to the best law schools in the nation choose law firms based on nothing more thana Vault rank a fat lockstep bonus.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Saying No to Boies Schiller?

Postby johndhi » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 pm

this thread is SO NEW YORK CENTRIC. Get over yourself new york :P




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.