What % of offers get accepted?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273337
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:07 pm

I hear it's roughly 50%..... is it fair to say that if a firm has 15 spots there will probably be around 30 offers made?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273337
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:11 pm

this is relevant to my interests especially for a lower end Vault firm (80-100)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273337
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this is relevant to my interests especially for a lower end Vault firm (80-100)


I dunno, this number probably varies a lot due the different offer rates for different schools. Looking at the statistical data from mine (HYS) it shows a lot of firms (from V25 to V100) with something like 25 offers, 5 acceptances or (for smaller firms) 8 offers 1 acceptance. However this probably isn't true for all schools.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I hear it's roughly 50%..... is it fair to say that if a firm has 15 spots there will probably be around 30 offers made?


In 2010, it was more like 40%, but each firm will be different. A firm like Paul Hastings might be more like 20%, because they are competing for people who get a shit load of other, and better offers.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby rayiner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:26 pm

3 offers per 1 acceptance is a good rule of thumb for firms that aren't Wachtell, Williams & Connelly, etc. Even at the S&C, Cravath level the yield is around 33%, because they tend to all offer the same pool of people and lose candidates to each other.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273337
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:56 pm

V100 recruiter told me 60% yield at her firm.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:16 pm

rayiner wrote:3 offers per 1 acceptance is a good rule of thumb for firms that aren't Wachtell, Williams & Connelly, etc. Even at the S&C, Cravath level the yield is around 33%, because they tend to all offer the same pool of people and lose candidates to each other.


At CLS, the ration of offers accepted to offers extended is 1:3.2, so this sounds about right.

Anonymous User wrote:V100 recruiter told me 60% yield at her firm.


If true, this is unusually high. At CLS the only firms of any meaningful scale with ratios about 50% were DPW and Ropes (and Wachtell exactly at 50%). Paul Weiss, Cleary, STB, Debevoise, Cravath, S&C, etc. were all considerably below 50%.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Unitas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
rayiner wrote:3 offers per 1 acceptance is a good rule of thumb for firms that aren't Wachtell, Williams & Connelly, etc. Even at the S&C, Cravath level the yield is around 33%, because they tend to all offer the same pool of people and lose candidates to each other.


At CLS, the ration of offers accepted to offers extended is 1:3.2, so this sounds about right.

Anonymous User wrote:V100 recruiter told me 60% yield at her firm.


If true, this is unusually high. At CLS the only firms of any meaningful scale with ratios about 50% were DPW and Ropes (and Wachtell exactly at 50%). Paul Weiss, Cleary, STB, Debevoise, Cravath, S&C, etc. were all considerably below 50%.


Wait, are you saying people at CLS turn down Wachtell 50% of the time? I find that very hard to believe.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Unitas wrote:
Wait, are you saying people at CLS turn down Wachtell 50% of the time? I find that very hard to believe.


Last two years running.

Granted it's a relatively small sample, but yes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273337
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What % of offers get accepted?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Unitas wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:
rayiner wrote:3 offers per 1 acceptance is a good rule of thumb for firms that aren't Wachtell, Williams & Connelly, etc. Even at the S&C, Cravath level the yield is around 33%, because they tend to all offer the same pool of people and lose candidates to each other.


At CLS, the ration of offers accepted to offers extended is 1:3.2, so this sounds about right.

Anonymous User wrote:V100 recruiter told me 60% yield at her firm.


If true, this is unusually high. At CLS the only firms of any meaningful scale with ratios about 50% were DPW and Ropes (and Wachtell exactly at 50%). Paul Weiss, Cleary, STB, Debevoise, Cravath, S&C, etc. were all considerably below 50%.


Wait, are you saying people at CLS turn down Wachtell 50% of the time? I find that very hard to believe.


yup

happens all the time

I even heard some people turn down callbacks with Wachtell.

I've heard that one year Wachtell gave offers to 6 CLS students and only 1 accepted. But I think this was back in the good ol' days of 2005-2007.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.