Offer Dinner- Do I go?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer Dinner- Do I go?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:05 pm

I got an offer from a firm that is having their offer dinner one night next week. The firm is not my first choice but I haven't received any other offers yet. I have heard that offer dinners can be really awkward experiences if you aren't sure that you are going to that place. Should I still go next week to the dinner? Was what I was told accurate?

Thanks!

KMaine

Re: Offer Dinner- Do I go?

Postby KMaine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 pm

In my experience, it was not awkward. You will get the hard sell on the firm, but they don't expect you to accept on the spot. Go, enjoy a meal, get treated like a big shot, see if you like the people.

uk4220

Postby uk4220 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 pm

uh.......yes. come on. You have no offers right now. Why wouldn't you go? Even if you went and realized that you dont want to work for them you:

A. Got a great interviewing experience doing the dinner (esp if you have more dinners with other firms in the future)
B. Gained knowledge about what kind of firms you might actually want to work for
and C. A free steak dinner.

Dont be shy and ruin a great opportunity for yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm

free dinner.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:free dinner.

And it'll likely be delicious. I went to 2 offer dinners and it greatly shaped which firm I chose.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:20 pm

I went to one last year and it was indeed very awkward at times. Most of the attorneys are behaved and don't ask why you haven't accepted the offer, but others--after having a couple drinks--go into fraternity rush mode and are constantly, artificially, talking up the firm and the lifestyle. Even a couple directly asked why you haven't accepted or--even worse--act like you have accepted the offer and start asking about stuff you want to work on over the summer--making you affirmatively say that you have balked at accepting the offer. I anticipated this and had good answers ready (e.g. waiting to see whether fiancee gets job X in the same market), but it was still a position that I didn't want to be in. I made up excuses to skip the other offer dinners for other firms.

One tip: promise yourself that no matter how much you like the firm or how tipsy you get at the event, that you won't accept any offer at the event. Sleep on it and take an hour or so to reflect on the experience first.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:23 pm

After reading the other posts I must agree, the food and beverage was nothing short of fantastic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:After reading the other posts I must agree, the food and beverage was nothing short of fantastic.

so advantages: free dinner, getting to know the firm, a possible offer when you have NONE

disadvantages: feeling awkward.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

And it'll likely be delicious. I went to 2 offer dinners and it greatly shaped which firm I chose.

Didn't like the maple cotton candy either?

terribleperson

Postby terribleperson » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 pm

How awkward it is to eat with the firm's lawyers is information that you might want to know if you are fortunate enough to have a decision to make.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What the f.supp? wrote:After reading the other posts I must agree, the food and beverage was nothing short of fantastic.

so advantages: free dinner, getting to know the firm, a possible offer when you have NONE

disadvantages: feeling awkward.

I must have misinterpreted the OP. I was under the impression that said firm already gave him/her an offer ("I got an offer from a firm...") . If that's the case, then the "possible offer" concept is erroneous because OP already has one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Original poster here: just to clarify, I do have an offer from this firm. My issue is that I want to do litigation and the firm I have an offer from doesn't have a great lit department but other places I interviewed do so I wouldn't have a great answer to the awkward questions an above poster mentioned...

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:05 pm

KMaine wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

Hah. One partner at my table got wasted and kind of weirded me out. He tried to fake bribe me into taking the offer... which was hilarious, until he kept going with it then asked flat out why I wouldn't accept. It was weird.

You were there this summer right? Fantastic place. Wish I could've summered at both, heh.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:08 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
Hah. One partner at my table got wasted and kind of weirded me out. He tried to fake bribe me into taking the offer... which was hilarious, until he kept going with it then asked flat out why I wouldn't accept. It was weird.

Bribe? Like offering you 35k and a 90% chance at a job that pays 160k starting?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
KMaine wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

You were there this summer right? Fantastic place. Wish I could've summered at both, heh.

Yeah, great summer. Really pleased with my choice. Wonder who that was . . . Seems like you must have had a good summer too. /hijack. OP - go to the dinner!

Return to “Legal Employment”