Good Areas to Live in DC/Arlington Where I Can Run?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
What the f.supp?

Good Areas to Live in DC/Arlington Where I Can Run?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi folks I am moving to DC to start work in May 2012 and am wondering about housing locales. I know it's too early to secure a place, but I am wondering about good areas to look.

I lived in DC this summer but I didn't have time to get out of my bubble much (unfortunate I know). Though this may sound petty, one of the main things I'm looking for is a place near a park/trails where I can run. Living on Capitol Hill was great, but I don't really like running on cobblestone sidewalks and around tons of cars and broken glass (and I'm not that guy running around the mall dodging tourists and their photo opportunities) . I am going to sell my car before moving, so proximity to metro is also important.

Anything come to mind?

bannanagram

Re: Good Areas to Live in DC/Arlington Where I Can Run?

Postby bannanagram » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:26 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Hi folks I am moving to DC to start work in May 2012 and am wondering about housing locales. I know it's too early to secure a place, but I am wondering about good areas to look.

I lived in DC this summer but I didn't have time to get out of my bubble much (unfortunate I know). Though this may sound petty, one of the main things I'm looking for is a place near a park/trails where I can run. Living on Capitol Hill was great, but I don't really like running on cobblestone sidewalks and around tons of cars and broken glass (and I'm not that guy running around the mall dodging tourists and their photo opportunities) . I am going to sell my car before moving, so proximity to metro is also important.

Anything come to mind?

The Courthouse/Clarendon area has some good trails and shaded neighborhoods. You'd also be close enough to pick up the Crecent Trail near Key Bridge.

ariadne86

Postby ariadne86 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

This was a big thing for me too when I lived in DC. The Dupont Circle/Logan Circle area is great. You can reach Rock Creek park very easily. You can also reach the Capital Crescent Trail via Georgetown. Running around the Mall is another option. Dupont Circle is also a good central location that will allow you to walk most everywhere you need to go. In general I recommend living closer to the western end of DC than Capitol Hill/Eastern Market for running.

Clarendon and Arlington have good places for running, but are a snoozefest. Plus you'll have to rely on public transport to get into work.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

bannanagram wrote:
What the f.supp? wrote:Hi folks I am moving to DC to start work in May 2012 and am wondering about housing locales. I know it's too early to secure a place, but I am wondering about good areas to look.

Anything come to mind?

The Courthouse/Clarendon area has some good trails and shaded neighborhoods. You'd also be close enough to pick up the Crecent Trail near Key Bridge.

Came here to post the same thing.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks guys! I'll check it out. Any ideas of places to search for apartments besides craigslist?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:08 pm

ariadne86 wrote:This was a big thing for me too when I lived in DC. The Dupont Circle/Logan Circle area is great. You can reach Rock Creek park very easily. You can also reach the Capital Crescent Trail via Georgetown. Running around the Mall is another option. Dupont Circle is also a good central location that will allow you to walk most everywhere you need to go. In general I recommend living closer to the western end of DC than Capitol Hill/Eastern Market for running.

Clarendon and Arlington have good places for running, but are a snoozefest. Plus you'll have to rely on public transport to get into work.

Eh, there are tons of young people in Arlington. It's not the most happening place but it's not dead. And I never cared much about taking a half hour metro ride as a commute.

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
ariadne86 wrote:This was a big thing for me too when I lived in DC. The Dupont Circle/Logan Circle area is great. You can reach Rock Creek park very easily. You can also reach the Capital Crescent Trail via Georgetown. Running around the Mall is another option. Dupont Circle is also a good central location that will allow you to walk most everywhere you need to go. In general I recommend living closer to the western end of DC than Capitol Hill/Eastern Market for running.

Eh, there are tons of young people in Arlington. It's not the most happening place but it's not dead. And I never cared much about taking a half hour metro ride as a commute.

Agree with the above. The Metro in the AM wasn't super relaxing because you are cramming yourself onto the train, but I walked half a block to the Metro and hopped on.

As for places to look besides Craigslist- what are you looking for? Apartment? Condo? House? If you're looking for an apartment, I lived both in Archstone and Dittmar properties and was fine with both. I lived for a year at one of the Meridian properties and found the facilities a little run down and more of a 22 year old "I get plastered on Tuesday nights" crowd than the former.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:28 pm

bannanagram wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

Agree with the above. The Metro in the AM wasn't super relaxing because you are cramming yourself onto the train, but I walked half a block to the Metro and hopped on.

As for places to look besides Craigslist- what are you looking for? Apartment? Condo? House? If you're looking for an apartment, I lived both in Archstone and Dittmar properties and was fine with both. I lived for a year at one of the Meridian properties and found the facilities a little run down and more of a 22 year old "I get plastered on Tuesday nights" crowd than the former.

I am looking for a studio or one-bedroom apartment. I am 25 and would be pretty annoyed with constant noise from rowdy teens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:
bannanagram wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:

I am looking for a studio or one-bedroom apartment. I am 25 and would be pretty annoyed with constant noise from rowdy teens.

The Winston House, the Hamilton House, or the Flats at Dupont are all just south of Dupont Circle and have studios/1-bedrooms that cater to 25-35 year old crowd. Prices range from $1700-$2100 for a studio, or $2000-$2800 for a 1-bedroom. All have gyms, doormen, and a couple have pools.

monicaflorio

Postby monicaflorio » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 am

A run that I really like is to start from the Courthouse/Rosslyn area and do a loop of Roosevelt Island. The trail starts at the Key Bridge. If you haven't run there before, you will be surprised at how far removed it feels from the city. You can see birds and wildlife. Also a serene kayak ride if you rent a kayak at the Georgetown harbor. Another bonus is the hidden memorial at the center of the island. From there, you can run along the Potomac and see the sites on the Mall without dodging tourists.

As far as where to live in that area, when I would go on those runs, I would meet a friend who lived in Colonial Village between the Courthouse and Clarendon Metros. That was our starting point for the runs. It's also very popular community for its affordability and walkability/Metro proximity.

Monica Florio, Realtor
Licensed in Virginia
Long & Foster Fair Oaks Office
13135 Lee Jackson Highway, Suite 100
Fairfax, VA 22033
(703) 651-2502
@urbanfairfax

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 am

Some great areas near Cleveland Park/Van Ness (Metro, Red Line) - Rock Creek Park.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

Does anyone know the word on the Cleveland Park and Woodley Park neighborhoods? I lived on Cap Hill last summer and never made it out that way. I'm looking at traillink.com and I'm surprised at how close those areas are to the good trails. I just don't want to get shanked in my gym shorts while running. Is one more favorable than the other in terms of safety, entertainment, access to grocery stores, etc.?

Return to “Legal Employment”