State Clerkship Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Clerkship Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 am

According to my state, it says that each judge has their own policy of hiring clerks. Does that mean that I just send my cover letter, writing sample and resume? No letter of recommendation?

Thanks,

lolwat

Re: State Clerkship Questions

Postby lolwat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:27 pm

The statement that "each judge has their own policy of hiring clerks" probably just means they're on different timelines, so you might have a judge that has already hired by August and another one that's not even looking at applications until October. It's also possible that some of their application requirements are different: a list of references instead of letters of recommendation, undergraduate transcripts, etc.

I would either (a) call each chambers you plan on applying to and ask or (b) just send letters of recommendation because they're generally accepted as being part of the application for any clerkship, including state clerkships. Calling is preferable, as you can find out other things too.

Also, send them an unofficial transcript.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:05 pm

For the rec letters, im assuming they can be just general rec letter?
If i do just send them out, how many LOR should I send?

Thanks,

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the rec letters, im assuming they can be just general rec letter?
If i do just send them out, how many LOR should I send?

Thanks,

Not sure what you mean by general rec letter. If you've asked profs to write letters of recommendation for you then that would likely be the one they send (mailmerged/directed to the particular judge). It is possible that there are some things they say different if they know it's a state rather than federal clerkship so you might want to check with them first.

I believe the majority of judges want 2-3 LORs. I have not seen any judge, state or federal, request 1 or 4 (or more), so it's hard to go wrong by sending 3. However, checking with chambers is the best way to find this out.

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Two things. First, your career services office should be able to answer your questions as clerkships are a significant part of their job....they will have the mailing list of all the judges so you can make a mail merge.

Second, your apps should be out ASAP. I sent mine out the very last week of August because I acknowledged given the fact I was highly ranked, on law review, at a T50-100 school, I had absolutely no shot at a federal clerkship.

Don't waste time. Many state judges have started interviewing and many will decide on their clerks quite soon. Send out ASAP.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:22 pm

That statement, read in isolation, could also mean that some judges only hire permanent staff and do not hire clerks on an annual basis.

Your best bet is to call chambers and ask if/when the judge will hire and what materials to send. If you decide not to do that, I would send cover letter, resume, writing sample, law school transcript, and references. (I wouldn't go through the trouble of sending recommendation letters unless specifically requested).

and +1 to what SteelReserve said (but CSO prob only useful if applying in state/region)

EDIT: And BTW, since you are anon anyway, what state is this you're talking about?
see also http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/careers ... de2011.pdf, but not everything in this guide is correct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:36 pm

I got the answer thanks!
For appellate level in my state requires you to apply to a central database. No LOR required.

Just curious. I am also interested in practicing in other states. I have no ties to the other states. Do judges really look for ties to the area?

Thanks

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got the answer thanks!
For appellate level in my state requires you to apply to a central database. No LOR required.

Just curious. I am also interested in practicing in other states. I have no ties to the other states. Do judges really look for ties to the area?

Thanks

Can't say for sure, but it sounds logical, other than maybe NY. I'd try to make a connection somewhere in the cover letter as to why you want to be in that state, and definitely try to be ready to talk about that during an interview.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do judges really look for ties to the area?

In my experience (at one state appellate court), most seem to look for some sort of connection to the state. But this opinion could be formed merely because most applicants (and almost all of clerks) have had some connection to the state.

Nonetheless, if you have good grades from a top school, you'll probably get an interview.

Return to “Legal Employment”