White male hurts chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

White male hurts chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:15 am

How much of a boost does being an Asian female
give you at OCI over being a white, straight male?

pissantvache

Re: White male hurts chances?

Postby pissantvache » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:19 am

Really? Except for the boost you get by being the object of attraction for a substantial portion of your fundamentally awkward interviewers, probably not much (and that is probably counterbalanced by the fact that, as a white male, you almost certainly get a boost for looking the same as your interviewers).

Seriously, not the kind of thing you can control or measure, so it's really best just not to think about it.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 am

--ImageRemoved--

goreman

Postby goreman » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 am

I assume you are trying to choose which of these you should present yourself as at interviews?

Eco

Postby Eco » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:22 am

Did you see an asian in the waiting room and think "omg I'm fucked"? lol. Come on.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:28 am

goreman wrote:I assume you are trying to choose which of these you should present yourself as at interviews?

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 am

wear a really lowcut shirt and find out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:35 am

The Asian part of it is irrelevant. If you are an ATTRACTIVE female, you might get a boost. That's no different than anything else in life.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:36 am

Approximately .117 GPA points. +/- .001.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:39 am

I tend to agree with the above about being Asian not helping. If you look the break down of Asian associates in big law firms relative to their representation in the overall population, they tend to be slightly overrepresented. So I doubt there is a big "diversity plus" for being Asian. The case would be much different if you were talking about say, an African American female, since the numbers there are much different.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 am

luthersloan wrote:I tend to agree with the above about being Asian not helping. If you look the break down of Asian associates in big law firms relative to their representation in the overall population, they tend to be slightly overrepresented. So I doubt there is a big "diversity plus" for being Asian. The case would be much different if you were talking about say, an African American female, since the numbers there are much different.

Depends on what region of the country.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 am

I think the question that really needs to be discussed here is should being an Asian female give an applicant an advantage.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:42 am

TTH wrote:I think the question that really needs to be discussed here is should being an Asian female give an applicant an advantage.

Maybe for my dick, otherwise no.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am

TTH wrote:I think the question that really needs to be discussed here is should being an Asian female give an applicant an advantage.

That's true. Haven't seen a decent race baiting thread in a while.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am

Grizz wrote:

It was the elephant in the thread.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:01 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Was it an African or Indian elephant?!!!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:11 am

TTH wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Was it an African or Indian elephant?!!!

Me gusta

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Grizz wrote:
luthersloan wrote:I tend to agree with the above about being Asian not helping. If you look the break down of Asian associates in big law firms relative to their representation in the overall population, they tend to be slightly overrepresented. So I doubt there is a big "diversity plus" for being Asian. The case would be much different if you were talking about say, an African American female, since the numbers there are much different.

Depends on what region of the country.

And what firm. The statistics make it very clear that the Magic Circle firms don't give a fuck about diversity, for example.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 pm

I recently witnessed a socially inept Asian female being fawned over in front of a bunch of non-diverse candidates in a Magic Circle group callback.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The Asian part of it is irrelevant. If you are an ATTRACTIVE female, you might get a boost. That's no different than anything else in life.

it's sad people actually believe this bullshit. statements like this are just going to get in your head and hold you back. forget society and GO OUT AND GET YOU SOME.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently witnessed a socially inept Asian female being fawned over in front of a bunch of non-diverse candidates in a Magic Circle group callback.

Probably fluent in Mandarin.

Glock

Postby Glock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Biglaw diversity initiatives: hollow hype.

Plurality of decision makers are going to be white males and that makes it easier to relate. Being a white male is obviously an advantage.

There are a few firms that actually back up their diversity talk, but they are a tiny minority. Diversity talk, like "green" bullshit, exists to make clients more likely to hire/keep/pay the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:09 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I recently witnessed a socially inept Asian female being fawned over in front of a bunch of non-diverse candidates in a Magic Circle group callback.

Made a point of gratuitously informing all other candidates she was from Yale, moments before the recruiters handed out name-tags which listed everyone's law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Made a point of gratuitously informing all other candidates she was from Yale, moments before the recruiters handed out name-tags which listed everyone's law school.

Yale and settling for a Magic Circle firm? Fail. And, yes, Magic Circle firms have a lot of Asians, but it's almost certainly due to language. Look at their dreadfully low numbers of blacks, Hispanics, etc. on NALP.

Return to “Legal Employment”