Junior Economic Consulting Staff taking questions..

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sTTTanford99

Junior Economic Consulting Staff taking questions..

Postby sTTTanford99 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:04 pm

I am a member of the junior consulting staff in the Washington, DC office of a top economic consulting firm. I'll be taking any questions you have about litigation consulting. :mrgreen:

smokyroom26

Re: Junior Economic Consulting Staff taking questions..

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 am

sTTTanford99 wrote:I am a member of the junior consulting staff in the Washington, DC office of a top economic consulting firm. I'll be taking any questions you have about litigation consulting. :mrgreen:

What is litigation consulting? :D

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 am

smokyroom26 wrote:
sTTTanford99 wrote:I am a member of the junior consulting staff in the Washington, DC office of a top economic consulting firm. I'll be taking any questions you have about litigation consulting. :mrgreen:

What is litigation consulting? :D

My old college roommate is a litigation consultant. After all these years, I still don't think he can articulate exactly what he does for a living. Whenever I ask him about it, I hear "blah blah blah... BINDERS blah blah blah..."

sTTTanford99

Postby sTTTanford99 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:36 pm

In the field of economic consulting, experts assist attorneys in forming and supporting opinions by providing independent and unbiased analysis of the economics of the legal matter. Often these testimonies are submitted to the court in report form along with the attorneys’ briefs and supported by expert testimony at deposition. The field of economic consulting is thus made up of experts who make use of a support staff of economists and researchers to produce work product to submit to counsel.

A practical example:

Company A would like to purchase Company B, but would like to know if there is a risk that the DOJ or FTC will not allow the acquisition to take place because it could potentially create an economic environment that would promote anti-competitive behavior :evil: . The lawyers involved with the deal will hire an economic expert :idea: :D :idea: to evaluate the transaction and offer an opinion. Regardless of the expert’s opinion, the companies may proceed with the transaction however they see fit, but now they have a sense of what potential risk there is that the acquisition will be blocked. This saves the companies time and money. :mrgreen:

For a real world example see the DOJ's block on AT&T's acquisition of T-Mobile:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fiw- ... 8247.story
Last edited by sTTTanford99 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:36 pm

is using a lot of emoticons when you post online a prerequisite for the job?

sTTTanford99

Postby sTTTanford99 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm

@somewhatwayward tienes issues?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 pm

sTTTanford99 wrote:.

I pm'd you

Return to “Legal Employment”