Haven't heard from the firm since the screener...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Haven't heard from the firm since the screener...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Its been about a week and a half since I've had my interview with this firm in the Northeast. Should I follow up or is it too soon?

Anonymous User

Re: Haven't heard from the firm since the screener...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:30 pm

H's OCS told me to follow up on Saturday after EIP week for all of them.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:31 am

This is a dumb question but if you get nothing but silence from a firm after a screener, isn't that a ding?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:33 am

Firms usually send out rejection notices. If you know they have and you haven't gotten one, you're in the second round of picks. They are waiting to see who they get from the first round.

At least according to my OCS and other people at school.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:35 am

kalvano wrote:Firms usually send out rejection notices. If you know they have and you haven't gotten one, you're in the second round of picks. They are waiting to see who they get from the first round.

At least according to my OCS and other people at school.

This is what I heard as well. It honestly never occurred to me to follow up. Do people do this? Do you follow up with the attorney with whom you interviewed or the recruiting contact?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 am

Isn't following up prohibited by NALP? No contact and all that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 am

kalvano wrote:Isn't following up prohibited by NALP? No contact and all that?

OP here: Not sure if there have been any dings sent out. Perhaps the firm is waiting to finish up OCI at other local schools.

a following up/no contact prohibition by NALP? I have never heard of this except in the context of 1L's

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 am

You aren't, according to NALP guidelines, supposed to contact OCI firms during a certain period of time. Not sure when it ends.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 am

kalvano wrote:Isn't following up prohibited by NALP? No contact and all that?

Briefly glanced at the Principles for Candidates page on NALP. Didn't see anything but I wasn't reading especially closely.

(edited to bold in case anyone calls a screener tomorrow and herpderps their way out of a job)

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 am

kalvano wrote:You aren't, according to NALP guidelines, supposed to contact OCI firms during a certain period of time. Not sure when it ends.

NALP guidelines are guidelines though, not requirements.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

kalvano wrote:You aren't, according to NALP guidelines, supposed to contact OCI firms during a certain period of time. Not sure when it ends.

Where is this in the NALP guidelines? I'm not aware of any such restrictions and I was not able to find any within the guidelines.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:05 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Where is this in the NALP guidelines? I'm not aware of any such restrictions and I was not able to find any within the guidelines.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Its been about a week and a half since I've had my interview with this firm in the Northeast. Should I follow up or is it too soon?

Last year, I got a callback two weeks after the OCI screener and I got an offer.
You probably can wait until after this long weekend.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Hell, I don't know. My OCS just said that NALP guidelines said not to contact firms. In looking at the NALP guidelines, I don't see it either.
Last edited by kalvano on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm

It's been 2-3 weeks since some screeners and haven't got either a callback or a ding. I'm sure the ones left are dings, but I wish they would let me know.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

From HLS Career Services:

EIP Timing
The fact that you do not instantly hear from an employer is not a reflection on you or what the employer thought of you. While a few employers give callback offers on the spot, some take one week to ten days to extend a callback invitation.

If you have not heard anything within a week after your initial interview, it is perfectly appropriate for you to follow up by calling either the recruiting coordinator or the hiring partner. Employers are well aware of how tight the time-frame is, so you should not hesitate to call if you have not heard anything by the Wednesday after EIP.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:12 pm

Same advice from my OCS. If you haven't heard anything at about the two week mark, call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:25 pm

Variation on this question. You're a 3L. You have a nice screener, at the conclusion of which you tell them you hope to clerk. (Everybody at this firm clerks.) They ask you to keep them abreast of how the clerkship apps process goes. You, reasonably, take this as a positive sign, namely a sign that they're interested (otherwise they could just reject you rather than keeping tabs on a clerkship hiring outcome that's three weeks off), and want to see if you'll be available in 2012 (no clerkship), 2013 (straight to a circuit), or 2014 in the district/appellate scenario. So, consistently with that reading of their question, you hear nothing, good or bad, in the nine days that have passed since the screener. Now, say on September 8th you get a lot of calls from good judges. Do you get back to them and give them THAT information, just to let them know you're a hot clerkship commodity, and probably will be available in 2013, but not before? Or does "keep us abreast of your clerkship process" just mean, "let us know when you have an offer"?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Variation on this question. You're a 3L. You have a nice screener, at the conclusion of which you tell them you hope to clerk. (Everybody at this firm clerks.) They ask you to keep them abreast of how the clerkship apps process goes. You, reasonably, take this as a positive sign, namely a sign that they're interested (otherwise they could just reject you rather than keeping tabs on a clerkship hiring outcome that's three weeks off), and want to see if you'll be available in 2012 (no clerkship), 2013 (straight to a circuit), or 2014 in the district/appellate scenario. So, consistently with that reading of their question, you hear nothing, good or bad, in the nine days that have passed since the screener. Now, say on September 8th you get a lot of calls from good judges. Do you get back to them and give them THAT information, just to let them know you're a hot clerkship commodity, and probably will be available in 2013, but not before? Or does "keep us abreast of your clerkship process" just mean, "let us know when you have an offer"?

2L, but it sounds to me like it means the latter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 pm

The longer the wait, the worse the odds are. Likely a ding. Still, some firms are slow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:The longer the wait, the worse the odds are. Likely a ding. Still, some firms are slow.

But then again, I haven't heard of anyone getting a CB yet from this firm. Nor has anyone, I believe, gotten a ding.

I think I'm just going grow some cojones and call tomorrow. It will virtually be the two-week mark.

Return to “Legal Employment”