Rejecting an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
somethingdemure

Rejecting an offer

Postby somethingdemure » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Can I e-mail or should I call?

smokyroom26

Re: Rejecting an offer

Postby smokyroom26 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:52 pm

somethingdemure wrote:Can I e-mail or should I call?

Call, then send a follow-up email right after if you have to leave a voicemail.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:55 pm

Call recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:07 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Call recruiting.

Really? Calling? Hmmm that's uncomfortable. But I guess you're right since they put a lot of effort in after they give you an offer.

Is it OK to email cancel CBs though?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm

I mean, I guess it's "ok" to email - it's not likely it's horribly impolite or anything.

It's really not that uncomfortable. This happens all the time, they don't take it personally, and I've actually had several pleasant conversations after declining offers.

Element

Postby Element » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Just call. Firm probably have people decline offers all the time. Besides, in this employers' market, they can easily offer another qualified candidate. Just be gracious about it, and there shouldn't be anything uncomfortable about the conversation.

mlipsco

Postby mlipsco » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:13 pm

I would probably call. However, I don't think it's bad form to email, considering that this is exactly how firms do their rejections.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm

I've called and emailed. I don't think it really matters, nor do the recruiting coordinators care that much. Calling is probably more efficient, however, since it won't get lost in the shuffle of the daily email barrage.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:I've called and emailed. I don't think it really matters, nor do the recruiting coordinators care that much. Calling is probably more efficient, however, since it won't get lost in the shuffle of the daily email barrage.

This is pretty accurate, however, if you've been in touch with a partner since the callback (hiring partner or interviewer for example), then I would recommend emailing them and cc'ing the recruiter. Make sure to say how much you liked the firm, it was a hard decision, etc, since you never know when you'll cross paths in the future.

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 pm

this question has been asked before, and tls members always say to call. i don't know why though as when i speak to people in person i find most people email. calling is uncomfortable and weird. do firms call you to reject you?

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:13 pm

ruski wrote:calling is uncomfortable and weird.

Why? Especially if you can call someone you know/who made the offer...thank them profusely, say how much you enjoyed meeting everyone, but that after much thought and consideration, you have decided to accept another offer.

This is not hard. This is not uncomfortable. This is a GREAT opportunity to gracefully and gently close a door that one day you may want to open again. Nothing bad can happen.

ruski

Postby ruski » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:20 pm

jkay wrote:

Why? Especially if you can call someone you know/who made the offer...thank them profusely, say how much you enjoyed meeting everyone, but that after much thought and consideration, you have decided to accept another offer.

This is not hard. This is not uncomfortable. This is a GREAT opportunity to gracefully and gently close a door that one day you may want to open again. Nothing bad can happen.

how would you like to get a phone call from a recruiter saying how great you were and how much they loved meeting you, but they weren't going to extend you an offer.

and its pretty silly to think a recruiter would even remember something like this. they wont even remember your name. no need to "gently close the door" here. i know it's hard to believe but they really dont care about you. they interview dozens of kids and their goal is to do their job and fill the necessary number of spots.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Maybe you are right. It probably depends on the size of the firm. If the summer class is 5, then it's entirely different than if it's 100.

That said, for some dumb reason I was imagining this thread was about the post 2L summer actual job offer and not the SA offer.
Last edited by jkay on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:I've called and emailed. I don't think it really matters, nor do the recruiting coordinators care that much. Calling is probably more efficient, however, since it won't get lost in the shuffle of the daily email barrage.

This is pretty accurate, however, if you've been in touch with a partner since the callback (hiring partner or interviewer for example), then I would recommend emailing them and cc'ing the recruiter. Make sure to say how much you liked the firm, it was a hard decision, etc, since you never know when you'll cross paths in the future.

Defintely good points, dood. IIRC, I did something similar and the firm contact said to contact them if I was ever interested in lateralling later. Being a normal human being goes a loooooong way. :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

ruski wrote:
jkay wrote:

how would you like to get a phone call from a recruiter saying how great you were and how much they loved meeting you, but they weren't going to extend you an offer.

and its pretty silly to think a recruiter would even remember something like this. they wont even remember your name. no need to "gently close the door" here. i know it's hard to believe but they really dont care about you. they interview dozens of kids and their goal is to do their job and fill the necessary number of spots.

I dunno. Some of the partners I have talked to seem genuinely interested in recruiting people. They don't make offers to people to come work with/for them to people they won't remember. And, for me, most fo the communication I have had is with the partners/associates not with recruiting.

Return to “Legal Employment”