Katten Chicago

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Katten Chicago

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's very much in the same league as winston or jenner. it's just not Mayer, Sidley, Kirkland.

Bro, it's nowhere close to being in the same league as Winston or Jenner. lololololol

But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Broseidon, as far as I can tell, it's a market paying firm in Chicago that's not named Kirkland. It might be shitty, I'm not arguing that point, but it's not a helluva lot shittier than Winston or Jenner. To delineate the Chicago hierarchy beyond the few firms at the top in one group (of which Winston and Jenner are not) and every other market-paying firm in the other is hogwash. Seems like you're the one trying to make yourself feel better with your attempt to put leagues between Winston and Katten. Either that or you were trolling, and I fell for it ;-).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Lets be honest here. Landing a position at ANY of these firms ITE is amazing. The sense of entitlement of many law students is astounding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's very much in the same league as winston or jenner. it's just not Mayer, Sidley, Kirkland.

Bro, it's nowhere close to being in the same league as Winston or Jenner. lololololol

Broseidon, as far as I can tell, it's a market paying firm in Chicago that's not named Kirkland. It might be shitty, I'm not arguing that point, but it's not a helluva lot shittier than Winston or Jenner. To delineate the Chicago hierarchy beyond the few firms at the top in one group (of which Winston and Jenner are not) and every other market-paying firm in the other is hogwash. Seems like you're the one trying to make yourself feel better with your attempt to put leagues between Winston and Katten. Either that or you were trolling, and I fell for it ;-).

+1

The truth right now is that essentially every Chicago firm below the top tier should just be clumped together (because they're all crap). I wish I would have known just what a joke the market is when deciding between Chicago/Northwestern/NYU/Columbia. I struck out at the top-tier Chicago firms, but managed to get a V20 in New York. I have no doubt that the actual work and exit opportunities are going to be so much better for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

The truth right now is that essentially every Chicago firm below the top tier should just be clumped together (because they're all crap). I wish I would have known just what a joke the market is when deciding between Chicago/Northwestern/NYU/Columbia. I struck out at the top-tier Chicago firms, but managed to get a V20 in New York. I have no doubt that the actual work and exit opportunities are going to be so much better for me.

Care to elaborate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lets be honest here. Landing a position at ANY of these firms ITE is amazing.

Eh, at my school, 75-80% of the people are probably getting biglaw, and a lot of those are getting better options than Katten. Sorry if this is coming across as harsh, I just expected things to go better for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Care to elaborate?

I don't know what I can do to elaborate. I thought Chicago was like NYC, where there are discernable tiers, and even if you didn't get a top-tier firm (maybe you ended up with GDC NY or JD NY), you still were in a pretty good position. I can't say that same here. It seems like if you don't get Kirkland/Sidley/etc., your options suck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Lets be honest here. Landing a position at ANY of these firms ITE is amazing.

Eh, at my school, 75-80% of the people are probably getting biglaw

Yale?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Eh, at my school, 75-80% of the people are probably getting biglaw

Yale?

I would guess that those numbers are about right for people at CLS/UChicago this year. Even last year, about 70% of people at UChicago had summer jobs in the V100/NLJ250.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Anyone know the most recent offer rate at Katten?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Katten Chicago was 17/18.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

+1.

Katten is nowhere near Winston and Jenner. Also your lumping of Mayer with Kirkland and Sidley is wrong. It is not 2005. Mayer belongs with Winston and Jenner. After these firms it is a steep dive to Katten (lets not forget that Katten rescinded offers, cut to 145 at one point during the recession and is not in band 1 or 2 for lit and corp in Chambers.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1.

Katten is nowhere near Winston and Jenner. Also your lumping of Mayer with Kirkland and Sidley is wrong. It is not 2005. Mayer belongs with Winston and Jenner. After these firms it is a steep dive to Katten (lets not forget that Katten rescinded offers, cut to 145 at one point during the recession and is not in band 1 or 2 for lit and corp in Chambers.)

I completely agree with the above two anons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 pm

For lit, Mayer still belongs with Kirkland and Sidley. Chambers still has them as Band 1 (Sidley at Band 2). Agreed re: corp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Anything new from Katten lately?

Alvin

Postby Alvin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm

Well they have got this going for them:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/10/very-hap ... -programs/

Return to “Legal Employment”