Katten Chicago Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Katten Chicago

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:16 pm

Anyone know about callback to offer ratio?

Anonymous User

Re: Katten Chicago

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about callback to offer ratio?
This is relevant to my interests. What school are you at?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Offer today. I accepted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:07 pm

Accepted my offer. Psyched.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accepted my offer. Psyched.
How did you accept the offer (call, email)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How did you accept the offer (call, email)?
call.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

That's awesome! What school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's awesome! What school?
ccn

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Just turned down my offer at Katten, and will be heading to dla piper instead. Hope that clears up a spot for somebody.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just turned down my offer at Katten. Hope that clears up a spot for somebody.
+1 except I'll be heading to Sidley. CCN transfer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just turned down my offer at Katten. Hope that clears up a spot for somebody.
+1 except I'll be heading to Sidley. CCN transfer.
+1 to clearing up a summer associate spot at Katten

Sounds like a lot of us turning down offers. Hopefully for everybody who still has yet hear, the yield will be lower this year, giving you a better shot at an offer. It was a tough choice for me, but I really liked the people I met at Vedder Price, so that's where I'll be instead. Good luck everybody! I'm at a non-T14 Chicago school (think Chicago-Kent/Loyola/DePaul) if that helps anybody.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Count me in! Very happy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Can people explain why they chose other firms over Katten, or for the people who accepted, which firms you were deciding between and why you chose Katten?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 pm

I chose it over Vedder. Both great firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I chose it over Vedder. Both great firms.
Thanks for the reply! Why did you choose it over Vedder? I liked Katten, but I've heard some not-so-great things lately about the health of the firm and the exit options. Can you speak to this? I'm really worried about the general strength of the Chicago legal market (I have a couple offer from NYC firms too), except with firms like Kirkland and Sidley (*sigh* didn't even get callbacks from them though).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks for the reply! Why did you choose it over Vedder? I liked Katten, but I've heard some not-so-great things lately about the health of the firm and the exit options. Can you speak to this? I'm really worried about the general strength of the Chicago legal market (I have a couple offer from NYC firms too), except with firms like Kirkland and Sidley (*sigh* didn't even get callbacks from them though).
What's wrong with the health of the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What's wrong with the health of the firm?
It just seems like when I've had informational interviews with Chicago partners, a lot of them have mentioned that the firm's not doing so well right now, and that the future outlook is not bright. I'm worried about spending my 2L summer there and either being no-offered because the firm goes downhill, or getting laid off as a 1st/2nd year associate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 pm

I think you could say the above about almost any firm in Chicago not named Kirkland

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think you could say the above about almost any firm in Chicago not named Kirkland
For what it's worth, they made it seem like Katten was going to be worse off than other Chicago firms considered "peer firms." I don't know how much stock to put in all this though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think you could say the above about almost any firm in Chicago not named Kirkland
For what it's worth, they made it seem like Katten was going to be worse off than other Chicago firms considered "peer firms." I don't know how much stock to put in all this though.
Maybe "they" have an agenda?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Only capital partners have access to the firm's detailed financial data. Similarly, law firms have to open up their books to partners looking to lateral to their firm, which is why it is helpful to look at the flow of lateraling partners. Looking at the last couple years, the partner turnover at Katten has been relatively low. The firm has lost a couple big-name partners, but they have picked up significantly more big-name partners than they have lost.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Only capital partners have access to the firm's detailed financial data. Similarly, law firms have to open up their books to partners looking to lateral to their firm, which is why it is helpful to look at the flow of lateraling partners. Looking at the last couple years, the partner turnover at Katten has been relatively low. The firm has lost a couple big-name partners, but they have picked up significantly more big-name partners than they have lost.

Katten seems to be doing fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Katten seems to be doing fine.
I agree. That's where I'll be next summer. Sure, it's not as prestigious as or maybe doesn't supply the same level of exit options as firms like Kirkland, Sidley, Mayer Brown, Skadden, Latham, Jenner, Jones Day, or Winston, but it's still a solid Chicago firm. I think we'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:01 pm

It's very much in the same league as winston or jenner. it's just not Mayer, Sidley, Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's very much in the same league as winston or jenner. it's just not Mayer, Sidley, Kirkland.
Bro, it's nowhere close to being in the same league as Winston or Jenner. lololololol

But whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”