Silence from the South Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Silence from the South

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:09 pm

In the past two weeks, I've had around 20 screeners at firms in the Southeast. So far, I've yet to receive a single CB. I've only gotten four dings, and there are another three firms where I've heard about classmates receiving CBs, but I'm really starting to get worried.

I have varying degrees of ties to all the markets I've interviewed in, and I think I'm a decent (but not spectacular) interviewer. There seems to be some of talk that firms in the South often take some time to get back to interviewees, but I don't really know if this level of silence is normal at this stage of the game.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Anonymous User

Re: Silence from the South

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the past two weeks, I've had around 20 screeners at firms in the Southeast. So far, I've yet to receive a single CB. I've only gotten four dings, and there are another three firms where I've heard about classmates receiving CBs, but I'm really starting to get worried.

I have varying degrees of ties to all the markets I've interviewed in, and I think I'm a decent (but not spectacular) interviewer. There seems to be some of talk that firms in the South often take some time to get back to interviewees, but I don't really know if this level of silence is normal at this stage of the game.

Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?
Very similar experiences, but on the West Coast. A lot of firms just straight up haven't gotten back to anybody (according to my own experience, talking with friends, and talking with the career office).

I spent a couple years working at a firm out here and I asked one of my old buddies from the firm about it and he said that a ton of people are on vacation around this time of year and the firms are completely swamped by the number of schools they recruit at + the number of calls that need to be made + the number of mass mailing applications they receive + the fact that they have families, etc that want them at home, all coupled with the fact that many schools keep moving OCI earlier and earlier in the year so that it's no longer an actual on-campus process like it used to be, and firms are hesitant to hire to a certain extent, given that the economy has started to look somewhat troubled again. Nobody in the attorney recruiting department wants to do anything too crazy (aka start handing out offers left and right) while the partners are out of town, or the partners are out of town before their kids go back to school and are waiting till after Labor Day (when grade school starts up in a lot of places I think).

Again, this is one dude's take, but I guess it makes sense. I figure no news is good news at this point, as I at least haven't been dinged yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 pm

"The south" and "the southeast" is way too vague. What state are we talking about? Perhaps someone on here will have actual experience to share.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:29 pm

VA, NC, Atlanta, and Birmingham. Dings were from two smaller satellite offices of major market firms, a large Atlanta firm, and a well-respected regional firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:31 pm

Received a callback less than 24 hours after for some Birmingham firms and offers within 24 hours of callback last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:VA, NC, Atlanta, and Birmingham. Dings were from two smaller satellite offices of major market firms, a large Atlanta firm, and a well-respected regional firm.
I know someone who has done a few less interviews than you (maybe around 12-15), and has at least 4 callbacks already and no hard dings (though some soft ones since others have received cbs from firms he/she interviewed with). The cbs range from large vault firms, to local boutique types. These interviews were all done in the past week and a half.

I have done 6 and have 1 cb (large vault firm), and the rest are silent. Stressed out like a mofo.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Some of the larger ATL firms have made calls. I think some of the smaller ones haven't.

Some Birmingham firms are doing calls, some aren't yet.

So it's not too late to despair yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”