Mass mailing multiple offices of the same firm - what to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
duckmoney

Mass mailing multiple offices of the same firm - what to do?

Postby duckmoney » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Searched this already, and wasn't very helpful.

When mass mailing offices of the same firm (a firm that you're just mailing, no office is coming to OCI), I'm a bit confused as what the best protocol would be.

Say, for instance, a firm has offices in Chicago and Miami. You have ties to both.

What if the firm has separate recruiting managers in each office? Should you tell the Chicago office your reasons to be in Chicago, and the Miami office your reasons for Miami? Or should you tell each office about your reasons for both cities? Or should you just pick one?

How does the situation change if they share the same recruiting manager? Is it appropriate to apply for both offices in the same letter, or would you be better off picking one and sticking with it?

North

Re: Mass mailing multiple offices of the same firm - what to do?

Postby North » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:27 am

duckmoney wrote:Searched this already, and wasn't very helpful.

When mass mailing offices of the same firm (a firm that you're just mailing, no office is coming to OCI), I'm a bit confused as what the best protocol would be.

Say, for instance, a firm has offices in Chicago and Miami. You have ties to both.

What if the firm has separate recruiting managers in each office? Should you tell the Chicago office your reasons to be in Chicago, and the Miami office your reasons for Miami? Or should you tell each office about your reasons for both cities? Or should you just pick one?

How does the situation change if they share the same recruiting manager? Is it appropriate to apply for both offices in the same letter, or would you be better off picking one and sticking with it?

Bump. Still nothing good in search after two years of TLS CW fermentation.

Running into this OP's problem in my secondary-laden mass mail carpet bombing campaign.

How did y'all handle it?

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 am

full steamed ahead and just did it.

vrmsoccer

Postby vrmsoccer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 am

If there were different recruiting coordinators, I sent a separate mail to each. If it was the same, then I combined them into one cover letter. Can't tell you how that did, as I am going through the process same as you right now.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 am

Not sure if this is credited (probably isn't given the common TLS wisdom of mail, mail, mail) but I typically just picked the one office of each firm that I thought I had the best shot at and moved on. My thinking was that applying to multiple offices might make me look wishy washy or something or I'm just applying everywhere and I wanted to make it look like I was committed to just that one area and give it my one best shot.

YMMV

jbates14

Postby jbates14 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:58 am

TheThriller wrote:full steamed ahead and just did it.

Can you tell me who that is in your avatar? Every time I see it at work, I just sit there and stare at it for far too long. Also, in the same position, but have been sending different cover letters to each office.

North

Postby North » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:32 am

jbates14 wrote:Also, in the same position, but have been sending different cover letters to each office.

Me too, but I'm pretty sure it's exposing my cover letter (which, if you didn't have another edition of it to compare it too, would appear to be a very tie-laden, personal, genuine-sounding cover letter) as the very elaborate mail merge form letter it is. And that's NAGL, especially considering that the firms with enough offices to make it an issue are the big firms that I'd most like to work at.

And sending one letter expressing interest in ALL THE OFFICES doesn't sound good.

And picking one office to gun for does not mesh with me not reading the tea leaves.

I'm seeing nothing ideal.

Can we get some olds in here to tell us what they did and how well it worked?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:05 am

I've generally gone with sending one to each office with a recruiting coordinator. If you have legitimate ties to two places with the same recruiting coordinator, then I would say it's okay to send one cover letter saying you want both and explaining why you want each. That said, if your first choice market is highly insular (e.g. St Louis) then you should probably only send it to that office. There probably isn't one correct answer, but this approach makes sense to me, and I've had decent success with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 pm

I've just been sending different cover letters unless it is the same recruiting contact.

Return to “Legal Employment”