Screener + Week(s) of Silence

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:48 pm

C'mon now Mr. HotShotBigLawFirm. At least send a rejection letter telling me thanks but no thanks and put me out of my misery.

By way of making myself feel briefly better, which firms are guilty here?

On my end, either my own personal experience or what I've heard from friends, we're looking at the following culprits to date:


Latham
Crowell
Orrick
Covington
Jones Day

If any of the above firms want to call me, I'll still come in for a call back, swear.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 pm

+1 on Latham. Have been waiting almost 2 weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:37 pm

I got two out of those five today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got two out of those five today.


GTFO

Congrats. But seriously, GTFO. :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got two out of those five today.


GTFO

Congrats. But seriously, GTFO. :D


No... I meant rejection letters. Le Sigh.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got two out of those five today.


GTFO

Congrats. But seriously, GTFO. :D


No... I meant rejection letters. Le Sigh.


Oh, you're cool then. I'm just waiting for mine at this point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Kirkland DC was that way for me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:C'mon now Mr. HotShotBigLawFirm. At least send a rejection letter telling me thanks but no thanks and put me out of my misery.

By way of making myself feel briefly better, which firms are guilty here?

On my end, either my own personal experience or what I've heard from friends, we're looking at the following culprits to date:


Latham
Crowell
Orrick
Covington
Jones Day

If any of the above firms want to call me, I'll still come in for a call back, swear.


Latham and JD sent out rejections letters fast as hell at my school. JD did it via email. You might be on a "maybe list."

Has anyone gotten a Covington rejection from a screener yet? I hear they are slow as hell but I interviewed three weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:C'mon now Mr. HotShotBigLawFirm. At least send a rejection letter telling me thanks but no thanks and put me out of my misery.

By way of making myself feel briefly better, which firms are guilty here?

On my end, either my own personal experience or what I've heard from friends, we're looking at the following culprits to date:


Latham
Crowell
Orrick
Covington
Jones Day

If any of the above firms want to call me, I'll still come in for a call back, swear.


Latham and JD sent out rejections letters fast as hell at my school. JD did it via email. You might be on a "maybe list."

Has anyone gotten a Covington rejection from a screener yet? I hear they are slow as hell but I interviewed three weeks ago.


I did Covington about 3 weeks ago as well. My personal opinion in looking at who does what is that the smaller the office, the slower the response time. E.g. if you were applying to Crowell's HQ in DC, they've been making moves. Crowell out on the west coast seems slow. Covington SD is who I'm waiting for, and I've heard 0 from them, as well as not having heard anything from any friends who interviewed with them either.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I will add these to the culprit list from my own experience:

Sullivan & Cromwell
Dechert
Skadden

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Sullivan and Dechert have been fairly aggressive in hearing back. I got my interview DURING my screener at the latter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:C'mon now Mr. HotShotBigLawFirm. At least send a rejection letter telling me thanks but no thanks and put me out of my misery.

By way of making myself feel briefly better, which firms are guilty here?

On my end, either my own personal experience or what I've heard from friends, we're looking at the following culprits to date:


Latham
Crowell
Orrick
Covington
Jones Day

If any of the above firms want to call me, I'll still come in for a call back, swear.


I was rejected by Crowell via email last Friday and am aware of at least one CB from my school with them. I would guess no news means they are still keeping you under consideration.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Also looking at 1.5-2 weeks on Jones Day DC & NY, Sullivan Cromwell, Baker Hostetler DC & NY, Cadwalader and Dechert (I'm like, for sure dinged at Dechert; that interview did not go well).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:05 pm

A couple of LA firms are doing this to me. Not fun peeps.

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby barry » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 pm

Winston chi has been 14 days with nothing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 pm

I'm at 4 weeks on Baker Hostetler and DLA Piper (West Coast). Srsly, reject me or something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 am

I'm at 3 weeks with five Midwest firms (one MN and four Des Moines).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:33 am

at the ~3 week mark with:

milbank NY
cahill NY
latham non-NY
goodwin NY

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 am

Two weeks plus without word from:

Cooley (SV)
Mckenna (DC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:17 am

For me:

Skadden NY
Simpson
Dechert

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 am

This happened for me with Latham and Crowell. I did a mass mail screener, then received an offer at another firm. I let them know about the offer. They thanked me and said they'd get back to me. Didn't hear anything for a week so I re-contacted to see if I could provide any other info and express continued interest. Both recruiting coordinators indicated they were waiting to move through OCI and callbacks extended through OCI before they were considering me for a CB. My guess is that when you wait for awhile it's because they are either 1) still trying to establish how many CBs they want to extend and determining the field or 2) waiting to see how extended offers from on-going CBs play out. If you've heard that the offices you are interested in are extending CBs, I would guess that puts you in Category 2. But, that's all inferences and not firsthand knowledge at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:at the ~3 week mark with:

milbank NY
cahill NY
latham non-NY
goodwin NY


Cahill NY I heard back pretty quickly. Latham SF I heard back quickly as well, but I knew walking out the door that I'd bombed the interview horribly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Now approaching almost a month with:

Latham
Orrick
Covington
Crowell

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:03 pm

Wilson Sonsini..nearing 3 weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Screener + Week(s) of Silence

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:25 pm

After nearly two weeks of silence, I got a CB from a firm. Keep hope alive?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.