Jones Day Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 pm

any idea of callback times in the ATL office? had mine about a week ago...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Any offers for OC office? How far after CB was it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:15 am

For the student above asking for tips on his callback, I just received/accepted an offer from Jones Day recently (approximately 1 week after my cb), and I think basic interview advice is applicable. Know the firm, know the attorneys you are interviewing with, be prepared to answer questions such as, "Why Jones Day? What will you bring to our firm? Which areas of law do you think you want to practice in and why?" You know, the usual stuff.

I have since spoken with a couple of the attorneys who interviewed me and one good thing I heard from them was that I had a lot poise and it was evident that I really wanted to work at Jones Day. So, keep your energy up throughout the day. Also, don't be afraid to talk to the attorneys you're meeting with about things outside of the job. I think one of the key things the attorneys are looking for is a person with whom they will generally enjoy working. You're sitting in their office because they think you have the ability to do the work, so being friendly and easy to talk to in general can go a long way toward setting you apart from other people. In every one of my interviews we talked about something non-job/school related for at least 5 minutes or so and that conversation usually began with me asking about some item/picture in the attorney's office illustrating one of his/her personal interests.

Also, an easy question that I didn't ask at other cb interviews because I thought it was too cliched was, "Tell me about one of your most exciting deals/cases." For some reason, I finally decided to ask this question at the Jones Day cb, and I got some really good responses. Most times it was a funny story, but no matter what, you have your interviewer thinking about something happy and getting the chance to talk about his/her greatest accomplishments.

Do not ask about work/life balance or billable hours unless the attorney asks you something directly on point about one of those issues. There is no good reason to bring it up on your own. It's Big Law and the fact that you're going to work long hours shouldn't be surprising.

Finally, I would tell you to just let the conversation take its own path as much as possible. Listen to the person when they are talking (i.e. don't be formulating your next question and not paying attention), ask follow up questions when appropriate, and just relax a bit.

Anyways, good luck. I had a great experience overall interviewing with Jones Day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:56 am

JD-specific things to ask about are cross-office collaboration and the New Lawyers Group. Some of my interviewers (partners) brought up their black box compensation as a positive (stymies competition, promotes shared incentives), though I wouldn't introduce the subject yourself since compensation is a risky topic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Yea, they really like talking about the New Lawyers Group (NLG). I brought that up repeatedly when asked, "Why Jones Day?" Have a good understanding of how the NLG works so you can incorporate it into your own answers. At the very least, it shows you spent time researching the firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any idea of callback times in the ATL office? had mine about a week ago...


I heard back almost a week after my callback. My understanding is the hiring committee meets early in the week, each week, and calls go out shortly thereafter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any idea of callback times in the ATL office? had mine about a week ago...


I heard back almost a week after my callback. My understanding is the hiring committee meets early in the week, each week, and calls go out shortly thereafter.


So I've heard hiring committee meets on Tuesdays (usually). If that is the case, should I expect a call today/tonight if I am getting an offer? Had my callback late last week. Anyone that had a callback last week get a phone call today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any idea of callback times in the ATL office? had mine about a week ago...


I heard back almost a week after my callback. My understanding is the hiring committee meets early in the week, each week, and calls go out shortly thereafter.


So I've heard hiring committee meets on Tuesdays (usually). If that is the case, should I expect a call today/tonight if I am getting an offer? Had my callback late last week. Anyone that had a callback last week get a phone call today?



Also interested in this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 pm

this has been the experience at my school with ATL CBs. those of us with offers heard around 4pm on tuesday afternoon

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this has been the experience at my school with ATL CBs. those of us with offers heard around 4pm on tuesday afternoon



Jones Day Atlanta, in particular, or are you just talking about Atlanta firms other than Jones Day?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this has been the experience at my school with ATL CBs. those of us with offers heard around 4pm on tuesday afternoon



Jones Day Atlanta, in particular, or are you just talking about Atlanta firms other than Jones Day?


jones day atlanta.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:this has been the experience at my school with ATL CBs. those of us with offers heard around 4pm on tuesday afternoon



Jones Day Atlanta, in particular, or are you just talking about Atlanta firms other than Jones Day?


jones day atlanta.



Great to hear...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Sounds like OP has given up hope, but I am curious as to whether any JD ATL offers have gone out today?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like OP has given up hope, but I am curious as to whether any JD ATL offers have gone out today?


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 pm

same boat. that three of us...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm

looks like you three are still in the running considering the lack of responses. congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:looks like you three are still in the running considering the lack of responses. congrats!


nah its over for you

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Updates from anyone today? I was not one of the three that posted yesterday, but I'm in an equivalent situation and have yet to hear anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 pm

I haven't heard back from them. If someone hasn't contacted one of their recruiters, it might be a good idea to shoot them an email or give them a quick call. I was told by them last week that they were probably going to have a hiring committee meeting yesterday. No idea if they did or what. Honestly though, I'm thinking this ship has sailed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard back from them. If someone hasn't contacted one of their recruiters, it might be a good idea to shoot them an email or give them a quick call. I was told by them last week that they were probably going to have a hiring committee meeting yesterday. No idea if they did or what. Honestly though, I'm thinking this ship has sailed.


Really? How many CBs do you think they conducted Tuesday of last week or later? As of last night, four people in this position had yet to hear from them, and we haven't heard anything to the contrary subsequently. That has to be a significant portion of relevant candidates.

Also, I don't know what the CB to offer rates are at JD ATL, but I would be a bit surprised if all four of us last night happened to be among those who failed to convert. Maybe those who got offers aren't hanging around on the internet? Hmm... I'm not giving up hope quite yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard back from them. If someone hasn't contacted one of their recruiters, it might be a good idea to shoot them an email or give them a quick call. I was told by them last week that they were probably going to have a hiring committee meeting yesterday. No idea if they did or what. Honestly though, I'm thinking this ship has sailed.


Really? How many CBs do you think they conducted Tuesday of last week or later? As of last night, four people in this position had yet to hear from them, and we haven't heard anything to the contrary subsequently. That has to be a significant portion of relevant candidates.

Also, I don't know what the CB to offer rates are at JD ATL, but I would be a bit surprised if all four of us last night happened to be among those who failed to convert. Maybe those who got offers aren't hanging around on the internet? Hmm... I'm not giving up hope quite yet.


Honestly, I have no clue, but someone earlier posted that calls usually came on Tuesday afternoons. That coupled with the response I got from a recruiter about a meeting most likely happening on Tuesday make me to think not hearing anything is a pretty bad thing at this point. As for how many candidates could have been interviewed during the time in which they are making decisions about, I heard a story of a few people running into other candidates on the elevator, so it sounds like they may have had a bunch of people running around the office last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I haven't heard back from them. If someone hasn't contacted one of their recruiters, it might be a good idea to shoot them an email or give them a quick call. I was told by them last week that they were probably going to have a hiring committee meeting yesterday. No idea if they did or what. Honestly though, I'm thinking this ship has sailed.


Really? How many CBs do you think they conducted Tuesday of last week or later? As of last night, four people in this position had yet to hear from them, and we haven't heard anything to the contrary subsequently. That has to be a significant portion of relevant candidates.

Also, I don't know what the CB to offer rates are at JD ATL, but I would be a bit surprised if all four of us last night happened to be among those who failed to convert. Maybe those who got offers aren't hanging around on the internet? Hmm... I'm not giving up hope quite yet.


Honestly, I have no clue, but someone earlier posted that calls usually came on Tuesday afternoons. That coupled with the response I got from a recruiter about a meeting most likely happening on Tuesday make me to think not hearing anything is a pretty bad thing at this point. As for how many candidates could have been interviewed during the time in which they are making decisions about, I heard a story of a few people running into other candidates on the elevator, so it sounds like they may have had a bunch of people running around the office last week.


This speculation is brutal. I'm gonna wait it out until tomorrow and then give them a call. Hopefully some other will check in today and tonight. All these V20 firms yield protecting us is starting to get on my nerves ;)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't think the San Diego office has even started screeners.


I was under the impression, based on my experience at OCI, that all of their offices do screeners at the same time. It also goes with their One Firm, Worldwide slogan.


The San Diego office has actually already done some callbacks for USD students. (Not me though.)


any word on these callbacks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm one of the posters interested in ATL offers going out this week. Has anyone heard of calls going out or what?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day Callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm one of the posters interested in ATL offers going out this week. Has anyone heard of calls going out or what?


Nada. Hoping the apparently universal silence means we're still in the running.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.