Post-Offer Visits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post-Offer Visits

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:06 pm

I have my choice narrowed down to two and am going back for second visits. I am planning to meet with all associates from the practice group I am interested in. At some point during our conversations, I am thinking of letting them know that my decision is between their firm and this other firm and asking for their specific thoughts relative to my situation. Is this a terrible idea? I don't want to come across as awful or entitled (although I figure manner of delivery will be important).

GeePee

Re: Post-Offer Visits

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:27 pm

There's a good chance they'll ask you, anyway. They know why you're coming back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm

GeePee wrote:There's a good chance they'll ask you, anyway. They know why you're coming back.

Yes, they know I'm trying to make up my mind - but is telling them, specifically, who the other contender is...bad form?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:There's a good chance they'll ask you, anyway. They know why you're coming back.

Yes, they know I'm trying to make up my mind - but is telling them, specifically, who the other contender is...bad form?

This is relevant to my interests.

In addition, I know taking notes during OCI/CB interviews is a huge no-no, but is it okay to do so when talking to attorneys during a post-offer visit? I want to be able to compare the firms' responses later on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 am

I assume firms don't pay for these "post-offer" visits, correct?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I really don't think so. As GeePee said, they know you're coming back because you're considering an offer from at least one other firm. Given the circumstances, it would border on bad form to not tell them who the other contender is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I assume firms don't pay for these "post-offer" visits, correct?

I think they often do, actually.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have my choice narrowed down to two and am going back for second visits. I am planning to meet with all associates from the practice group I am interested in. At some point during our conversations, I am thinking of letting them know that my decision is between their firm and this other firm and asking for their specific thoughts relative to my situation. Is this a terrible idea? I don't want to come across as awful or entitled (although I figure manner of delivery will be important).

It's not bad form at all - in fact it's expected. Just deliver / ask your question in a non-douchey way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is relevant to my interests.

In addition, I know taking notes during OCI/CB interviews is a huge no-no, but is it okay to do so when talking to attorneys during a post-offer visit? I want to be able to compare the firms' responses later on.

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 am

Do firms mind flying you out to come do an offer visit? Even if its split with another firm (or firms)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know taking notes during OCI/CB interviews is a huge no-no

That is not true. My good friend from last year's cycle took copious notes at all interviews and got offers from 9 of 10 callbacks in 5 markets with ~top 1/3 grades at a lower t14.

I told this person I thought taking notes in interviews like that is freakin weird, but I've since found myself doing it very sparingly, without disastrous consequences.

snailio

Postby snailio » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I assume firms don't pay for these "post-offer" visits, correct?

I think they often do, actually.

Yes they do

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms mind flying you out to come do an offer visit? Even if its split with another firm (or firms)?

You should advise them of your splitting let them take it from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:02 am

In addition, I know taking notes during OCI/CB interviews is a huge no-no

Where do people get these "wisdom" nuggets from? I take copious notes during my screeners and I have been doing just fine. When interviewing with a dozen firms in a couple of days, or seeing 8 attorneys during a CB, they all start running together in the head. I can't possibly see what would be wrong with writing some stuff down. I have also found that notes taken during screeners have served me very well during callbacks.

This sort of stuff just doesn't matter the way students think it does. And heck, my interviewers DO take notes, some on my resume. Why on earth would I be expected not to? What is refraining from note taking supposed to demonstrate? My phenomenal memory?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:50 am

what kind of questions do you think is important to ask during these visits? i have one coming up and i want to make sure that i get more than a free meal out of it. i already know that i like the people and will definitely be using this experience to meet more and make sure i can see myself working at this firm, but are there any substantive questions that people fine useful to ask?

thanks!

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:55 am

Honestly, NOT telling them the name of the other firm is kind of bad form. They want to know. Besides, you will get much more useful information if you tell them. Sometimes they can find someone there who went through the same choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:44 pm

what is the typical attire for a post-offer lunch in the middle of a workday? most of the attorneys wore business casual, and i dont want to be overdressed, but i feel awkward not wearing a suit. thoughts?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
In addition, I know taking notes during OCI/CB interviews is a huge no-no

Where do people get these "wisdom" nuggets from? I take copious notes during my screeners and I have been doing just fine. When interviewing with a dozen firms in a couple of days, or seeing 8 attorneys during a CB, they all start running together in the head. I can't possibly see what would be wrong with writing some stuff down. I have also found that notes taken during screeners have served me very well during callbacks.

This sort of stuff just doesn't matter the way students think it does. And heck, my interviewers DO take notes, some on my resume. Why on earth would I be expected not to? What is refraining from note taking supposed to demonstrate? My phenomenal memory?

They are taking notes because they will file a written evaluation of you after you leave the office. WTF are you taking notes for? It would creep me the hell out if I were interviewing a candidate who was scribbling stuff down the whole time. I suppose if someone gave me a name I wanted to remember (like a contact in another department) I might say, "oh, let me write that down so I don't forget." But short of that....

Return to “Legal Employment”