Hogan DC offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

Did you get one? When did you interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you get one? When did you interview?


bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:34 pm

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Does anyone have any insight on how Hogan stacks up in DC? Nationally? How does it compare to Latham in DC? What about other DC firms? Would you take an offer here if you had other options in DC (namely Latham)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how Hogan stacks up in DC? Nationally? How does it compare to Latham in DC? What about other DC firms? Would you take an offer here if you had other options in DC (namely Latham)?


What practice areas are you interested in?

I've heard some slightly troubling things about the business health of both firms -- Hogan "slipping" post merger, and Latham with its stealth layoffs. I've been wanting to learn more about both, if anyone can enlighten....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:29 am

Interested in corporate, but not positive. Could you explain a little more about what you've heard about post-merger trouble (at Hogan) and stealth-layoffs (at Latham)? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in corporate, but not positive. Could you explain a little more about what you've heard about post-merger trouble (at Hogan) and stealth-layoffs (at Latham)? Thanks!


Well, Hogan and Latham are both band 1 in corporate in DC: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42855.
As for litigation in DC, Hogan is in band 2 and Latham is in no band: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42869.

I'm still trying to figure out the significance of these bands.

For mention of stealth layoffs at Latham, look up the "firms to avoid" thread.

The only thing I know about the post-merger trouble at Hogan is that people have mentioned it and that Hogan dropped in the Vault rankings for DC from 6 to 9 in the last year. I don't know if this is related, but people have also mentioned Hogan having trouble getting sufficient business in its satellite offices. Maybe the trouble offices are the ones acquired through the merger? Would love to learn more myself. I may look through abovethelaw, I guess....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interested in corporate, but not positive. Could you explain a little more about what you've heard about post-merger trouble (at Hogan) and stealth-layoffs (at Latham)? Thanks!


Well, Hogan and Latham are both band 1 in corporate in DC: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42855.
As for litigation in DC, Hogan is in band 2 and Latham is in no band: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42869.

I'm still trying to figure out the significance of these bands.

For mention of stealth layoffs at Latham, look up the "firms to avoid" thread.

The only thing I know about the post-merger trouble at Hogan is that people have mentioned it and that Hogan dropped in the Vault rankings for DC from 6 to 9 in the last year. I don't know if this is related, but people have also mentioned Hogan having trouble getting sufficient business in its satellite offices. Maybe the trouble offices are the ones acquired through the merger? Would love to learn more myself. I may look through abovethelaw, I guess....


All i could find in the firms to avoid thread said that Latham didn't do stealth layoffs (assuming because they cut so many people at once?). I searched for Hogan on ATL and it said that they are planning to layoff staff. I'm not sure what effect that has on attorneys. Anyone have any more insight on either firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:53 am

Ah. You're right about Latham. Was thinking about a different firm. Sorry.

Here's mention of "axing" in Latham's DC office: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=165908&p=4768018&hilit=+latham#p4768018.

Laying off staff at Hogan doesn't sound good....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ah. You're right about Latham. Was thinking about a different firm. Sorry.

Here's mention of "axing" in Latham's DC office: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=165908&p=4768018&hilit=+latham#p4768018.

Laying off staff at Hogan doesn't sound good....


No, it really doesn't. I worry that it's a sign of things to come at Hogan...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ah. You're right about Latham. Was thinking about a different firm. Sorry.

Here's mention of "axing" in Latham's DC office: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=165908&p=4768018&hilit=+latham#p4768018.

Laying off staff at Hogan doesn't sound good....


No, it really doesn't. I worry that it's a sign of things to come at Hogan...


And I had been thinking Hogan was a pretty safe bet. Damn.

I'm getting more and more nervous about what's happening in Europe, thinking I should maybe stick to a firm that's doing well financially.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ah. You're right about Latham. Was thinking about a different firm. Sorry.

Here's mention of "axing" in Latham's DC office: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=165908&p=4768018&hilit=+latham#p4768018.

Laying off staff at Hogan doesn't sound good....


No, it really doesn't. I worry that it's a sign of things to come at Hogan...


And I had been thinking Hogan was a pretty safe bet. Damn.

I'm getting more and more nervous about what's happening in Europe, thinking I should maybe stick to a firm that's doing well financially.


Same. Are you deciding between Hogan and Latham too?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ah. You're right about Latham. Was thinking about a different firm. Sorry.

Here's mention of "axing" in Latham's DC office: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=165908&p=4768018&hilit=+latham#p4768018.

Laying off staff at Hogan doesn't sound good....


No, it really doesn't. I worry that it's a sign of things to come at Hogan...


And I had been thinking Hogan was a pretty safe bet. Damn.

I'm getting more and more nervous about what's happening in Europe, thinking I should maybe stick to a firm that's doing well financially.


Same. Are you deciding between Hogan and Latham too?


Hogan and other firms. Latham didn't want me. :(

Here's more on the Latham "bloodbath":
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/nationwi ... 250-staff/

Maybe they're more stable than most, now, since they've already trimmed down?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:12 pm

No, it really doesn't. I worry that it's a sign of things to come at Hogan...[/quote]

And I had been thinking Hogan was a pretty safe bet. Damn.

I'm getting more and more nervous about what's happening in Europe, thinking I should maybe stick to a firm that's doing well financially.[/quote]

Same. Are you deciding between Hogan and Latham too?[/quote]

Hogan and other firms. Latham didn't want me. :(

Here's more on the Latham "bloodbath":
http://abovethelaw.com/2009/02/nationwi ... 250-staff/

Maybe they're more stable than most, now, since they've already trimmed down?[/quote]

Yea, that's my rationalization to myself (but I don't know if I really believe it or if I'm rationalizing). There are parts of both that make me really hesitant.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 am

Hogan gave a lot of staff the option of taking a "retirement" package, and they might have laid off a few. But they never laid off associates. Compare that to the dozens of firms (Latham being one of the most prominent) that laid off countless associates.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan gave a lot of staff the option of taking a "retirement" package, and they might have laid off a few. But they never laid off associates. Compare that to the dozens of firms (Latham being one of the most prominent) that laid off countless associates.


Could this be a sign of things to come, though? Put together people saying the merger has caused some problems, I worry this slimming down will eventually impact associates, as well. I would love to be convinced otherwise.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Quoth rayiner in different thread (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=166502&p=4782644#p4782644):

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm also considering a Hogan offer, and I have some concerns about Hogan's business outlook. . . .


I wouldn't worry about their buying out staff. Mergers create redundancies. That doesn't mean the firm is hurting.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:50 pm

Anyone have an idea of timeline b/w call back and offer or ding?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Hogan DC offers

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an idea of timeline b/w call back and offer or ding?


My offer came 3 days after my CB. I know others who've waited a week.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.