How do I take this letter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do I take this letter?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:47 pm

I go to school in the Midwest, but I have ties to the West Coast. I received the following letter in the mail today from a mid-sized firm I applied to. This firm typically only interviews at two schools in its area for a smallish (<5) SA class.

Dear xxx,

We very much appreciate your time and interest in applying for out 2012 Summer Associate Program. Please let me know if you plan a trip here, I would be happy to arrange a time for you to meet with our attorneys while you are here.

Sincerely,
Firm

It sounds like they're essentially saying if you're here, we'd love to talk to you, but we're not going to pay. But does the invitation sound more like a screener or a callback? If it's a screener, I'm a lot more hesitant to pay. But since it mentions "attorneys," that may indicate more of a callback style, and I would be more inclined to pay. I'm top 5% at a T25 for what it's worth.

azntwice

Re: How do I take this letter?

Postby azntwice » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:54 pm

sounds like a cb to me, but why don't you just email the recruiter and ask how long you would plan to spend at the firm? that should give you the answer. if less than an hour, probably screener. if 2+ hours, probably cb.

truevines

Re: How do I take this letter?

Postby truevines » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to school in the Midwest, but I have ties to the West Coast. I received the following letter in the mail today from a mid-sized firm I applied to. This firm typically only interviews at two schools in its area for a smallish (<5) SA class.

Dear xxx,

We very much appreciate your time and interest in applying for out 2012 Summer Associate Program. Please let me know if you plan a trip here, I would be happy to arrange a time for you to meet with our attorneys while you are here.

Sincerely,
Firm

It sounds like they're essentially saying if you're here, we'd love to talk to you, but we're not going to pay. But does the invitation sound more like a screener or a callback? If it's a screener, I'm a lot more hesitant to pay. But since it mentions "attorneys," that may indicate more of a callback style, and I would be more inclined to pay. I'm top 5% at a T25 for what it's worth.

It sounds like a callback for which you have to pay all the expenses yourself.

Return to “Legal Employment”