Phoenix CB's

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.

Impossible to know how much of that is due to self-selection, though I largely agree with your point.

I go to a T10. My friend who has southwestern (but not AZ) ties and top 15% grades received exactly zero interest from mass-mailing. I had worse grades (top 25%) but am a Phoenix native and I got seven callbacks in Phoenix.

I've never understood this. Phoenix is a city known for having a lot of non-native residents, but it seems like the law firms there are almost nativist in terms of hiring out of state attorneys. It's a shame, really. Way too many T14 students are turned away for what is a sort of dumb reason.

I can personally attest that its no worse than LA. Its probably waaaaay better than SF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Friend of mine at T14 had a Fennemore CB scheduled, but they e-mailed him to cancel. Not giving him a reason why. WTF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Friend of mine at T14 had a Fennemore CB scheduled, but they e-mailed him to cancel. Not giving him a reason why. WTF?

That is pretty TTT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know if Squire Sanders have given any callbacks for Phx?

Also, Bryan Cave might do a super callback

I have heard terrible, terrible things about these.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Is it a lot better to start your career in a NYC big firm, rather than an AZ big firm? I know it is a very broad question, but any input is appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a lot better to start your career in a NYC big firm, rather than an AZ big firm? I know it is a very broad question, but any input is appreciated.

Not if you want to practice in Arizona. Maybe if you want to practice in NY tho associates at the larger AZ firms get lots of offers to lateral to other markets in a good economy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:28 pm

Huh?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:35 pm

One thing that my mentor told me, as I was considering some big NYC firms with firms in Phoenix, was that there are attorneys in NYC whose whole book of business (moreso on the corporate side) is work that doesn't even exist in Phoenix.

So if you start in NYC doing that XYZ work that's only done in NYC, you have the "Skadden Swine and Polk" name that goes in front of you when you want to lateral to Phoenix (or other secondary market), but you don't have the technical experience that will be of benefit to a firm in Phoenix since they're not doing the work that you worked on your entire 2-5 years in NYC.

I'd imagine litigation or certain types of corporate work are better for lateraling to Phoenix.

Also, got to figure in the supply, price, and quality of the models and the bottles in Phoenix compared to NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:quality of the models and the bottles in Phoenix compared to NYC.

I'll put the ASU & Scottsdale girls up against NYC any day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:12 pm

One thing that my mentor told me, as I was considering some big NYC firms with firms in Phoenix, was that there are attorneys in NYC whose whole book of business (moreso on the corporate side) is work that doesn't even exist in Phoenix.

So if you start in NYC doing that XYZ work that's only done in NYC, you have the "Skadden Swine and Polk" name that goes in front of you when you want to lateral to Phoenix (or other secondary market), but you don't have the technical experience that will be of benefit to a firm in Phoenix since they're not doing the work that you worked on your entire 2-5 years in NYC.

I'd imagine litigation or certain types of corporate work are better for lateraling to Phoenix.

Also, got to figure in the supply, price, and quality of the models and the bottles in Phoenix compared to NYC.

You also have to remember that you probably won't HAVE a book of business if you go to NYC. While some PHX firms are also not great about facilitating business development among associates cough Lewis and Roca, cough others are quite good at it (Snell) and yet others give you ridiculous amounts of support and/or serious financial incentives to do it (GT Phoenix [only GT office with program]; Tiffany and Bosco)

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:quality of the models and the bottles in Phoenix compared to NYC.

I'll put the ASU & Scottsdale girls up against NYC any day.

Although NYC talent seems to have increased in recent years, it wouldn't even be close.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Friend of mine at T14 had a Fennemore CB scheduled, but they e-mailed him to cancel. Not giving him a reason why. WTF?

That is pretty TTT.

Wow, talk about bush league. I bet it's because they have interviewed enough students to fill their spots available. They probably don't see the point in spending time/money in flying a student out for a day of interviews. Still, if that's the reason, that's pretty lame. They should at least own up to it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:08 am

I chose Snell over a V5 and a V10 in NYC last year. I haven't regretted it.

If you know you want to practice in Phoenix for most of your career, aren't set on practicing in an NYC-specific area like capital markets, PE, or hedge funds, and you're not determined to impress your friends at your top law school with the prestige of your summer firm, I think a large Phoenix-based firm is the right choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I chose Snell over a V5 and a V10 in NYC last year. I haven't regretted it.

If you know you want to practice in Phoenix for most of your career, aren't set on practicing in an NYC-specific area like capital markets, PE, or hedge funds, and you're not determined to impress your friends at your top law school with the prestige of your summer firm, I think a large Phoenix-based firm is the right choice.

Really? I'm sure that makes you feel good that you took jobs from other people in Phoenix. Typical T14, taking jobs from the ones of us who actually appreciate being in Phoenix. I'm sure Snell is really proud to steal someone from the V5-10 ranks; have you asked if it can be put on your associate bio?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 am

Had a callback with Snell last week.. Got dinged this week... F*** Enjoyed it, but it sucks not getting an offer.. My only callback so far lolz

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I chose Snell over a V5 and a V10 in NYC last year. I haven't regretted it.

Really? I'm sure that makes you feel good that you took jobs from other people in Phoenix. Typical T14, taking jobs from the ones of us who actually appreciate being in Phoenix. I'm sure Snell is really proud to steal someone from the V5-10 ranks; have you asked if it can be put on your associate bio?

Come on, man. He/she didn't "take" that job "from" anyone. It didn't belong to anyone to begin with.

There are plenty of T14 students who've never lived in PHX but honestly and sincerely appreciate all it has to offer.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:

U mad bro?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:32 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

U mad bro?

oh he mad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He deeeeefinately mad.

U mad bro?

oh he mad

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Come on, man. He/she didn't "take" that job "from" anyone. It didn't belong to anyone to begin with.

There are plenty of T14 students who've never lived in PHX but honestly and sincerely appreciate all it has to offer.

I'm the original anon in this chain.

I go to a T14 school but I am from Arizona and have lived most of my life there. Of course I appreciate living in Phoenix - that's why I decided to come back rather than go to a bigger firm or bigger market. I mentioned that I declined top Vault-ranked firms in NYC not to brag, but to show a previous poster that choosing a top Phoenix firm over a top NYC firm is a fine decision if your long-term plan is to practice in Phoenix. It's a desirable market with high quality of life, low cost of living, and a history of great legal talent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You feel entitled to a job in Phoenix because you go to ASU/UA? lol

Maybe some of us do appreciate being in Phoenix, but also understand how difficult the market is and choose to go to a school that gives us a better opportunity to land a job in our hometown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Had a CB with OM. It was ~11 hours with lunch and dinner. Whewwww. Great firm, great people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB with OM. It was ~11 hours with lunch and dinner. Whewwww. Great firm, great people.

Details please? Its not like you need to worry about being outed, if you get the job, everyone will already know who you were.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You feel entitled to a job in Phoenix because you go to ASU/UA? lol

Maybe some of us do appreciate being in Phoenix, but also understand how difficult the market is and choose to go to a school that gives us a better opportunity to land a job in our hometown.

This post suffers from the exact same problem as the post it's replying to. The first acts like ASU/UA are superior, as they show someone actually wants to live in Phoenix. The second acts like the ASU/UA people should have gone to a T14 school if they really wanted to land a job in Phoenix.

They are both stupid. Let's stop fighting and sing kumbaya.

Return to “Legal Employment”