Phoenix CB's

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby najumobi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote: how long ago was your callback if you don't mind saying?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. No CB, but I did receive a letter from them saying I was still under consideration. So I'm not sure if a CB is coming or not.

Got a CB invite from Jones Skelton Hochuli today- ASU/UA.
ah ok...and congrats on nabbing CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Any news on Bryan Cave or Polsinelli offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Bump

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby najumobi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:31 pm

anyone have any updates regarding snell?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm

najumobi wrote:anyone have any updates regarding snell?


Ding one week after callback. Not a local school.


Any updates on Fennemore Craig??

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby najumobi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:anyone have any updates regarding snell?


Ding one week after callback. Not a local school.


Any updates on Fennemore Craig??

hhmm.....i'm a non-local, and have only had a screener, a week and a half ago
but i am curious to know how snell views those from out of state trying to work in their phoenix office...i think phoenix would be a great place to build a career, but i really have no idea whether i've convinced them that i wouldn't be a flight risk.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:13 pm

najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:anyone have any updates regarding snell?


Ding one week after callback. Not a local school.


Any updates on Fennemore Craig??

hhmm.....i'm a non-local, and have only had a screener, a week and a half ago
but i am curious to know how snell views those from out of state trying to work in their phoenix office...i think phoenix would be a great place to build a career, but i really have no idea whether i've convinced them that i wouldn't be a flight risk.


I heard last year's class was almost entirely locals, and all but one had previously lived in Phoenix.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:23 pm

najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:anyone have any updates regarding snell?


Ding one week after callback. Not a local school.


Any updates on Fennemore Craig??

hhmm.....i'm a non-local, and have only had a screener, a week and a half ago
but i am curious to know how snell views those from out of state trying to work in their phoenix office...i think phoenix would be a great place to build a career, but i really have no idea whether i've convinced them that i wouldn't be a flight risk.


If you don't have AZ ties, you better be the top student at a T20 to have a chance.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby najumobi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:hhmm.....i'm a non-local, and have only had a screener, a week and a half ago
but i am curious to know how snell views those from out of state trying to work in their phoenix office...i think phoenix would be a great place to build a career, but i really have no idea whether i've convinced them that i wouldn't be a flight risk.


I heard last year's class was almost entirely locals, and all but one had previously lived in Phoenix.


haha....welp i guess that doesn't bode well for my chances then.
though i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take me at my word that i wont cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars by bouncing after they've trained me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:36 pm

What is Jones Skelton's offer rate. Are they still at 67k base pay?


Also wondering about this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
What is Jones Skelton's offer rate. Are they still at 67k base pay?


Also wondering about this.


3L local ASU/UA here. I'm not sure their offer rate, but I do know a summer from this last summer that got an offer. I believe they only had a couple of summers (or maybe just the one), and I do not know the outcome of the others, if there were any.

I'm also not sure about their salary aside from the fact that it is (significantly, I believe) below market. I had a ding from them from last year after a screener, and they stick out for a few reasons: 1) their ding letter came on the ugliest letterhead, no joke, I know this is kind of a ridiculous thing to judge them on, but it looks as if it is from the 80s; 2) the recruiters at the screener were pretty ghetto, a bit rude, and one had the ugliest creeper stash I have ever seen on an attorney; and 3) it is my understanding that they absolutely do not allow offered SAs to keep their offers and take a clerkship.

I would stay away if you have any other offers, personally.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What is Jones Skelton's offer rate. Are they still at 67k base pay?


Also wondering about this.


3L local ASU/UA here. I'm not sure their offer rate, but I do know a summer from this last summer that got an offer. I believe they only had a couple of summers (or maybe just the one), and I do not know the outcome of the others, if there were any.

I'm also not sure about their salary aside from the fact that it is (significantly, I believe) below market. I had a ding from them from last year after a screener, and they stick out for a few reasons: 1) their ding letter came on the ugliest letterhead, no joke, I know this is kind of a ridiculous thing to judge them on, but it looks as if it is from the 80s; 2) the recruiters at the screener were pretty ghetto, a bit rude, and one had the ugliest creeper stash I have ever seen on an attorney; and 3) it is my understanding that they absolutely do not allow offered SAs to keep their offers and take a clerkship.

I would stay away if you have any other offers, personally.


Interesting. Was told they had 3 ASU students last summer and offered them all. Probably wouldn't take their offer compared to other larger firms, but it is still pretty good ITE.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:anyone have any updates regarding snell?


Ding one week after callback. Not a local school.


Any updates on Fennemore Craig??

hhmm.....i'm a non-local, and have only had a screener, a week and a half ago
but i am curious to know how snell views those from out of state trying to work in their phoenix office...i think phoenix would be a great place to build a career, but i really have no idea whether i've convinced them that i wouldn't be a flight risk.


If you don't have AZ ties, you better be the top student at HYS to have a chance.


Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.


Impossible to know how much of that is due to self-selection, though I largely agree with your point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.


Impossible to know how much of that is due to self-selection, though I largely agree with your point.


I go to a T10. My friend who has southwestern (but not AZ) ties and top 15% grades received exactly zero interest from mass-mailing. I had worse grades (top 25%) but am a Phoenix native and I got seven callbacks in Phoenix.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.


Impossible to know how much of that is due to self-selection, though I largely agree with your point.


I go to a T10. My friend who has southwestern (but not AZ) ties and top 15% grades received exactly zero interest from mass-mailing. I had worse grades (top 25%) but am a Phoenix native and I got seven callbacks in Phoenix.


I've met plenty of people at good schools with good grades who broke the market w/o heavy ties, mostly pre-ite tho.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Anyone know Snell offer rates from this past summer?

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby najumobi » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Snell offer rates from this past summer?
i have no idea what % they offered this past summer, but their policy (from their website) is that their summer program is non-competitive and anyone who summers there is pretty much offered....this is supported by the 2010 data which shows all but one of their 18-21? summers were given offers. so it seems you would have to be a bad or even abysmal summer associate to not get a permanent offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm

najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Snell offer rates from this past summer?
i have no idea what % they offered this past summer, but their policy (from their website) is that their summer program is non-competitive and anyone who summers there is pretty much offered....this is supported by the 2010 data which shows all but one of their 18-21? summers were given offers. so it seems you would have to be a bad or even abysmal smmer associate to not get a permanent offer.


Everyone except for one SA received an offer last year. Supposedly he/she did quite poorly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Snell offer rates from this past summer?
i have no idea what % they offered this past summer, but their policy (from their website) is that their summer program is non-competitive and anyone who summers there is pretty much offered....this is supported by the 2010 data which shows all but one of their 18-21? summers were given offers. so it seems you would have to be a bad or even abysmal smmer associate to not get a permanent offer.


Everyone except for one SA received an offer last year. Supposedly he/she did quite poorly.


2010 Phoenix summer class: 6/7
2011 Phoenix summer class: 8/8

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fixed that for you.

And even then, I don't think good grades at HYS would be enough. I have yet to meet anyone who has summered in Phoenix post-ITE who did not have prior significant ties.


Impossible to know how much of that is due to self-selection, though I largely agree with your point.


I go to a T10. My friend who has southwestern (but not AZ) ties and top 15% grades received exactly zero interest from mass-mailing. I had worse grades (top 25%) but am a Phoenix native and I got seven callbacks in Phoenix.


I've never understood this. Phoenix is a city known for having a lot of non-native residents, but it seems like the law firms there are almost nativist in terms of hiring out of state attorneys. It's a shame, really. Way too many T14 students are turned away for what is a sort of dumb reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:50 am

It's probably more because firms CAN be selective and they have enough people with significant ties to find a great summer class, that they're just going to hire locals or people with significant ties, rather than going with someone from out of state.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's probably more because firms CAN be selective and they have enough people with significant ties to find a great summer class, that they're just going to hire locals or people with significant ties, rather than going with someone from out of state.


This is right. Back when summer classes at places like Snell and Fennemore were 20+, then of course these firms were willing to take some risks on people without significant ties. The firms were going to end up enough homegrown potential partners seven years later even if all of the non-natives had left the firm by then. Now the big firms have to be a lot more selective with only five to ten summer slots, and that means requiring a significant connection to Arizona.

Two other things to consider:

(1) Yes. Lots of partners are non-natives. But they came to the city in the '70s and '80s, back when there weren't many natives to speak of. Today, there are plenty of Phoenix natives at every top law school. So firms just have to select those who are serious about coming back home.

(2) Phoenix firms aren't so big that they don't think about rainmaking potential when they look at summer associate candidates. Phoenix natives are going to have more local connections and develop relationships with clients (who will also be increasingly "native" in the next few decades) more easily. If you grew up in North Central or Biltmore, went to BCP/XCP/PCDS, grew up as a member of Phoenix Country Club, etc. you are going to have an undeniable leg up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:02 pm

:D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273135
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Phoenix CB's

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Just because some T14 students with good grades haven't gotten offers from Phoenix firms doesn't mean it's not possible. I'm at MVP with top 1/4 grades and got offers. Turned them down for another market, but it's still possible. At the callback level, it's still a lot about fit, even if you have the grades/ties/school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.