Phoenix CB's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Phoenix CB's

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB with Osborn. T-40, T 5%, LR, OOS.
Interesting. I didn't even get a screener with them. T10, Top 25%, AZ resident.

Congrats...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats...
Ditto. T10, LR, same range, no screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats...

I'm told they want very top of class in any candidate. You'll see more top 1, 2, 3 students from local schools than top 1/3 or 1/4 from higher ranked schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats...

I'm told they want very top of class in any candidate. You'll see more top 1, 2, 3 students from local schools than top 1/3 or 1/4 from higher ranked schools.
According to NALP, the incoming OM summer associate class size is a whopping 1. Congrats to the chosen 1.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
According to NALP, the incoming OM summer associate class size is a whopping 1. Congrats to the chosen 1.

Supposedly they are bringing back a 1L and a second 2L, for a total of 2. Regardless of size it is a good place to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Supposedly they are bringing back a 1L and a second 2L, for a total of 2. Regardless of size it is a good place to be.
It was never said that OM was not a good place to be. The extremely small SA class size certainly allows them to cherry pick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was never said that OM was not a good place to be. The extremely small SA class size certainly allows them to cherry pick.
I thought that they didn't make offers out of their summer program so much anymore?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Can you speak to the benefits of OM? I'm interested in any thoughts folks might have. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Can you speak to the benefits of OM? I'm interested in any thoughts folks might have. Thank you.
Different user: AZ market pay, low billables (and billing expectations), good partnership prospects, extremely high level litigation work with renowned litigators.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks to everyone participating in this thread. This is extremely helpful for those of us who are currently applying and want to end up back in Phoenix! It helps to have this information when deciding which school to attend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Different user: AZ market pay, low billables (and billing expectations), good partnership prospects, extremely high level litigation work with renowned litigators.
The NALP form indicates that 1800 is the requirement. In my experience the NALP numbers are understated and do not accurately capture the reality of billing demands. Is that not the case at Osborn?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more movement?

Did anybody get a letter from Gammage & Burnham stating that the candidate is still under consideration? I know someone that got a letter like that, but I did not get one. It also seems kind of funky.
I received one of these letters last Friday. Seems like their process is going to be pretty drawn out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did anybody get a letter from Gammage & Burnham stating that the candidate is still under consideration? I know someone that got a letter like that, but I did not get one. It also seems kind of funky.
I received one of these letters last Friday. Seems like their process is going to be pretty drawn out.

Local school? Did you have a CB?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm

The NALP form indicates that 1800 is the requirement. In my experience the NALP numbers are understated and do not accurately capture the reality of billing demands. Is that not the case at Osborn?
From what I understand Osborn is an exception to that rule. Or, at least, they expect fewer hours actually billed during a good year than other Valley firms that claim an 1,800 min.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
From what I understand Osborn is an exception to that rule. Or, at least, they expect fewer hours actually billed during a good year than other Valley firms that claim an 1,800 min.
Thank you for this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Local school? Did you have a CB?
ASU/UA. Can't answer the second question for reasons that could out me, sorry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you for this.
Np.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:00 am

Interviewer for FC said that they are only looking for 4-5 SA's. Thought I'd point this out as it differs greatly from their NALP forecast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer for FC said that they are only looking for 4-5 SA's. Thought I'd point this out as it differs greatly from their NALP forecast.
Read closely. The NALP forms are only updated once a year, in April. So all of the expected numbers of SAs listed are for the summer of 2011, not for 2012.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:53 am

People who know phoenix:

I am considering 4 firms. Can you briefly describe your impression for culture and quality at each of these Phoenix branches? I know local brands differ from national or web reputation.

Ballard Spahr
Steptoe and Johnson
Tiffany and Bosco
Bryan Cave

I appreciate any help. Just looking for a local perspective.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:People who know phoenix:

I am considering 4 firms. Can you briefly describe your impression for culture and quality at each of these Phoenix branches? I know local brands differ from national or web reputation.

Ballard Spahr
Steptoe and Johnson
Tiffany and Bosco
Bryan Cave

Ballard Spahr - New to Phoenix. Has grown from about 15 to 35 lawyers in the roughly 5 years since their office opened.

Steptoe and Johnson - NALP form lists them as paying $10K more than market. They also require the most billables. I heard they are working on NBA lockout stuff which is pretty cool.

Tiffany and Bosco - Boutique firm. Great reputation, but I don't know if it's the name or what, but I've got the sense from other people that they are very highbrow. Perhaps this is why they are located in the Biltmore area of town. Very, very selective, and I heard an unconfirmed rumor that a SA position at T&B carries no implicit guarantee of a job offer.

Bryan Cave - People I've talked to there are happy with what they do. They've got a good reputation in Phoenix. I don't really know what else there is to say.

You probably know this, but Phoenix offices in general are less formal than other offices. Most people can get away with the button-up/no tie look, or even usually just a polo. Major congrats, btw, if you have an offer from any of these firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:People who know phoenix:

Ballard Spahr
Steptoe and Johnson
Tiffany and Bosco
Bryan Cave

Offers? Do you have ties to AZ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Tiffany and Bosco - Great reputation, Very, very selective,
Is this a joke? T&B has a terrible reputation.

1) They pay below market.

2) Known as a sweatshop.

3) This is a firm that would rather no-offer their SAs and then go get laterals from small firms.

4) Not that selective. Several ASU/UA people without honors/LR. Several T3/T4 people.

5) Once had a chat about firms with people from one of the S&W/FC/L&R. Tiffany & Bosco elicited some chuckles.

To the person deciding among Steptoe, Ballard Spahr, Bryan Cave, and Tiffany & Bosco: I think you'd be making a bad choice by going to either Bryan Cave or Tiffany & Bosco.

T&B is bad for the reasons mentioned above, and Bryan Cave has lost important rainmaking partners (and business) at an alarming rate in the last few years.

Steptoe, on the other hand, is a prestigious national name with a solid Phoenix office, and they pay above market. A great place if you want to do litigation, especially employment litigation. Ballard Spahr would perhaps be the best choice for you if you want to do corporate or real estate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:29 am

Any movement on Perkins Coie?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”