Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone accepted at Irell yet? seriously considering the offer, but wondering what everyone else is thinking about the firm and other options.

Recently accepted. I am very excited about the firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:02 pm

Today marks one month since my callback... :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Today marks one month since my callback... :/

I had a Bingham callback 5 weeks ago. Radio silence since.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Bingham SF? My friend got an offer from there already...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I had heard of a few people getting offers. I'm unsure if they are just waiting to ding everyone or if I'm just on some sort of hold.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, I had heard of a few people getting offers. I'm unsure if they are just waiting to ding everyone or if I'm just on some sort of hold.

You're on hold. I also know people who have gotten rejections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:24 pm

Anyone heard anything from Pillsbury SF? Had a callback there about 2 weeks ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything from Pillsbury SF? Had a callback there about 2 weeks ago

What about Perkins SF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 am

Has anyone heard of someone getting an offer almost 5 weeks after the callback? ugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of someone getting an offer almost 5 weeks after the callback? ugh.

I'm in the same boat with Sheppard Mullin San Diego. I wonder if it's possible to still get an offer from them.

Also, has ANYONE gotten an offer from Rutan??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 am

Covington SF offer today. CB a week ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am

user delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Any news from Paul Hastings OC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Paul Hastings OC?

Waiting

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Paul Hastings OC?

Waiting

On the OC Callback page, looks like one person got an offer:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=163903&start=25

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

has anyone heard from Stradling?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had callbacks with Reed Smith, Sedgwick, and Morgan Lewis all SF offices, all over two weeks ago. I thought they all went pretty well.

I've had no responses from any of them. Sedgwick sent an e-mail saying they are still making decisions, and Morgan Lewis suggested that I fill out their diversity application that I'm guessing was a mass e-mail. Other than that, silence.

I send e-mails to recruiters? Wait it out? Call crying and begging or an offer? :?

I know they've all extended offers, so if you haven't heard, the firms are probably waiting to see if anyone declines before giving out more offers. Have you followed up with all three recruiters, and what have their responses been?

After talking with some other people I definitely think they just have a holding list. I talked to someone who worked at Reed Smith last summer and she said she didn't get an offer until the week before Thanksgiving last year. Other people told me that no news is good news because there will be a lot of movement in October.

Sedgwick recruiter said that they are trying to get back to people this week-- I haven't heard any movement about them at all, so maybe they are just slow. Reed Smith recruiter said "You're still on our radar, hold on." Morgan Lewis recruiter didn't respond to an e-mail sent yesterday...

Lots of movement in October for all firms generally? Or just for Reed Smith / Sedgwick?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:04 pm

user delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After talking with some other people I definitely think they just have a holding list. I talked to someone who worked at Reed Smith last summer and she said she didn't get an offer until the week before Thanksgiving last year. Other people told me that no news is good news because there will be a lot of movement in October.

Sedgwick recruiter said that they are trying to get back to people this week-- I haven't heard any movement about them at all, so maybe they are just slow. Reed Smith recruiter said "You're still on our radar, hold on." Morgan Lewis recruiter didn't respond to an e-mail sent yesterday...

Lots of movement in October for all firms generally? Or just for Reed Smith / Sedgwick?

Lots of movement generally. I talked to an ex-recruiter at a major law firm in SF and he said that in the first round of offers his firm gave, only half of them were accepted--this wasn't a firm with a huge summer class either. Then they turned to their "waitlist" to make a second round of offers. Then a third. So he told me to stay optimistic because there will be a lot of movement all over the market in Oct.

Ahh, thanks for the info. THe firm I'm waiting is only extending 2 offers though, so we'll see what happens. What's your first choice among Sedgwick / Morgan Lewis / Reed Smith? Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone accepted at Irell yet? seriously considering the offer, but wondering what everyone else is thinking about the firm and other options.

Congrats! Care elaborating on the decision? I am leaning heavily towards Irell, but have some concerns about the breadth of its practice and exit options into gov't. Who else were you considering?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! Care elaborating on the decision? I am leaning heavily towards Irell, but have some concerns about the breadth of its practice and exit options into gov't. Who else were you considering?

If it helps, I am leaning just accepted GDC OC over IM LA and Sheppard OC. A lot of it was location (prefer OC to LA), some of it was just feeling/fit, and some was that I am undecided between litigation and transactional (IM has transactional, but I felt/read it was maybe less than at other similar firms). I think IM is an amazing firm, and the people I met were great. If their offices were located right next to each other... that would be a really tough call.

Best part of IM, besides of course huge bonuses, is the stark honesty I got from partners and associates. They seem to be a no bones about it type of firm that reviews associates on work product and work product alone, not office BS. Early responsibility seems to be a requirement, not just lip service. Also, the lunch I had there was the swankiest, someplace in Beverly Hills.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had callbacks with Reed Smith, Sedgwick, and Morgan Lewis all SF offices, all over two weeks ago. I thought they all went pretty well.

I've had no responses from any of them. Sedgwick sent an e-mail saying they are still making decisions, and Morgan Lewis suggested that I fill out their diversity application that I'm guessing was a mass e-mail. Other than that, silence.

I send e-mails to recruiters? Wait it out? Call crying and begging or an offer? :?

I know they've all extended offers, so if you haven't heard, the firms are probably waiting to see if anyone declines before giving out more offers. Have you followed up with all three recruiters, and what have their responses been?

After talking with some other people I definitely think they just have a holding list. I talked to someone who worked at Reed Smith last summer and she said she didn't get an offer until the week before Thanksgiving last year. Other people told me that no news is good news because there will be a lot of movement in October.

Just turned down my Morgan Lewis SF offer, so there's still hope for at least someone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ahh, thanks for the info. THe firm I'm waiting is only extending 2 offers though, so we'll see what happens. What's your first choice among Sedgwick / Morgan Lewis / Reed Smith? Good luck!

I really liked them all, and I'd love to work at any of them. Right now I'm hoping for any offer, if I get more than one then I'll have to start ranking them. lol. Good luck to you too!

Anonymous User wrote:
Just turned down my Morgan Lewis SF offer, so there's still hope for at least someone.

Thanks for posting!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If it helps, I am leaning just accepted GDC OC over IM LA and Sheppard OC. A lot of it was location (prefer OC to LA), some of it was just feeling/fit, and some was that I am undecided between litigation and transactional (IM has transactional, but I felt/read it was maybe less than at other similar firms). I think IM is an amazing firm, and the people I met were great. If their offices were located right next to each other... that would be a really tough call.

Best part of IM, besides of course huge bonuses, is the stark honesty I got from partners and associates. They seem to be a no bones about it type of firm that reviews associates on work product and work product alone, not office BS. Early responsibility seems to be a requirement, not just lip service. Also, the lunch I had there was the swankiest, someplace in Beverly Hills.

thanks for the info. i really like IM, but am deciding between two other firms at the moment. i agree about the honesty - it's something i really like about the firm. i definitely got the best "feel" from IM, but i don't like that they made the summer program only 10 weeks and the general feeling over the past couple of years that compensation is being hoarded at the top more than in the past. that said, bonuses are still above market and its a great firm for real responsibility. just worried that it might be losing some of its uniqueness re: low leverage, associate comp, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:06 pm

So it seems like people on hold for firms won't be hearing back for a while. Does anyone know someone who received an offer a month, a month and a half, or even two months after callback?

Return to “Legal Employment”