Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Legal recruiter of a firm called me about a week after my callback, saying multiple times I was one of the firm's top candidates and the committee had great things to say about me, but the firm needed to be fair and conduct its last set of callbacks before extending offers. It's been one week, and I heard recently the firm extended an offer to a student from another school. Haven't heard of offers from my own school yet. Not sure if this firm extends all offers at once.

Does this mean I'm out? And do legal recruiters usually leave voicemails like that...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from STB Palo Alto this week? Interviewed on thursday and waiting with bated breath.

i think simpson thacher is handing offers the day of callbacks... that's what i've been hearing.

Seems to be conflicting info. From what I've gathered:
1) they wait until everyone from your school has completed their CB
2) Hiring committee seems to meet on Wednesdays.
3) despite 1 and 2, some people get offers that day - I wonder if they were all the last ones from their school to have their callback, which was on a Wednesday morning. That would be consistent with one and two.

Anonymous User wrote:
Heard from them after a Thursday interview, but subsequently turned down offer. Good luck!

AWESOME! Hopefully there are more people in your situation and I can scoop up a spot!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CBs completed (SF):
Kirkland & Ellis
Jones Day
Paul Hastings
DLA Piper
Shartsis Friese
Farella Braun
Quinn Emanuel
Winston & Strawn

CBs completed (Palo Alto):
Mayer Brown
WilmerHale
MoFo
Simpson Thacher
Perkins Coie

CBs pending:
Manatt (SF)

CB->Ding:
Jones Day
Kirkland & Ellis

Offer:
PLEASE, LAW GOD, FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST, DO NOT LET ME GO 0-14.

If you go 0-14 on CB's there is something wrong with you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CBs completed (SF):
Kirkland & Ellis
Jones Day
Paul Hastings
DLA Piper
Shartsis Friese
Farella Braun
Quinn Emanuel
Winston & Strawn

CBs completed (Palo Alto):
Mayer Brown
WilmerHale
MoFo
Simpson Thacher
Perkins Coie

CBs pending:
Manatt (SF)

CB->Ding:
Jones Day
Kirkland & Ellis

Offer:
PLEASE, LAW GOD, FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST, DO NOT LET ME GO 0-14.

If you go 0-14 on CB's there is something wrong with you.

HAHAHA. I remember seeing this weeks ago and having the same thought. ive got similar CB stats, and im fine right now.
Best part is, at the time of the writing, the person had only been dinged from ~14% of their callbacks. It only takes one and 1/12 aint that bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Legal recruiter of a firm called me about a week after my callback, saying multiple times I was one of the firm's top candidates and the committee had great things to say about me, but the firm needed to be fair and conduct its last set of callbacks before extending offers. It's been one week, and I heard recently the firm extended an offer to a student from another school. Haven't heard of offers from my own school yet. Not sure if this firm extends all offers at once.

Does this mean I'm out? And do legal recruiters usually leave voicemails like that...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Legal recruiter of a firm called me about a week after my callback, saying multiple times I was one of the firm's top candidates and the committee had great things to say about me, but the firm needed to be fair and conduct its last set of callbacks before extending offers. It's been one week, and I heard recently the firm extended an offer to a student from another school. Haven't heard of offers from my own school yet. Not sure if this firm extends all offers at once.

I have no direct experience with recruiters and I imagine most of the people here do not either. This is an OCI forum and no OCI I know involves recruiters. Thus, chances of a recruiter seeing this and answering, or someone who used a recruiter answering, are slim.

I do however have the ability to reason.
There is really no reason for recruiter to lie to you - or at least I can't think of a valid one. What does she stand to gain from that?
Her mission is to find you a job so she can get paid. If the firms did not really have an interest in you, then I imagine recruiter would not really be that interested in you anymore and would essentially drop you. Now, some people feel compelled to let others down easy, and that might be whats happening.

To see if that's what's going on, I'd send her an email a day and a phone call a day, asking reasonable questions. If she is super slow to respond and when she does, its an easy one liner, then I would not count on recruiter.

If, on the other hand, recruiter is very receptive to your questions and diligent in answering them, recruiter was likely being honest.

Either way, theres really nothing to do but wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have no direct experience with recruiters and I imagine most of the people here do not either. This is an OCI forum and no OCI I know involves recruiters. Thus, chances of a recruiter seeing this and answering, or someone who used a recruiter answering, are slim.

I do however have the ability to reason.
There is really no reason for recruiter to lie to you - or at least I can't think of a valid one. What does she stand to gain from that?
Her mission is to find you a job so she can get paid. If the firms did not really have an interest in you, then I imagine recruiter would not really be that interested in you anymore and would essentially drop you. Now, some people feel compelled to let others down easy, and that might be whats happening.

To see if that's what's going on, I'd send her an email a day and a phone call a day, asking reasonable questions. If she is super slow to respond and when she does, its an easy one liner, then I would not count on recruiter.

If, on the other hand, recruiter is very receptive to your questions and diligent in answering them, recruiter was likely being honest.

Either way, theres really nothing to do but wait.

Thank you so much for the input! You're right, in the end, there's nothing I can do but wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:16 pm

MoFo SF offer today. Liked the firm a great deal, so seriously considering it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 pm

It's likely that they did like you a lot and want to keep you on the hook so you don't accept another offer while they are making their decisions. That said, it might not be a bad idea to follow up in a few days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It's likely that they did like you a lot and want to keep you on the hook so you don't accept another offer while they are making their decisions. That said, it might not be a bad idea to follow up in a few days.

Thanks. I followed up this morning, but I haven't gotten any response. ughhhhhhh. This is so cryptic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MoFo SF offer today. Liked the firm a great deal, so seriously considering it.

Congrats on the offer. I thought MoFo SF was my top choice before my callback, but then didn't get a good vibe at all. Got offer, but thinking of turning it down. I'm worried I just had bad interviewers though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:MoFo SF offer today. Liked the firm a great deal, so seriously considering it.

Congrats on the offer. I thought MoFo SF was my top choice before my callback, but then didn't get a good vibe at all. Got offer, but thinking of turning it down. I'm worried I just had bad interviewers though...

Thanks. I actually had a similar experience on my callback (though with associates, not the partners). I'm weighing that against the other uniformly positive interactions I've had with MoFo folks at events this year and last. I'm very torn on how to treat <5 interactions at the office versus 30+ outside of it.

TL;DR: Dunno what I'm going to do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. I actually had a similar experience on my callback (though with associates, not the partners). I'm weighing that against the other uniformly positive interactions I've had with MoFo folks at events this year and last. I'm very torn on how to treat <5 interactions at the office versus 30+ outside of it.

Ha, wonder if we interviewed with the same associates. I feel like associate happiness is really what is most relevant to our interests in the next few years. Congrats again.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'd say don't work at MoFo.
During my CB, the hiring partner straight up told me "We have a very high rate of associate turnover - we need about 100 a year."
Also, I was just reading the "No Offers Thread" and someone was talking about how MoFo didn't send dings after CBs. After investing all that time, they couldn't even email a form email? That would take a total of 15 seconds.

No Manners
No smiles
Noone appeared happy (except one person who was working part-time and I think the happiness was just her personality.
Associates do not stay there.

Aside from a great reputation (that they share with many other firms), why would anyone want to work there??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 pm

i think last post may have derailed conversation.

Any california CB updates??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i think last post may have derailed conversation.

I just heard back from my last CB last night. Offer from Fenwick. Thought it was going to be a ding since all my other CBs had no more than a 1-2 day turnaround from CB to offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Any info from Goodwin LA or Alston + Bird LA??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I just heard back from my last CB last night. Offer from Fenwick. Thought it was going to be a ding since all my other CBs had no more than a 1-2 day turnaround from CB to offer.

Congrats! Would you be able to tell us when your Fenwick interview was (generally)? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Anybody else having an extremely low CB:offer ratio? Top 1/3 at CCN and escaped with only 1 offer after nearly a dozen CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats! Would you be able to tell us when your Fenwick interview was (generally)? Thanks!

Early last week, interviewing for corporate/MV office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody else having an extremely low CB:offer ratio? Top 1/3 at CCN and escaped with only 1 offer after nearly a dozen CB.

Ugh, sorry. I've been the opposite. 100% Screener -> CB -> Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm

has anyone heard anything about whats going on in san diego?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Think all of these have been touched, but offers from K&E LA, GDC LA, OMM LA, Ropes & Gray PA, Latham SV, and Quinn SF. Need help choosing one of those four for litigation, likely IP--liked GDC and Quinn the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Think all of these have been touched, but offers from K&E LA, GDC LA, OMM LA, Ropes & Gray PA, Latham SV, and Quinn SF. Need help choosing one of those four for litigation, likely IP--liked GDC and Quinn the best.

I would pick between GDC and Quinn based on where you want to be.

Return to “Legal Employment”