Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Callback, offers, dings - CA thread!

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had my WSGR callback almost 2 weeks ago now. Under the impression their hiring committee meets on Wednesdays, and I've heard nothing. I was hoping today would be my day. Is there a rejection in the mail? Am I on some kind of waitlist? They're my top choice right now, so I'm hoping for an honest opinion on where I stand here...

I'm pretty sure the committee meets Wednesdays, whenever there are posts of CBs/offers, they tend to have been on Wednesdays.

That being said, when I was at my CB, I was told yes's and no's hear right away, and maybes get stuck in a bit of a holding pattern unfortunately. It took over 2 weeks for me to hear back, and I was lucky enough to get an offer. You're not out till they make it official. Fingers crossed for you.

Well, sounds like another week of nail-biting for me then. Does anyone know if they do their post-cb dings by email or snail?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Howard Rice (SF) offer today. Loved them, likely going to accept.

Also got an offer... really liked the firm/people but not 100% sure. How do you feel about Howard Rice vs Munger or Irell (unfortunately in LA.)

Congrats (on all three)! I know people who have chosen each when making that decision. I'd likely pick between Munger and HR, unless you have a big interest in patent work (if that's the case, go Irell and don't look back). Munger has a shorter partnership track (5.5 years to 7.5 years) and more national prestige, so most people would probably go there. I liked the people at HR much more than those at Munger, and it felt much more like a lifestyle firm. Both are places that want you to make a career there, though, which I liked.

If you want LA: Munger, obviously.
If you want SF: Wash, maybe slight Munger edge (MTO claims you can automatically transfer to SF after the summer, though I don't know how much you can bank on that).

I'll admit though, I'm a huge Howard Rice fan, so I'm probably a bit biased.

Yeah, I really, really liked the people at HR. I also like the firm size. One problem - I am interested in patent/tech work, just not exclusively. I'd like to dip my finger into a wide variety of cases my first few years of practice, including some patent work. I think HR (and Munger) offer a better opportunity to become a great generalist litigator [and I won't get pigeon-holed into just patent work], but I'm not sure they have a threshold amount of tech/patent cases. Alternatively, if I hate the one partner who does that kind of case, my life might be very unpleasant.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 am

Anyone who interviewed at Latham LA this week get an offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:51 pm

any offers out there from Jones Day SF? Trying to see if I'm still alive there. Been over a week since the CB, but I hear they have a rep for moving slowly. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:04 pm

Anyone who interviewed at Latham LA this week get an offer yet?

This probably doesn't help you too much, but I received an offer about a week after I interviewed. I didn't interview this week, but I did interview recently. I think they promised to get back to us within a week, but in reality, it was more like 9 or 10 days, so don't get too restless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know some people mentioned K&E(SF) earlier and I know it took between 2-3 days and a week to hear back for offers. I had my interview last Thursday, have great stats and I thought had great interviews, but have not heard since then. Do people know when their hiring committee meets (every Wednesday/Thursday)? I was told a week, but the anxiety is killing me, since I really liked them.

Have it on strong authority that hiring committee meets Thursday, and you hear either thursday evening or Friday, depending on how busy they are on thursdays. Also, sometimes the committee doesn't manage to get together, so don't freak out too much.

Agreed on not freaking out too much. One more thing to add: it tends to take progressively longer the further on in the recruiting process. There are fewer slots to fill and so they're not quite as ready and willing to get back to you. I had one place that took more than 2 weeks to get back to me even after I heard that some people got offers within a couple days. Sometimes it's a matter of someone saying no and then that opening up a slot. Best of luck to you.

Thanks! I really appreciate the information and am definitely trying to not freak out. But thanks again, and good luck to you too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:08 pm

Anyone know Skadden LA's general timeline?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know Skadden LA's general timeline?

Also interested in this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:49 pm

Two friends got offers day after CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Kirkland SF offer today. Interviewed early this week. Almost certainly will be declining though, so hopefully it frees up a spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

what time during the day do firms typically call to extend offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what time during the day do firms typically call to extend offers.

+1.

ResIpsa21

Postby ResIpsa21 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what time during the day do firms typically call to extend offers.

+1.

No answer to this question. Depends on the firm, depends on the day, depends on the mood of the hiring partner / recruiter making the call. Could be 9AM, could be 8PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm

They call when they have time. Especially if it is an attorney making the calls. They've got a million clients to take care of, and atty recruiting isn't a billable activity. Ive gotten a call at 9 am, and heard of others after 530 pm. I've seen people shoot out of their seats and run outside to answer a call at school throughout the day.

Unfortunately, there's no time set. Best guess is to figure out which day hiring committee meets and be nervous those days, haha. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They call when they have time. Especially if it is an attorney making the calls. They've got a million clients to take care of, and atty recruiting isn't a billable activity. Ive gotten a call at 9 am, and heard of others after 530 pm. I've seen people shoot out of their seats and run outside to answer a call at school throughout the day.

Unfortunately, there's no time set. Best guess is to figure out which day hiring committee meets and be nervous those days, haha. Good luck!

thanks for the info! getting nervous, but i guess i'll just have to wait it out. seems like ca is generally slower in giving out offers than other markets anyhow...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:They call when they have time. Especially if it is an attorney making the calls. They've got a million clients to take care of, and atty recruiting isn't a billable activity. Ive gotten a call at 9 am, and heard of others after 530 pm. I've seen people shoot out of their seats and run outside to answer a call at school throughout the day.

thanks for the info! getting nervous, but i guess i'll just have to wait it out. seems like ca is generally slower in giving out offers than other markets anyhow...

I haven't found this to be true. I know a number of firms which have extended offers on the spot, and others which have taken more than a week. Each firm is different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I haven't found this to be true. I know a number of firms which have extended offers on the spot, and others which have taken more than a week. Each firm is different.

Agreed. And each firm's response may differ based on the individual. Just sit tight for now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:16 pm

My calls have come at either 10 AM or 3 PM.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Two friends got offers day after CB.

I got an offer 9 days after callback (mid-August).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, mine have come at 1PM or 5PM, so this has been helpful, I'm sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, mine have come at 1PM or 5PM, so this has been helpful, I'm sure.

hahaha. thanks everyone, and congrats on all these offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:09 am

Anyone heard anything from Rutan & Tucker?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:44 am

I interviewed with Bryan Cave (LA) at OCI (T14) and have heard nothing for over a month. Who's heard from them (rejection, CB, offer)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Coincidentally, last time I visited career services, there was a guy there with a Bryan Cave offer.

This was a week ago. USC/UCLA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Any offers from Cooley (SF)? If so, turnaround from CB to offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”