Hughes Hubbard Call back/offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Hughes Hubbard Call back/offers

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So we can confirm offers are going out?

Confirmed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Confirmed

i'm assuming you got it earlier today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Confirmed

Yeah, this morning

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:27 pm

Damn, I really thought I had this one too

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Confirmed

Yeah, this morning

+1. i was the one who first posted about offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm

I was fortunate to get an offer as well. I have yet to read a single bad thing about HHR - is it truly as good as it sounds? Obviously the "A-List" has to be taken with a grain of salt, but does anyone have personal or second-hand knowledge about Hughes Hubbard's culture/work experience/economic stability/exit options? There is very little information about them on this website and I definitely want to make as informed a decision as possible before accepting my offer. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:15 pm

[Culture]: It's a "nice" firm. They put a premium on getting along with people, so you won't find many "screamers." You'll still work the long hours of any firm. It's only about 300 attorneys and they've never done a massive merger. Thus, the culture seems quite consistent across offices.

[Work Exp]: They do mostly litigation. They're known for their Int'l Arbitration practice. They're also well-known for the Vioxx litigation a few years back. One of the partners served as the Lehman Brothers trustee, so that brought in a lot of revenue (more than $100M in billings according to an FDIC report). They have a handful of blue-chip clients (Merck, Christie's, Boy Scouts, FDIC).

If you have any interest in being overseas, they have a Paris office where they'll send associates now and then.

[Econ Stability]: No massive layoffs though a few reports of stealth layoffs. HHR represented the Lehman Brothers trustee during bankruptcy proceedings and so it did quite well during the financial crisis. They've consistently started all of their 1st years on time without any delay.

[Exit Options]: Don't know. I think you might be able to make a move into one of their clients for litigation matters. The trouble HHR has sometimes is the lack of firm-name recognition. I think it's improving with things like the Lehman Brothers work and stuff like the A-List is good for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm

still didnt hear anything. did anyone hear negative news yet

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 pm

They're also well-known for the Vioxx litigation a few years back.

And the Vioxx litigation was well-known for producing the worst and most menial work for associates at HHR. If I'm not mistaken, HHR actually set up a satellite office either near their Manhattan office or in Jersey so associates could do the doc review there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:still didnt hear anything. did anyone hear negative news yet

me either, dreading the trip to the mail box tomorrow

Fresh Prince wrote:
They're also well-known for the Vioxx litigation a few years back.

And the Vioxx litigation was well-known for producing the worst and most menial work for associates at HHR. If I'm not mistaken, HHR actually set up a satellite office either near their Manhattan office or in Jersey so associates could do the doc review there.

I've also heard this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:35 pm

dinged by snail mail

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Never got a call or email regarding who I will be meeting with during my CB. I guess I could have called to ask, but I figure they get you this info if they want you to have it. Will it look bad to go in without particularized knowledge about the interviewers? I will still prep like mad regarding the firm, so I doubt I will come off as unprepared. And I guess that not knowing who my interviewers are open the door for basic Q's into what practice area they are in, how they got into it, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Never got a call or email regarding who I will be meeting with during my CB. I guess I could have called to ask, but I figure they get you this info if they want you to have it. Will it look bad to go in without particularized knowledge about the interviewers? I will still prep like mad regarding the firm, so I doubt I will come off as unprepared. And I guess that not knowing who my interviewers are open the door for basic Q's into what practice area they are in, how they got into it, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I called the afternoon before my CB and they gave me 4 names, but when I arrived for my CB the next day two of the interviewers had been replaced due to scheduling issues. They didn't mind at all that I obviously didn't know a thing about them and I still got an offer.

Long story short, if you prepare enough about the firm, I'm sure they won't care that you don't have a near stalker-level of knowledge about each interviewing attorney. :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Never got a call or email regarding who I will be meeting with during my CB. I guess I could have called to ask, but I figure they get you this info if they want you to have it. Will it look bad to go in without particularized knowledge about the interviewers? I will still prep like mad regarding the firm, so I doubt I will come off as unprepared. And I guess that not knowing who my interviewers are open the door for basic Q's into what practice area they are in, how they got into it, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I called the afternoon before my CB and they gave me 4 names, but when I arrived for my CB the next day two of the interviewers had been replaced due to scheduling issues. They didn't mind at all that I obviously didn't know a thing about them and I still got an offer.

Long story short, if you prepare enough about the firm, I'm sure they won't care that you don't have a near stalker-level of knowledge about each interviewing attorney. :D

Any tips for a successful interview with them? I heard they are very much into personality fit. Did you end up shooting the breeze a bit and ending up in "normal conversation" mode more than during other CB's with other firms? Anything that was mentioned often as a selling point by the attorneys you met with? If I get an offer there, I will be so psyched since it really is probably my top choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Any tips for a successful interview with them? I heard they are very much into personality fit. Did you end up shooting the breeze a bit and ending up in "normal conversation" mode more than during other CB's with other firms? Anything that was mentioned often as a selling point by the attorneys you met with? If I get an offer there, I will be so psyched since it really is probably my top choice.

I'm not sure I could pinpoint anything I did specifically - the questions I get based on my resume are all old hat by now and so my answers are, too. And in some interviews we ran out of time before I got to ask them anything specifically about the firm (and since you're there with 3 other students, being rotated around through different conference rooms by the recruiting staff, they keep pretty much on schedule).

As far as how the discussion went in each interview (and any shooting the breeze/normal conversation factors), it depends on who you're interviewing with, but they're all pretty laid-back and conversational for the most part. I will say with confidence that my interview with the hiring partner was probably the least stressful interview I've had out of all my screeners/CBs so far (except for maybe my HHR screener, coincidentally enough). I think that semi-relaxed atmosphere allowed my enthusiasm about the firm to come through, which I'm sure was helpful (and if you're that excited about it, I'm sure yours will come through, too).

So this answer is probably super vague and unhelpful but if you're knowledgeable about the firm I'm willing to bet you'll be just fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

When you say "you're there with 3 other students", what exactly do you mean? They keep swapping around 3 people during a given CB timeslot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you say "you're there with 3 other students", what exactly do you mean? They keep swapping around 3 people during a given CB timeslot?

When I checked in at the time of my CB there were 3 other people there on CBs as well. They brought us all into the conference room where they had the continental breakfast set-up, then after a couple minutes they told us they would be splitting us up. Each of us went into a conference room on that floor with an interviewing attorney. After about 30 min, the recruiter came and fetched us and dropped us off with the next interviewer, round-robin style.

When the interviews were done, we went on a short tour around the office with the recruiter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Wow, just had a CB here and absolutely loved it. You know that intangible "fit" feeling you get when the work environment seems just right, the people mesh well with you, etc? Well, I totally just had that "fit" moment at Hughes Hubbard. If they make me an offer next week, you can sign me the hell up. Hope my enthusiasm came across during my interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Any movement recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:31 pm

They said the committee meets either on friday or monday to review the past week of candidates. I interviewed last week so they made it sound like I will know my decision this week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 am

Anyone accepted an offer yet? I am in the decision-making process but can't see myself turning HH down because I got such a good vibe from the place. Hoping this summer's class lives up to the reputation of being extremely social and down to earth. Did anyone hear from the hiring partner or recruiters what their target # was for SAs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:26 am

I keep feeling like I heard ~15-20

whywhywhy

Postby whywhywhy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:43 pm

I have a callback coming up with Hughes Hubbard, down to 2 CBs in NY after striking out in my home market. I'd love any advice anyone has.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

whywhywhy wrote:I have a callback coming up with Hughes Hubbard, down to 2 CBs in NY after striking out in my home market. I'd love any advice anyone has.

Well, for starters, why do you think you struck out in your home mkt?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They said the committee meets either on friday or monday to review the past week of candidates. I interviewed last week so they made it sound like I will know my decision this week

So if the hiring committee meets on fridays or mondays, doesn't that mean that the offers would have been going out yesterday or today?

Return to “Legal Employment”