Canceling Callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Canceling Callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:09 pm

Can this be done by email or does it need to be done over the phone? If email is okay, can someone provide a sample email for me?

I appreciate it.

smokyroom26

Re: Canceling Callbacks

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 pm

According to my CSO, it is better to do this over the phone. I'd call the recruiting coordinator.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

I have a CB at a firm coming up that is lower on my personal list than a firm from which I already have an offer. I feel like I should cancel, but what should I say? I can't say I've accepted a job, because I haven't, but I don't want to say the truth...

sca218ml

Postby sca218ml » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:39 pm

just say you have an offer from another firm. You don't have to say you've accepted. It's the truth, and the firms get it.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:08 pm

sca218ml wrote:just say you have an offer from another firm. You don't have to say you've accepted. It's the truth, and the firms get it.

for those of you who have cancelled callbacks, is this an acceptable way to cancel?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:
sca218ml wrote:just say you have an offer from another firm. You don't have to say you've accepted. It's the truth, and the firms get it.

for those of you who have cancelled callbacks, is this an acceptable way to cancel?

Yes. It's more than "an acceptable" way; it's what you should do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:

During 2L OCI you generally cancel a bunch of callbacks, usually by saying something like this. You can say you'd like to cancel your callback because you have another offer you're thinking of accepting or are considering. They may ask you where you plan to go instead, so be prepared either to say another firm, decline to tell them, or say you haven't quite decided yet. It's usually a 1 minute-long call. I understand it may seem impolite to cancel, but you're wasting your time and the firm's time if you go to the CB with no intention of accepting an offer. A phone call is appropriate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes, canceling callbacks was very simple. Same for declining offers in favor of another offer. Except for Willkie Farr, who made you get on the phone with a hiring partner, who then proceeded to grill you over who you chose and why. It is a somewhat uncomfortable process.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm

They will appreciate if you cancel a callback. I mean, you're not going to take the job which is why you are cancelling. You're doing them a huge favor by not costing them a small fortune in lawyer-time and expenses for a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread.. What if you have a flight and hotel arranged already?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:41 pm

My CSO says to be prepared to get dinged with the hotel fees and flight cancellation fees in that case. Kind of unfortunate if you ask me -- if i were in such a position, that alone would lead me to waste the firms time and resources rather than absorbing a huge hit. I'd like to think the firms don't actually nail you with the charges in this circumstance -- anyone who can speak to it with authority?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My CSO says to be prepared to get dinged with the hotel fees and flight cancellation fees in that case. Kind of unfortunate if you ask me -- if i were in such a position, that alone would lead me to waste the firms time and resources rather than absorbing a huge hit. I'd like to think the firms don't actually nail you with the charges in this circumstance -- anyone who can speak to it with authority?

This sounds like bs.

Look at your booking info. Most of the hotels I've been at have either no penalty or a small penalty for any cancellation at least 24 hours before the reservation, and airlines will just do a cancellation fee as well.

In any case, what is the firm going to do, send you a bill for the cancelled travel? lol. They will just appreciate you not wasting their time, even if means having to eat some money (which is a drop in the bucket for most of them)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ofta3184 wrote:

During 2L OCI you generally cancel a bunch of callbacks, usually by saying something like this. You can say you'd like to cancel your callback because you have another offer you're thinking of accepting or are considering. They may ask you where you plan to go instead, so be prepared either to say another firm, decline to tell them, or say you haven't quite decided yet. It's usually a 1 minute-long call. I understand it may seem impolite to cancel, but you're wasting your time and the firm's time if you go to the CB with no intention of accepting an offer. A phone call is appropriate.

This is the right course of action.

I would utilize this language:

Dear [Name] --

Thank you for your interest in my candidacy for a summer associate program at [Firm Name]. I recently received an offer for a summer associate position at another firm that I intend to accept. Regretfully, I write to cancel my callback interview scheduled at [Firm Name]. I appreciate your time and patience, and I wish you all the best in your search.

Sincerely,

[Law Student]

^^^^ Think of it as the break up after a first date. You liked them, but not enough spark. Don't walk on egg shells about it, firms know that students interview with many places and they might end up with multiple offers to choose from. Letting them know in advance, even in writing, ensures that they do not waste their time and effort and provides another opening for a different student.

Think of it this way, your courtesy email saves the firm a lot of money. Meeting with several different partners over the course of 2 to 3 hours is costly in billables (that could be $1,000 in billables just to talk with you). Its respectful. The poster warning about billed hotel fees is kind of absurd, I have never heard of this happening before

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:00 pm

This may be school dependent, but is 24 hours enough time to cancel, assuming no travel costs are involved?

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:My CSO says to be prepared to get dinged with the hotel fees and flight cancellation fees in that case. Kind of unfortunate if you ask me -- if i were in such a position, that alone would lead me to waste the firms time and resources rather than absorbing a huge hit. I'd like to think the firms don't actually nail you with the charges in this circumstance -- anyone who can speak to it with authority?

maybe in a small market, but ive never heard of this happening in any ny/west coast firm. seems absurd.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:37 am

Out of all the things that have never happened, this has never happened the hardest.

Separately, I'm utterly baffled as to why law students are so terrified about burning bridges they voluntarily choose not to cross in the first place.

Return to “Legal Employment”