NYC: Skadden or Cravath?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Skadden or Cravath?

Skadden
38%
Cravath
62%

Total votes: 47

Anonymous User

NYC: Skadden or Cravath?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Offers aren't out yet for Skadden but let's be optimistic. These are my two top choices. I want lit.

What would you do? Why?

Anonymous User

Re: NYC: Skadden or Cravath?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:30 pm

I would absolutely take Skadden for lit. I know people who are doing lit at Skadden and people doing lit at Cravath. My guess is that this poll is going to be in favor of Cravath. It would be interesting to know how many 0Ls are voting on it.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Do you like the rotation system?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

rayiner wrote:Do you like the rotation system?

In theory, yes. I do well with structure. I worked at a firm this summer where assignment of work was really all over the place, and I didn't like that at all.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

In theory, yes. I do well with structure. I worked at a firm this summer where assignment of work was really all over the place, and I didn't like that at all.

Then I don't see what's difficult about this decision.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 pm

I'd vote Cravath. You are going to work very long hours at both (with probably more hours at Cravath) but the Cravath name will give you more and better exit options. Plus, at Cravath you will feel like less like a cog in the gigantic machine. This could partly be shaped by my aversion to working in a gigantic office but I personally would go Cravath here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You really think that's the end-all be-all? No culture factors come into play? (I am being totally sincere.)

FWIW, I'm leaning Cravath. I really liked the people at both, but for different reasons.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would absolutely take Skadden for lit. I know people who are doing lit at Skadden and people doing lit at Cravath.

Why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 pm

I have a really, really hard time believing that there are exit-options that you can get coming out of Cravath and not Skadden, or vice-versa.

What is different is the firms' culture (and the rotational system, which is also something that I think you either like or don't like, and has a lot to do with your personality), and that's a question only you can answer. What felt right, in your gut? Where did you like the people better? At the end of the day, regardless of how soon those exit options come to fruition you're going to be working at this place, in this office, with these people, for something like 6,000-9,000 hours over the next 2-3 years. Which place would you rather spend that much of your time? That's a question only you can answer.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You really think that's the end-all be-all? No culture factors come into play? (I am being totally sincere.)

FWIW, I'm leaning Cravath. I really liked the people at both, but for different reasons.

I'd peg Cravath as somewhat cold and formal and I hear Skadden is somewhat fratty, but I don't think the cultural factors are huge here. This isn't Cravath versus Covington for lit.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a really, really hard time believing that there are exit-options that you can get coming out of Cravath and not Skadden, or vice-versa.

There was a lateral link job posting a few months ago looking for Wachtell and Cravath people. I don't have concrete evidence, but I would never be surprised by how much prestige whoring lawyers are capable of.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:05 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a really, really hard time believing that there are exit-options that you can get coming out of Cravath and not Skadden, or vice-versa.

There was a lateral link job posting a few months ago looking for Wachtell and Cravath people. I don't have concrete evidence, but I would never be surprised by how much prestige whoring lawyers are capable of.

Having worked in-house I can tell you that at least at the Fortune 100 company I was at there was a definite boost for Cravath that Skadden did not get.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Doritos wrote:I'd vote Cravath. You are going to work very long hours at both (with probably more hours at Cravath) but the Cravath name will give you more and better exit options. Plus, at Cravath you will feel like less like a cog in the gigantic machine. This could partly be shaped by my aversion to working in a gigantic office but I personally would go Cravath here.

For their cozy, 500-lawyer midtown location?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:04 pm

clintonius wrote:
Doritos wrote:I'd vote Cravath. You are going to work very long hours at both (with probably more hours at Cravath) but the Cravath name will give you more and better exit options. Plus, at Cravath you will feel like less like a cog in the gigantic machine. This could partly be shaped by my aversion to working in a gigantic office but I personally would go Cravath here.

For their cozy, 500-lawyer midtown location?

Especially as Cravath has more litigation associates than Skadden NY. 500 v. 800 lawyers isn't really the story. Although I'm not sure how much litigation is integrated across offices at Skadden (and of course they have a ton of big offices).

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:21 pm

CSM >>> SASMF

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Cravath's rotation system mimics the way clerkships work to some extent -- you work for a single boss that generally keeps a professional distance, but: the quality of the work is excellent, you always know where your work is coming from, your boss has a vested interest in your development, and you bond quickly with your peers working for the same partner. Like clerking, your milage will vary depending on the quality of your relationship with your partner. If you have a good relationship, Cravath will offer you one of the purest lawyering experiences in the country. If you have a terrible relationship, you will be forced to endure until the end of your rotation (determined by your partner, not by you) or leave.

I know little of Skadden's litigation department so I won't comment on it. I will say that Cravath's reputation for coldness is unwarranted: the associates are really, truly great people, and most of the partners are the same. Since you will be spending the majority of your time with the associates, I think this is important.

Good luck -- it is a singular luxury to have such a choice to make.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cravath's rotation system mimics the way clerkships work to some extent -- you work for a single boss that generally keeps a professional distance, but: the quality of the work is excellent, you always know where your work is coming from, your boss has a vested interest in your development, and you bond quickly with your peers working for the same partner. Like clerking, your milage will vary depending on the quality of your relationship with your partner. If you have a good relationship, Cravath will offer you one of the purest lawyering experiences in the country. If you have a terrible relationship, you will be forced to endure until the end of your rotation (determined by your partner, not by you) or leave.

I know little of Skadden's litigation department so I won't comment on it. I will say that Cravath's reputation for coldness is unwarranted: the associates are really, truly great people, and most of the partners are the same. Since you will be spending the majority of your time with the associates, I think this is important.

Good luck -- it is a singular luxury to have such a choice to make.

Awesome analogy. Thank you, this helped.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Anyone have any more comments about Skadden's lit department specifically?

Return to “Legal Employment”