Best firms for transition to government litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best firms for transition to government litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:05 pm

Let's say I want to go to USAO after a few years in a firm. (I know it's very competitive, but bear with me.) How important is firm prestige? And what NYC firms are at the top of the list? I'm thinking S&C, Covington, Paul Weiss, K&E would be good options; is this accurate, and how quickly do your chances trail off if you're at say a V50 or V100 firm instead? Is a top-rated white collar practice essential?

Anonymous User

Re: Best firms for transition to government litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say I want to go to USAO after a few years in a firm. (I know it's very competitive, but bear with me.) How important is firm prestige? And what NYC firms are at the top of the list? I'm thinking S&C, Covington, Paul Weiss, K&E would be good options; is this accurate, and how quickly do your chances trail off if you're at say a V50 or V100 firm instead? Is a top-rated white collar practice essential?

I would add Boies Schiller and possibly Quinn.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks, good additions.

Another wrinkle I meant to add initially: To what extent would the advantages of being in a smaller firm that is known for high quality lit work (like a Kasowitz, say, where you might get more early responsibility and/or see more cases actually go to trial) outweigh the prestige advantages of some of the bigger names?

GertrudePerkins

Bronze

Post by GertrudePerkins » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:26 pm

This is purely anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth: I worked at a USAO this summer and it didn't seem like very many of the AUSAs had worked at especially prestigious firms. Just good firms in the area. From what they told me, what matters more is getting real trial experience during your time at the firm -- i.e., better to come from a less prestigious firm but to have done lots of pro bono work that got you into the courtroom.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:25 pm

In contrast, I worked for USAO over the summer as well, and ONLY ONE of the AUSAs in the office had not worked at a highly prestigious firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say I want to go to USAO after a few years in a firm. (I know it's very competitive, but bear with me.) How important is firm prestige? And what NYC firms are at the top of the list? I'm thinking S&C, Covington, Paul Weiss, K&E would be good options; is this accurate, and how quickly do your chances trail off if you're at say a V50 or V100 firm instead? Is a top-rated white collar practice essential?
Anonymous User wrote:Another wrinkle I meant to add initially: To what extent would the advantages of being in a smaller firm that is known for high quality lit work (like a Kasowitz, say, where you might get more early responsibility and/or see more cases actually go to trial) outweigh the prestige advantages of some of the bigger names?
I'd like to reopen this issue, particularly with reference to NYC. If you're looking to be an AUSA, would it be better to work at, say, Paul Weiss over a V5 firm purely for the exit option (personal fit aside)?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another wrinkle I meant to add initially: To what extent would the advantages of being in a smaller firm that is known for high quality lit work (like a Kasowitz, say, where you might get more early responsibility and/or see more cases actually go to trial) outweigh the prestige advantages of some of the bigger names?
I'd like to reopen this issue, particularly with reference to NYC. If you're looking to be an AUSA, would it be better to work at, say, Paul Weiss over a V5 firm purely for the exit option (personal fit aside)?
Whether a particular USAO even cares what firm -- be it biglaw, V5, lit boutique or whatever -- will depend on the USA of that particular office. When MJW ran SDNY the office had a slant towards Debevoise, but that was only because of the MJW connections.

It's not so much which firms gets you an "in" to a particular USAO; rather, it's who have you been working with in a particular firm and whether that person (or persons) has connections with the USAO you are applying to. For example, if you wanted to get an interview at EDNY, and you've been working for the former Criminal Chief at EDNY at your particular firm, then you've got a great shot -- regardless of whether that firm is V5 or not.

If you're deciding between firms, look at their roster and try and see how many former AUSAs they have on their roster. That's the best way to get into an USAO -- work with former AUSAs who can make a phone call for you. Firm names and prestige matter little when compared to connections.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 pm

anon168 wrote:Whether a particular USAO even cares what firm -- be it biglaw, V5, lit boutique or whatever -- will depend on the USA of that particular office. When MJW ran SDNY the office had a slant towards Debevoise, but that was only because of the MJW connections.

It's not so much which firms gets you an "in" to a particular USAO; rather, it's who have you been working with in a particular firm and whether that person (or persons) has connections with the USAO you are applying to. For example, if you wanted to get an interview at EDNY, and you've been working for the former Criminal Chief at EDNY at your particular firm, then you've got a great shot -- regardless of whether that firm is V5 or not.

If you're deciding between firms, look at their roster and try and see how many former AUSAs they have on their roster. That's the best way to get into an USAO -- work with former AUSAs who can make a phone call for you. Firm names and prestige matter little when compared to connections.
Great advice. Any idea which firms generally have AUSA-heavy rosters?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Somebody in the Cravath thread mentioned that DPW is a good place to set up an exit to the USAO, presumably because of connections.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:Whether a particular USAO even cares what firm -- be it biglaw, V5, lit boutique or whatever -- will depend on the USA of that particular office. When MJW ran SDNY the office had a slant towards Debevoise, but that was only because of the MJW connections.

Great advice. Any idea which firms generally have AUSA-heavy rosters?
Dude, you need to do your own research.

But if you give me your intended market (either here or via PM), I'd be happy to give you any insights that I have.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 pm

In addition to firms already named ITT, I've heard Cleary has a good revolving door going.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:48 pm

USAO in New York gets people from just about every major firm, but the biggest "feeders" are DPW, Paul Weiss, Debevoise, Wilmer and Cleary I would say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:33 am

Never mind.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 am

clintonius wrote:Somebody in the Cravath thread mentioned that DPW is a good place to set up an exit to the USAO, presumably because of connections.
Of the last 8 hires at SDNY, 4 came from DPW. There definitely is a strong pipeline there.

There are also good connections with EDNY. See, e.g. --LinkRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”