DOJ SLIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyones status changed from app received who either a) didn't apply for EOIR SLIP or b) is an Honors applicant?


I'm the previous anonymous user. To provide more background (and partially answer your question), I listed EOIR SLIP last. Not an Honors applicant.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Mine still says "Application received." :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 pm

If you didn't apply for EOIR or list it first, there's absolutely no reason to fret as of now. We haven't heard of anyone else seeing a status change, and looking at last year's SLIP thread, most people didn't see a change until the last week of September. And I thought I was high-strung...

P.S. If you're posting to report movement on your application, there's no reason not to include the components you applied for and how you ranked them (although everything I've heard suggests that your chances for your 2nd choice are slim to none; no one likes to be backup, especially if you've already got too many applicants with good qualifications who ranked you first). Stats such as your school's ranking and your class ranking would also be helpful. Even better would be if you told us, in terms vague enough not to out you, whether you had specific qualifications for your 1st choice (this applies to everything except Civil, which is essentially an HYS numbers game with some preference for DOJ exp. thrown in).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you didn't apply for EOIR or list it first, there's absolutely no reason to fret as of now. We haven't heard of anyone else seeing a status change, and looking at last year's SLIP thread, most people didn't see a change until the last week of September. And I thought I was high-strung...



Thanks for being a voice of reason, it certainly calmed me down a bit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Also, FWIW, EOIR didn't finish its SLIP hiring until very late in the game last year (February maybe). They are likely just trying to speed things up this year....which makes me extra crazy wondering why I haven't heard any news about my EOIR honors app yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:47 pm

any more movement for anyone else?

i'm still at application received by DOJ.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 pm

BUMP

Any status changes on avue (besides those who applied to EOIR)? It'd even be helpful (for my nerves) if people who didn't apply to EOIR could report no status changes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Only applied to Antitrust - no movement.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BUMP

Any status changes on avue (besides those who applied to EOIR)? It'd even be helpful (for my nerves) if people who didn't apply to EOIR could report no status changes.


Applied to EOIR and Civil -- no movement, MVP, top 5%. A little disappointed that I haven't seen movement on EOIR like other people have, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 pm

This process is maddening. At least last year there were some clear patterns in status changes. Now, it just seems pretty random.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BUMP

Any status changes on avue (besides those who applied to EOIR)? It'd even be helpful (for my nerves) if people who didn't apply to EOIR could report no status changes.


Applied to EOIR and Civil -- no movement, MVP, top 5%. A little disappointed that I haven't seen movement on EOIR like other people have, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything yet.


As a former SLIP with an uncertain Honors future, I would very highly recommend taking a firm gig if possible. The funding freezes are stiff right now, and SLIP doesn't guarantee a spot in the shrinking honors program. I know this sounds depressing news, but with your credentials, you owe it to yourself to pursue options that'll definitely lead to a job following graduation.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BUMP

Any status changes on avue (besides those who applied to EOIR)? It'd even be helpful (for my nerves) if people who didn't apply to EOIR could report no status changes.


Applied to EOIR and Civil -- no movement, MVP, top 5%. A little disappointed that I haven't seen movement on EOIR like other people have, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything yet.


As a former SLIP with an uncertain Honors future, I would very highly recommend taking a firm gig if possible. The funding freezes are stiff right now, and SLIP doesn't guarantee a spot in the shrinking honors program. I know this sounds depressing news, but with your credentials, you owe it to yourself to pursue options that'll definitely lead to a job following graduation.


haha it is depressing news, and thanks for the advice -- the only thing is that I'm definitely committed to doing public service (decided not to do OGIs). I'm exploring a bunch of other options besides the DOJ though (advocacy groups, mostly, but also public defense and prosecution). I guess it's just kind of the name of the game of public interest work that I won't really be pursuing option that will definitely lead to a job following graduation, so I'm used to the idea, lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:BUMP

Any status changes on avue (besides those who applied to EOIR)? It'd even be helpful (for my nerves) if people who didn't apply to EOIR could report no status changes.


Applied to EOIR and Civil -- no movement, MVP, top 5%. A little disappointed that I haven't seen movement on EOIR like other people have, but I'm hoping that doesn't mean anything yet.


As a former SLIP with an uncertain Honors future, I would very highly recommend taking a firm gig if possible. The funding freezes are stiff right now, and SLIP doesn't guarantee a spot in the shrinking honors program. I know this sounds depressing news, but with your credentials, you owe it to yourself to pursue options that'll definitely lead to a job following graduation.


haha it is depressing news, and thanks for the advice -- the only thing is that I'm definitely committed to doing public service (decided not to do OGIs). I'm exploring a bunch of other options besides the DOJ though (advocacy groups, mostly, but also public defense and prosecution). I guess it's just kind of the name of the game of public interest work that I won't really be pursuing option that will definitely lead to a job following graduation, so I'm used to the idea, lol.


More power to ya. I also eschewed OCI, and it sucks that in addition to the extended anxiety of the slow PI/govt hiring cycle, we have to look forward to going through it all again next year, with even higher stakes. Aside from SLIP, FTC BC, and maybe FBI/CIA, many of them don't make decisions until December/January. Meanwhile, firms are making offers. Fortunately most of my good friends at law school are also public interest people, so we're all in this boat.

EDIT: No movement here, either. Listed Antitrust #1 and Civil #2 but didn't really address the latter in my essay.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Honors status updates seem to be moving. Any updates here?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:12 pm

i got nothing. still "received." super lame. i'm a shit candidate though, but not complete shit. good enough to get past the first round and score biglaw in dc.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Nothing here, either. It's possible that they're on different schedule or different hiring committees.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think people started reporting movement around September 27 or 28 last year, and most who moved on did so by like October 4ish.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 pm

SLIP applicant, referred to components today. Components applied to (no specific order): Tax, BOP, USAOs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I'm pretty sure applicants get referred to components in waves based on branch selection

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Any movement from Antitrust?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from Antitrust?


None here. I'm starting to think I didn't put nearly enough time into the application.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from Antitrust?

No movement here either.

1) Anti Trust
2) EOIR
3) Civil

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any movement from Antitrust?


Not for me. Listed it first.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

MOVEMENT! Referred to components today.

Divisions were Civil and EOIR (in that order). MVP top 5%, law review.

choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby choochoo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Do they e-mail you when you're referred to components, or do you have to compulsively check the status checker?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273071
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ SLIP

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:11 pm

choochoo wrote:Do they e-mail you when you're referred to components, or do you have to compulsively check the status checker?


Nah, I had to check it. No e-mail.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.