DOJ SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:MOVEMENT! Referred to components today.

Divisions were Civil and EOIR (in that order). MVP top 5%, law review.
Congratulations and good luck with the interview!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Wait -- so once I'm referred to components, do I get an interview? (Does anyone know how this process works exactly or have a link?)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wait -- so once I'm referred to components, do I get an interview? (Does anyone know how this process works exactly or have a link?)
not necessarily, no. EOIR doesn't even do interviews. Civil does, I'm pretty sure, but you aren't guaranteed one with a status change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

not necessarily, no. EOIR doesn't even do interviews. Civil does, I'm pretty sure, but you aren't guaranteed one with a status change.
Ah, gotcha. Do you (or anyone else) happen to have any information or a link to how exactly the this goes? I feel like I had one at one point but idk where it is. Like...does it go: App received --> Referred to components --> Interview notification (if your component does one) --> Selected for further consideration --> Finalist --> Job offer? I mean, if you move on to each step, of course.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 pm

http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/su ... dates.html

I was SLIP last year in CIV. They sent me an email on 10/20, did a phone interview, and then offered me the job at the end of the interview. I can't remember the status changes though. I hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 pm

The DOJ rep posted this today on the compulsive-status-checking-site:
As for the SLIP, components are finalizing their selections this week. We hope to start making online status changes by next week and issuing notification messages by October 4th. If you are selected for an HP interview, your online status will change to "selected for interview." If you are selected for further consideration for the SLIP, I think the online status changes to r "selected for consideration for employment."
As though I didn't have enough reason to shudder in fear whenever I open my email inbox or my mail. Next week will be spent cowering in terror.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The DOJ rep posted this today on the compulsive-status-checking-site:
As for the SLIP, components are finalizing their selections this week. We hope to start making online status changes by next week and issuing notification messages by October 4th. If you are selected for an HP interview, your online status will change to "selected for interview." If you are selected for further consideration for the SLIP, I think the online status changes to r "selected for consideration for employment."
As though I didn't have enough reason to shudder in fear whenever I open my email inbox or my mail. Next week will be spent cowering in terror.
I don't think they sent notifications of dings until much later, or at least that what happened last year.

And I forgot that it goes Referred to Components -> Selected for further consideration (or something to that effect), THEN you have an interview. Some people reported status changes after that to "finalist." And yeah not everyone interviews.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 pm

How do firms view it if you split your summer between firm/SLIP? I was planning to the full 10 (or even 12) week firm summer, and then hopefully SLIP if I can land it, but I was worried that it might hurt on the FT-offer front from the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:How do firms view it if you split your summer between firm/SLIP? I was planning to the full 10 (or even 12) week firm summer, and then hopefully SLIP if I can land it, but I was worried that it might hurt on the FT-offer front from the firm.
Not going to happen. Some SLIP departments will require you to work ten weeks, and I can't imagine any will allow you to work less than eight. I was able to split, since I spent time at the firm 1L year, but it definitely fractured my relationship with the firm. (I imagine that some firms would value this experience, though. I'd try and figure that out beforehand, though, if you're concerned)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:How do firms view it if you split your summer between firm/SLIP? I was planning to the full 10 (or even 12) week firm summer, and then hopefully SLIP if I can land it, but I was worried that it might hurt on the FT-offer front from the firm.
Not going to happen. Some SLIP departments will require you to work ten weeks, and I can't imagine any will allow you to work less than eight. I was able to split, since I spent time at the firm 1L year, but it definitely fractured my relationship with the firm. (I imagine that some firms would value this experience, though. I'd try and figure that out beforehand, though, if you're concerned)
I've heard that some departments only require 6 weeks?

Edit: How can I figure it out before hand?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even if this is true, how are you going to do 16-18 weeks in a summer? What school has a break longer than 4 months?

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
EijiMiyake wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Even if this is true, how are you going to do 16-18 weeks in a summer? What school has a break longer than 4 months?
I've been told HLS has an 18-week summer next year, although I haven't confirmed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Ya, the website says some might only require six, but I've never heard of that being the case. I didn't find the week requirement out until after I got my offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:48 pm

I guess we don't know if this matters but status change from Application Received ->Application referred to Components

ATR/Civ

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm

ATR referred to components today.

Does anyone remember if the application stated that we had to notify them if we accepted a firm offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Did everyone get e-mails with the status update? Because if not, I have no idea where to get that information. I've looked on Avue and can't seem to find it; just figured I'd get an e-mail if they were interested or if anything happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Click on "Application Status"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Does anyone know of EOIR allows a split summer? I have an offer from a firm and they allow a split. I have been selected for further consideration for EOIR and am hesitating on the firm bc I don't want to miss the SLIP opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of EOIR allows a split summer? I have an offer from a firm and they allow a split. I have been selected for further consideration for EOIR and am hesitating on the firm bc I don't want to miss the SLIP opportunity.
When did you get referred to components and do you mind sharing general stats? (I applied for EOIR so I'm compulsively checking the site, haha)

Sorry I can't actually be helpful lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of EOIR allows a split summer? I have an offer from a firm and they allow a split. I have been selected for further consideration for EOIR and am hesitating on the firm bc I don't want to miss the SLIP opportunity.
EOIR requires at least a 10 wk commitment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Posted on the website this morning:

"This message is for Summer Law Intern Program applicants. We will start making online status changes for candidates selected by components for consideration for employment today. Once that is complete, we will issue notification email messages. This may not be completed until tomorrow (Tuesday, October 4, 2011).

These notices will not apply to applicants for the Office of the Solicitor General or the Office of Legal Counsel - those offices have not yet made selections."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Status Update

Current Status: Selected for Further Consideration

ATR/Civ

Edit: No e-mail yet so check Avue if you really want to know

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Ugh. Nothing so far. Still at referred to components.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Still at App Received. It's safe to assume I'm a reject at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Still at referred to components for just ATR. not looking good...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”