DOJ SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those emails will not go out for a while. I doubt SLIPs have even been referred to components yet. I'm not sure what the person above is talking about...

...unless they're just skipping the review of applications this year and just selecting everyone in the top 1 percent at HYS. Maybe.
As a pessimist who really wanted DoJ prior to law school and isn't at HYS, I'd be totally unsurprised.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:29 pm

I got a further consideration email and I am decidedly not top 1% HYS. It seems component specific for sending these emails, so it may still be a while for most to go out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a further consideration email and I am decidedly not top 1% HYS. It seems component specific for sending these emails, so it may still be a while for most to go out.
For SLIP? Also, care to share which component?

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:53 pm

Also interested in which component is sending out emails. TYIA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got a further consideration email and I am decidedly not top 1% HYS. It seems component specific for sending these emails, so it may still be a while for most to go out.
It was for SLIP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It was for SLIP
component? please?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm assuming it was from one of the branches participating "informally" or a US atty office. Last year, the majority of people didn't get referred to components emails until the first week of October, but there were some who found out earlier from components hiring informally.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:17 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:Yeah, I ended up writing simple but sincere answers, and am now wondering if I did enough. I get the sense you really have to be able to show commitment to both public service and the subject matter of component to have a good shot.
I wrote short answers too and have pretty much no public service background, but I figured I'd apply and see what happens. Meh, maybe they'll decide they like me anyway.

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming it was from one of the branches participating "informally" or a US atty office. Last year, the majority of people didn't get referred to components emails until the first week of October, but there were some who found out earlier from components hiring informally.
Dumb question, but which ones are participating "informally"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Not a dumb question. Random components (not listed on the 'participating components' site) can decide to select people, even though they arent listed as employment preferences. I have no idea how this works, but I do know it happened last year for SLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming it was from one of the branches participating "informally" or a US atty office. Last year, the majority of people didn't get referred to components emails until the first week of October, but there were some who found out earlier from components hiring informally.
a formally hiring component is sending emails but this also makes sense

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:18 pm

well then thats just absurd. doj is shaking up everything this year.

last year it was...

application received-referred to components-selected for further consideration (email) and this all occurred after honors was done hiring

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 pm

have there been any avue status changes (from 'app received')?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have there been any avue status changes (from 'app received')?
"referred to components"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:well then thats just absurd. doj is shaking up everything this year.

last year it was...

application received-referred to components-selected for further consideration (email) and this all occurred after honors was done hiring
maybe it's going quicker because they have so few components participating at all, and so few spots for each, that it's easier to just quickly grab the top 50 standout applications or so and trash the rest

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:59 pm

Some of the USA offices "selected for further consideration" within a week or two last year. Just because some people are hearing already does not mean the whole kit n' caboodle is done with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:47 am

For the love of God, people. Say what component (e.g., Tax, Immigration, Civil Division, Antitrust, etc) you got an email from if you got one, or which you ranked 1 and 2 if your status changed online.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the love of God, people. Say what component (e.g., Tax, Immigration, Civil Division, Antitrust, etc) you got an email from if you got one, or which you ranked 1 and 2 if your status changed online.
+1

You're not really risking anything, considering the anonymity plus the number of applicants to the program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the love of God, people. Say what component (e.g., Tax, Immigration, Civil Division, Antitrust, etc) you got an email from if you got one, or which you ranked 1 and 2 if your status changed online.
Yeah, that'd be really good. I'm getting antsy wondering if the components I applied for are the ones sending out the e-mails or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:43 pm

EOIR

no change in online app--still says "referred to components"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Any rough idea how many EOIR emails went out and if those are likely their top choice candidates, or just happened to be at the top of the pile?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Aw. I applied for EOIR and haven't heard anything.

this process is already so terrible and it's only just started

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any rough idea how many EOIR emails went out and if those are likely their top choice candidates, or just happened to be at the top of the pile?
while I agree that this would be nice information, I think it's unlikely to impossible that anyone posting here will possess it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:36 pm

My application status is still "Application Received by DOJ." Should I start panicking?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:38 pm

Has anyones status changed from app received who either a) didn't apply for EOIR SLIP or b) is an Honors applicant?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”