DOJ SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EijiMiyake

Bronze

DOJ SLIP

Post by EijiMiyake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:33 am

Is anyone else working on their SLIP application right now?

For the "employment description," are yall just copy/pasting what your resume says, or writing something more extensive? 4000 characters is kind of a lot...

MC Southstar

Silver

Re: DOJ SLIP

Post by MC Southstar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:13 pm

WE ARE ALL GOING TO FAIL.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I hate government applications.

Anyone have any good federal job cover letter samples? I feel like mine are total crap.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Also, do we get to attach a resume, or is the employment history all we get?

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:54 pm

MC Southstar wrote:WE ARE ALL GOING TO FAIL.
TITCR

I have logged on a few times thinking I would do the application, but then I saw how much it sucked and logged off. I'll be doing mine next weekend though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:00 pm

tww909 wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:WE ARE ALL GOING TO FAIL.
TITCR

I have logged on a few times thinking I would do the application, but then I saw how much it sucked and logged off. I'll be doing mine next weekend though.
Not sure I would wait until the weekend. It's a real pain in the ass.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:30 pm

BUMP.

Any idea what to do with the employment history section? Do they really want 4000 characters on each job?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:43 pm

The time cost of this application seems totally not worth it given my interests. Good luck, all.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Is this even worth it? Good grief.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 pm

It might be worth doing if you have a language background for immigration or business/economics background for anti-trust. The rest are not taking many people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Anyone know how many applicants they have each year?

8ballistic

New

Post by 8ballistic » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:23 pm

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Deadline Bump.

Original question remains - do you think we have to approach the character limit on the responses? What's an appropriate amount to write about each job?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:33 pm

I don't think so, I'm just writing what is necessary to give a detailed and complete description of each employment history, but am nowhere near the 4000 characters. If they want to know more, I'm sure they'll ask.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Moxie wrote:I don't think so, I'm just writing what is necessary to give a detailed and complete description of each employment history, but am nowhere near the 4000 characters. If they want to know more, I'm sure they'll ask.
Sweet. I wish we could upload a resume as well...

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Shoot, I also have no idea what to write for that "tell the hiring committee one thing about yourself" question.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:39 am

I've tried to gather the motivation to finish this app like 7 times this week; the essays and employment section are killers. Oh, and it doesn't help that they apparently take like 18 out of 500 (probably more people applying nowadays too):
8ballistic wrote:Around 500 in 2006 apparently: http://www.justice.gov/opr/oig-opr-inve ... e-slip.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 pm

quiver wrote:I've tried to gather the motivation to finish this app like 7 times this week; the essays and employment section are killers. Oh, and it doesn't help that they apparently take like 18 out of 500 (probably more people applying nowadays too):
8ballistic wrote:Around 500 in 2006 apparently: http://www.justice.gov/opr/oig-opr-inve ... e-slip.pdf
I'm wondering if it might actually be LESS due to the absurdly small number of spots available. If I didn't have a state-level Antitrust Division internship, I probably wouldn't bother to fill this thing out. And if I did, I would not devote much time to the "Working for DOJ" essays and such.

I find it kind of obnoxious that they can't use the same application program for the volunteer programs. But then again I would certainly not want each division or office to see all my stuff for the other divisions. I would love Civil Division, but since it's only 3 spots, I'm not even really bothering to address them. It's an extremely broad component anyway.

And yeah, on the "one thing about yourself," it's like, how many selling points can I fit into "one thing"?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:57 pm

I got to the "Why DOJ" essays and stopped. I'm really not sure I want to essentially come up with another freaking personal statement.

What is everyone putting? I don't have a real reason other than "a damn job."

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

kalvano wrote:I got to the "Why DOJ" essays and stopped. I'm really not sure I want to essentially come up with another freaking personal statement.

Have you interned with the DOJ? If so, you can talk about your experiences there and how it made an impression on you in some particular way. If not... I don't mean this offensively, but you've likely already lost.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kalvano wrote:I got to the "Why DOJ" essays and stopped. I'm really not sure I want to essentially come up with another freaking personal statement.

Have you interned with the DOJ? If so, you can talk about your experiences there and how it made an impression on you in some particular way. If not... I don't mean this offensively, but you've likely already lost.

I'm interning with the USAO here in Dallas this fall, but haven't started yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itsirtou

Bronze

Post by itsirtou » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:59 pm

wow

this application is defeating me right now

CandyLand

New

Post by CandyLand » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:10 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Is it really that tilted? I could definitely see it being that way for Civil Division, which does not really require any specialized experience. But for things like antitrust and immigration, I'd expect it to be more merit-based given the relatively small number of spots.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 pm

CandyLand wrote:Is it really that tilted? I could definitely see it being that way for Civil Division, which does not really require any specialized experience. But for things like antitrust and immigration, I'd expect it to be more merit-based given the relatively small number of spots.
It's not that I think it's necessarily tilted, it's just that I look at the number of DOJ interns vs. the number of open spots, and I think about how pretty much every legal employer takes past work with them as a sign you're committed to working with them. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying there's a flood of people who've worked at the DOJ already competing for very few slots this year.

It will be merit-based, but the folks who already interned with a division will have that as "merit". Every division had far more interns this summer than open spots this fall, I guarantee you. I don't have anything hard to back this up, but based on everything I've seen, the interns-to-openings ratio is going to be high across all divisions.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:59 pm

I would just like to say that the DOJ panel at GULC was hilarious. The hiring committee from 3 of the divisions, as well as the head of legal recruiting for the DOJ, basically said: "You won't get a job with us through SLIP or the Honors Program this year, but stay optimistic and volunteer. You will get lots of good experience." And that was without a straight face, I might add.

Pro Tip: One of the things they mentioned was that you must take advantage of all of the essay questions (and they include the final question about "What else do you want us to know?" as an essay question) to be seriously considered.

Useless Tip: If you want the Civil Rights Division, you must rank it first. There are some people on the hiring committee for Civil Rights that want you to rank it first and not rank any other division at all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”