DOJ SLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Well... no voicemail yet. I don't think my references have been checked yet either. I wonder what it means.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Advice from former EOIR SLIP for EOIR finalists: Don't go crazy waiting by your phone. EOIR takes a while to make offers, considering the amount of candidates they have and the geography game they have to play (also, they have to contact and hear back from references). Also, they're working on Honors offers. If you were just named a finalist, I would give it time before compulsively checking your phone.

Good luck everyone.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 pm

Thank you for the advice! If you have any more insights or advice, I would LOVE to hear them. I am especially wondering if you know the amount of people selected as finalists vs. the amount of offers. It would be great to know how good chances are at this point. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm

roguey wrote:Thank you for the advice! If you have any more insights or advice, I would LOVE to hear them. I am especially wondering if you know the amount of people selected as finalists vs. the amount of offers. It would be great to know how good chances are at this point. Thank you!
Will PM you...if anyone else wants one, let me know (only about EOIR, though...I have no idea how the others function)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 am

Just got an offer today from Criminal Tax. It's been just over a month since I interviewed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 am

Question to finalists - Do all finalists go through a pre-employment interview or is it only for those that are about to get an offer? I was named a finalist a while back but was not offered the interview. I'm guessing I'm an alternate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question to finalists - Do all finalists go through a pre-employment interview or is it only for those that are about to get an offer? I was named a finalist a while back but was not offered the interview. I'm guessing I'm an alternate?
I'm in the same boat. From what I understand, there are a lot of the components that don't do SLIP interviews - they select finalists based completely on the paper applications, rank them, and start offering at the top until all the positions are filled. If anyone has more information on which components take this approach, I think there are a lot of us that would be interested in any information you could provide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:25 pm

EOIR doesn't interview.

Has EOIR made any SLIP offers yet? They did so a few weeks ago this time last year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Question to finalists - Do all finalists go through a pre-employment interview or is it only for those that are about to get an offer? I was named a finalist a while back but was not offered the interview. I'm guessing I'm an alternate?
I'm in the same boat. From what I understand, there are a lot of the components that don't do SLIP interviews - they select finalists based completely on the paper applications, rank them, and start offering at the top until all the positions are filled. If anyone has more information on which components take this approach, I think there are a lot of us that would be interested in any information you could provide.
To really give you an answer, I'd have to know what kind of interview you're talking about. Are you talking about the screeners and callbacks that some components do, or are you talking about the "pre-employment" interview where they make sure you aren't a felon or delinquient on your debts?

Screeners and callbacks are heavily component specific. Some do none, some do one, and some (mine among them) do both. I suspect that the "pre-employment" interview is more ubiquitous (though I don't actually know), since I can't imagine that any component doesn't have to check those things and it's better to get a sense pre-offer than find out in March that all your picks are disqualified.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
To really give you an answer, I'd have to know what kind of interview you're talking about. Are you talking about the screeners and callbacks that some components do, or are you talking about the "pre-employment" interview where they make sure you aren't a felon or delinquient on your debts?

Screeners and callbacks are heavily component specific. Some do none, some do one, and some (mine among them) do both. I suspect that the "pre-employment" interview is more ubiquitous (though I don't actually know), since I can't imagine that any component doesn't have to check those things and it's better to get a sense pre-offer than find out in March that all your picks are disqualified.
After taking a harder look at both of these posts, we were probably referring to two different types of interviews - thanks for pointing that out. My question referred to which components select their SLIP finalists without screening interviews or callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:26 pm

This may be a dumb question, but there aren't any cuts to the DOJ in this debt ceiling trigger thingy... right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

After taking a harder look at both of these posts, we were probably referring to two different types of interviews - thanks for pointing that out. My question referred to which components select their SLIP finalists without screening interviews or callbacks.
Yes, I was unclear about the type of interview. I meant to say the pre-employment interview (about past employment, criminal history and debts) after the initial screener and call back interview. For those that did not get either, the pre-employment interview after being named a finalist.

I was listed as a finalist, but have not received any kind of email about scheduling a pre-employment interview conducted by ORAM. Other than myself, are there any finalists out there that has yet been notified about a pre-employment interview?

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Last year EOIR sent some sort of location ranking sheet. I have not received one. Has anyone else?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:20 pm

EOIR SLIP offer last week. Sent in geographic preferences a while ago. The offer came about a week after my references were checked. Have a friend that received an EOIR honors offer as well and the timeline seemed similar - references, offer a week later.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:27 pm

Congrats!!! Strange. I didn't get the geographic location thing, but I was selected as a finalist last week. Well, I guess that means I'm an alternate. What locations were available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR SLIP offer last week. Sent in geographic preferences a while ago. The offer came about a week after my references were checked. Have a friend that received an EOIR honors offer as well and the timeline seemed similar - references, offer a week later.
Sigh..it looks as if Honors offers for EOIR have gone out, then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Odd. First indication of an offer or reference call for EOIR (SLIP & Honors) is that post. I'm slightly skeptical.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Odd. First indication of an offer or reference call for EOIR (SLIP & Honors) is that post. I'm slightly skeptical.
Is this coming from another EOIR candidate? I really hope that post isn't accurate, considering I'm an Honors finalist with no reference calls or offer :/.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Odd. First indication of an offer or reference call for EOIR (SLIP & Honors) is that post. I'm slightly skeptical.
Is this coming from another EOIR candidate? I really hope that post isn't accurate, considering I'm an Honors finalist with no reference calls or offer :/.
I am that poster and an EOIR Slip finalist. I have also not had refs calls, an offer, or an email asking for geog prefs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am that poster and an EOIR Slip finalist. I have also not had refs calls, an offer, or an email asking for geog prefs.
Have you had ANY contact with the EOIR people? Did they have you send in writing samples or an updated resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you had ANY contact with the EOIR people? Did they have you send in writing samples or an updated resume?
Yes. I was selected for further consideration about a month or so ago and asked to submit a resume, transcript, and writing sample. Then last Wednesday my status on Avue changed to "Selected as Finalist." That is the only contact I've had. How about you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:13 pm

l

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 am

Got offered a SLIP position. Non-EOIR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got offered a SLIP position. Non-EOIR.
mind sharing which component?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got offered a SLIP position. Non-EOIR.
mind sharing which component?
I'm afraid to be too specific, because I don't really want to out myself. So I'll narrow down a little bit by saying: not EOIR, not ATR, and not Civ.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”