WilmerHale DC v. Cleary DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where would you go?

WilmerHale DC
78%
Cleary DC
22%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

WilmerHale DC v. Cleary DC

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:18 am

I am fortunate enough to have offers at both WilmerHale DC and Cleary DC. I still have CB's with firms that could really shake things up for me (Boies DC, Weil NY and Skadden LA); but assuming that these are my only two offers, I could use some input as to what might be the right choice.

I enjoyed both firms when I visited. I do think that I clicked better with the Wilmer folks. I also just liked their offices better.

I am interested in complex commercial lit, antitrust, white collar and international arbitration. I think I am in it for the long haul, though I would like to move in and our of government later in my career.

I have to admit I am doing some prestige whoring here... the strength of the Cleary brand really appeals to me (though it seems that WH has a much stronger DC presence). What else should really drive my decision when it comes to these two firms?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: WilmerHale DC v. Cleary DC

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:26 am

Satellite offices are fail. Cleary has more of a "brand" in NYC, but Wilmer is a much bigger brand in DC and will take you a lot further in DC. Go to Wilmer; there is literally no reason in your post why you should go to Cleary. (And I am generally a big Cleary cheerleader.)

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am fortunate enough to have offers at both WilmerHale DC and Cleary DC. I still have CB's with firms that could really shake things up for me (Boies DC, Weil NY and Skadden LA); but assuming that these are my only two offers, I could use some input as to what might be the right choice.

I enjoyed both firms when I visited. I do think that I clicked better with the Wilmer folks. I also just liked their offices better.

I am interested in complex commercial lit, antitrust, white collar and international arbitration. I think I am in it for the long haul, though I would like to move in and our of government later in my career.

I have to admit I am doing some prestige whoring here... the strength of the Cleary brand really appeals to me (though it seems that WH has a much stronger DC presence). What else should really drive my decision when it comes to these two firms?

Thanks!

Wilmer. You click better, Wilmer and many federal agencies are revolving doors, their white collar/gov investigations practice is one of the best (think Enron/Worldcom) and international arbitration and ITC work is huge there. You will have more opportunities to explore different types of practice there, etc. Cleary is an amazing (NY) firm, but Wilmer is one of a few DC powerhouse firms, especially in what you're interested in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:37 am

Wilmer. You click better, Wilmer and many federal agencies are revolving doors, their white collar/gov investigations practice is one of the best (think Enron/Worldcom) and international arbitration and ITC work is huge there. You will have more opportunities to explore different types of practice there, etc. Cleary is an amazing (NY) firm, but Wilmer is one of a few DC powerhouse firms, especially in what you're interested in.

OP here. Thanks for this. Substantive and helpful. The bolded was my sense when I was there - and that was a lot of the appeal. Have been wondering if that is the general consensus.

Any insight as to why WH dropped in the Vault rankings this year? Should I just disregard that entirely, or could it be a sign of trouble?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Thanks for this. Substantive and helpful. The bolded was my sense when I was there - and that was a lot of the appeal. Have been wondering if that is the general consensus.

Any insight as to why WH dropped in the Vault rankings this year? Should I just disregard that entirely, or could it be a sign of trouble?

Vault rankings are meaningless for everything except corporate work in NYC. Ignore them.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am fortunate enough to have offers at both WilmerHale DC and Cleary DC. I still have CB's with firms that could really shake things up for me (Boies DC, Weil NY and Skadden LA); but assuming that these are my only two offers, I could use some input as to what might be the right choice.

Thanks!

As one metric to think about, here are the Chambers Partners D.C. rankings for each firm:

Cleary:

Antitrust (Band 1)
David I Gelfand (Band 2)
George S Cary (Band 1)
Jeremy Calsyn (Band U)
Leah Brannon (Band U)
Mark Leddy (Band 1)
Mark W Nelson (Band 4)
Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (Band 3)
John T Byam (Band 4)
Paul Marquardt (Band 4)

Wilmer:

Antitrust (Band 3)
Leon B Greenfield (Band 5)
Thomas Mueller (Band 4)
William J Kolasky (Band 2)
Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Band 1)
Craig Goldblatt (Band 2)
William J Perlstein (Band S)
Corporate/M&A & Private Equity (Band 3)
Stephanie C Evans (Band 3)
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Scott Kilgore (Band 3)
Environment (Band 4)
Kenneth Meade (Band 5)
Intellectual Property (Band 3)
David L Cavanaugh (Band 4)
Litigation (Band 2)
Litigation: General Commercial
Randolph D Moss (Band 3)
Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Howard Shapiro (Band 2)
Media & Entertainment (Band 2)
Patrick J Carome (Band 2)
Real Estate
Allen H Fox (Band 3)
Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite: Regulatory (Band 2)
Jonathan Nuechterlein (Band 1)
Samir Jain (Band 4)

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:06 pm

The "Cleary brand" has nothing on the "WilmerHale" brand in DC.

There are only a handful of traditional, well-respected DC firms, WilmerHale is one of them.

When looking at DC, look past the overall Vault rankings. There are several DC firms that are underrated by Vault: Hogan and Steptoe quickly come to mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:32 pm

OP.

Vault rankings are meaningless for everything except corporate work in NYC. Ignore them.

I am slowly beginning to realize the truth in this. Admittedly, I have a hard time with it. I guess I goes used to treating rankings (USNews) as the word of God for so long that it has become a hard habit to break.

working for a NY firm's DC office may leave you with the worst of all worlds: DC bonus + NY hours.

Had not considered this. Thanks GTL.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:10 pm

FWIW - Vault DC rankings seem to be fairly accurate:

http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... gYear=2012

2012:

(1) Williams & Connolly
(2) Covington & Burling
(3) WilmerHale
(4) Arnold & Porter
(5) Skadden