Need OCI advice, median/secondary journal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Need OCI advice, median/secondary journal

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:57 am

I have an interview with a prosecutor's office in a few weeks. I want this job more than any others interviewing at OCI. I was selected to interview, and I really want to make myself stand out.

-right at 50 percentile in a regional law school ranked in the lower 70-100 range.
-Interview is for an out of state prosecutor's office where I have never lived, but my college was only a few hours away (and my entire family lives in my college town now).
-on a journal that is well-respected for a secondary journal, but not as high as the flagship one.
-worked for a comparable prosecutor's office my 1L summer. spent a lot of time observing court, writing motions, meeting w/ cops/defense/witnesses, and doing general research.
-i'm young (early 20's)

obviously i should play up the court experience, but what specifically can help me stick out for more than just my middle of the class grades? I did go from 60th percent first semester to 40th percent second semester, but that doesn't prove anything imo. both are lousy.

any advice appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Need OCI advice, median/secondary journal

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm

bump, please help. any general interview advice is appreciated. I have researched general job interview tips, but is there anybody out there with experience?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:40 pm

This is more or less my position exactly (at a T40). Would love to hear some responses.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Have a damn good reason why you want to be in that area. That will probably be one of the first things they ask.

After that, figure out what actual experience you got from the court and play that up. Prosecutors like people that can jump right in. Did you do voire dire? Did you get to participate in anything? I would play up the stuff that you actively participated in, if anything.

Aside from that, what else in your life is well-suited to being in front of people, being a trial attorney? Any expericences that convey people skills or presentation skills.

Finally, why do you want to be a prosecutor? Figure out a good answer to that. What about it makes it so appealing?

Return to “Legal Employment”