Wrote onto Journal as Transfer - Update OCI Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wrote onto Journal as Transfer - Update OCI Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:31 pm

So, I wrote onto a journal (not LR) after transferring, and found out just after OCI ended. Should I update the firms where I have CBs, or just bring an updated copy to the callback? One reason I can think of to get it out now is that in adding the fact that I made a journal at the new school, I also deleted "invited to x journal" at old school, which might reflect negatively since I did not make law review at my old school, and most of the other transfers did make it at their old schools.

Also, I have many firms where I never got a CB or a ding. I'm sure the majority are dings, but I was thinking I may as well send them my updated resume as well. Cant hurt, right? Is it better to send the resume to the actual person I screened with, or a recruiter from those firms? What would you say in an email to screeners you met with over a week ago, since it's a little awkward - I'm probably 99% sure not to get a callback anyway at this point. Anyone have experience with any of this?

traydeuce

Re: Wrote onto Journal as Transfer - Update OCI Firms?

Postby traydeuce » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm

I think that the mere fact of writing onto a secondary won't do you too much good. I remember last year at OCI, some firms would ask me point-blank if transfers could make the main journal at Georgetown. In a sense you may almost be better off if it's an unknown and all they know is that you're waiting to see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:35 pm

traydeuce wrote:I think that the mere fact of writing onto a secondary won't do you too much good. I remember last year at OCI, some firms would ask me point-blank if transfers could make the main journal at Georgetown. In a sense you may almost be better off if it's an unknown and all they know is that you're waiting to see.

OP here - I agree it isn't that impressive, since almost any transfer can get on a journal if you are willing to put in the work. I just wonder that since I have 15 firms with just silence so far, if I update the ones I am actually interested in, maybe it will also serve to show them I am still interested. I do have 12 CBs, so I actually am not interested in all 15, but maybe it would make sense to update a few of them in hopes of snagging another CB or two.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:46 pm

I guess it can't do much harm, just might help a bit, depending on the secondary, and does show interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:03 am

I'd update the firms that you didn't hear from and just bring an updated resume to your CBs.

I just got onto a highly regarded secondary as a managing editor, so I've been updating firms that I interviewed with. I figure the new resume line can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:09 am

Absolutely can't hurt to update them. You were just one of many people who interviewed so it is smart to make your name fresh in their minds, and to add an extra credential to your resume (albeit not a major one, but journal-writing experience is never a bad thing in the eyes of law firms)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Absolutely can't hurt to update them. You were just one of many people who interviewed so it is smart to make your name fresh in their minds, and to add an extra credential to your resume (albeit not a major one, but journal-writing experience is never a bad thing in the eyes of law firms)

Similar question here. Posting anonymously because outting my name will make it easy for some people to figure out who I am. I am a transfer who made law review in my transfer school. I applied to some resume collects before making law review. Should I email the firms with my updated Resume? Should I resend all my application materials to the contact since my previous submission was indirect (through the law school).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:43 am

If you made Law Review, I would definitely update. If it is secondary, you might be better of not updating so then the firms think you still have a shot at making Law Review.

Return to “Legal Employment”