NYC Callback Monday--thoughts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hofman777

NYC Callback Monday--thoughts?

Postby hofman777 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:26 pm

I have a callback scheduled for Monday morning at a firm located on the southern end of NYC (firm is located in the south ferry/battery park area...I would prefer not to say the firm's name). The firm has not communicated with me in anyway about the callback being cancelled. I figure it's going to be cancelled since a) Mayor Bloomberg said mass transit will probably not be running Monday morning and b) that part of NYC is the most likely to be flooded.

What do you all think?

I was thinking about emailing the recruiting person tomorrow and asking...

Anonymous User

Re: NYC Callback Monday--thoughts?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:33 pm

I don't think it's likely that that area will still be flooded come Monday, but, at the same time, I doubt many people will be in the office at SullCrom/Fried Frank/Cahill. (I think those are the three big ones near South Ferry.) Email them now and ask; can't hurt, but it's unlikely they would respond before Monday even if there weren't a hurricane--recruiting people don't come into the office on weekends.

I would assume it's cancelled unless told otherwise.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Email now be proactive about this. Lower manhattan will still be a mess and there won't be transportation. Everyone will be checking their emails and messages. Don't assume it will be cancelled- find out the facts .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:56 pm

I had one NYC firm (midtown) email me to say Monday interviews are still on but I think that's the exception. Everyone in the city is assuming all bets are off and everything will be closed on Monday.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:46 pm

sunynp wrote:Email now be proactive about this. Lower manhattan will still be a mess and there won't be transportation. Everyone will be checking their emails and messages. Don't assume it will be cancelled- find out the facts .

This. If the transit isn't 100% up and running (and chances are high it won't be), lots of people will not be coming into work. You can email anytime; don't wait until tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 pm

E-mail the person you had the screening interview with or an alumni of your law school. Attorneys are much more likely to be checking their e-mail tonight than the recruiting staff. Ask them what you should do or plan on.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:53 pm

The NYC transit system, particularly Metro North and LIRR look for every excuse to shut down, particularly at the end of the month as most customers are monthly and they save money not having to have the trains run. They shut down service for a week when a wire falls. They are going to milk this to make sure the trains don't run until the 1st so to not to have to spend money servicing people who paid for service. Being that many NYC lawyers live in Westchester and Long Island, I doubt offices are open, but on the other hand, you'll look terrible if you bail on a scheduled interview.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:14 pm

AffordablePrep wrote:The NYC transit system, particularly Metro North and LIRR look for every excuse to shut down, particularly at the end of the month as most customers are monthly and they save money not having to have the trains run. They shut down service for a week when a wire falls. They are going to milk this to make sure the trains don't run until the 1st so to not to have to spend money servicing people who paid for service. Being that many NYC lawyers live in Westchester and Long Island, I doubt offices are open, but on the other hand, you'll look terrible if you bail on a scheduled interview.

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I think this is a little much. I think there is almost no chance that any part of the transit system will still be down on Thursday. That said... Monday? No way. The mayor has effectively said that the subway system will not be functioning on Monday morning.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:27 pm

FYI bloomberg said in his last press conference that mass transit won't be up until at least Monday afternoon. This may affect how you will get to your interview. I think you should reschedule but it is your call.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:The NYC transit system, particularly Metro North and LIRR look for every excuse to shut down, particularly at the end of the month as most customers are monthly and they save money not having to have the trains run. They shut down service for a week when a wire falls. They are going to milk this to make sure the trains don't run until the 1st so to not to have to spend money servicing people who paid for service. Being that many NYC lawyers live in Westchester and Long Island, I doubt offices are open, but on the other hand, you'll look terrible if you bail on a scheduled interview.

I'm as cynical as the next guy, but I think this is a little much. I think there is almost no chance that any part of the transit system will still be down on Thursday. That said... Monday? No way. The mayor has effectively said that the subway system will not be functioning on Monday morning.

LIRR is not the subway system.

They charge $300 a month to commute. If you only provide service for half a month, they can save a lot of money as most of the workers are $30/hour employees. It's really a victimless crime as Nassau and Suffolk Counties are two of the overtaxed counties in America so being ripped off an extra $500 a year or so does not really influence them too much. These are counties who pay police officers 70k a year starting for cops who have to solve one murder every decade, and can't even do that.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:04 am

AffordablePrep wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

They charge $300 a month to commute. If you only provide service for half a month, they can save a lot of money as most of the workers are $30/hour employees. It's really a victimless crime as Nassau and Suffolk Counties are two of the overtaxed counties in America so being ripped off an extra $500 a year or so does not really influence them too much. These are counties who pay police officers 70k a year starting for cops who have to solve one murder every decade, and can't even do that.

Yes, I know that.

Your argument applies equally to the subway system. Lots of people have monthly Metrocards that are also hemorrhaging value. I just don't think the MTA stands to gain anything by intentionally slowing the recovery of the system. The economic losses to the region and the bad PR would more than outweigh any gains. I would be seriously, seriously surprised if MNR and LIRR aren't back up by the Tuesday morning commute.

None of this is really relevant to Monday, though, which is going to be a wash.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
AffordablePrep wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Yes, I know that.

Your argument applies equally to the subway system. Lots of people have monthly Metrocards that are also hemorrhaging value. I just don't think the MTA stands to gain anything by intentionally slowing the recovery of the system. The economic losses to the region and the bad PR would more than outweigh any gains. I would be seriously, seriously surprised if MNR and LIRR aren't back up by the Tuesday morning commute.

None of this is really relevant to Monday, though, which is going to be a wash.

The subway is actually cheap for what you get. $108 for unlimited travel-a monthly card and no car makes nyc rent not soooo bad.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I would be shocked if the LIRR was not up and running on Tuesday.

Return to “Legal Employment”