What to do for a year.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do for a year.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm a 2011 graduate, took the bar exam and have a clerkship lined up for next year (2012-13). But I don't have a jerb for 2011-2012. I don't want a 1-year gap on my resume at all. Any ideas on what I can do?

For firms, I'm guessing they wouldn't like hiring someone that's going to leave after a year. This situation is spinnable to a 1-year trial run (i.e., sort of an extended summer associate) but I don't know if any firms would go for that. Worth trying, but does anyone know if this works? Also, official internship positions at various places seem to often require that the applicant still be in school, which I'm not. Again, worth sending mail to these places to see if they're willing to hire me anyway, but does anyone know if this works?

What else? Majority of typical year-long positions (clerkships, fellowships, etc) have obviously been filled by now, though on occasion, stuff opens up and I apply for them. I could also do some unpaid work, but not for very long--my financial situation totally sucks. There are occasionally some temp/project jobs, but when I look at the job posting they almost always want people with some experience, not a recent grad.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: What to do for a year.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Firms would ordinarily have hired you (they would give you an offer to return after your clerkship), but you've waited until far too late. I would look for small practitioners and basically beg to work for them. With a clerkship, someone will give you a job paying $12/hr that will get you through a year.

ITE8NY

Postby ITE8NY » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Keep doing what you're doing, but apply for the positions that want experience too. You might actually be better qualified than some people with experience, or at least smarter and more likable. The future clerkship on your resume will help kick your resume onto the good pile.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:51 pm

not sure where you're located but find a small firm and ask to do something with them if that's feasible. OR else find a firm that's doing a project you could work on or an association related to a university (center for climate law at x university etc). Or maybe there's a one year master's/professional degree course or something you could take?

existenz

Postby existenz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:11 pm

You could always look at some do-gooder opportunities abroad. Seems kind of late to be starting to think about this though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far, friends! I agree that the timing is really late, but I wasn't sitting on this or waiting. I got the clerkship pretty recently, and I had been applying to a lot of stuff for the past year--fellowships/internships/etc that started in 2011, fall associate/entry level stuff at firms, and 2012 clerkships. So, I'm extremely excited about getting the clerkship; the next step is to get myself out of the awkward position of finding something for 2011-12 at this point in the year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

study abroad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:00 pm

watch TV, there's some good shows on.

Return to “Legal Employment”