3L OCI - All schools Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI - All schools

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CN, no firm SA as 2L, cbs at two NYC V40s. Fuck the people who want to trade-up, I've heard of people trying to go from V10 to V5.
no. f all the people with 2.9s who decided to bid on vault 10 firms during 2L recruiting thinking they can sway the interviewer with their awesome people skills. if you wouldn't waste everyone's time and selfishly take interview spots, some of us wouldn't have to trade up.
I'm not the OP. Also, maybe it's different at other schools. But at my CCN school people with 2.9 GPAs didn't exactly bid on V10 firms. Hell, people with median grades rarely bid on places like Cravath, Wachtell, S&C, etc... If you want to believe that the only reason why you didn't get a V10 job originally was because a bunch of people with C+ averages selfishly stole your interview spots, then I think that you're borderline delusional.

Also, if you really were obviously destined for the V10 as a 2L, you would have been able to simply drop by their hospitality suites, hand the recruiters your resume/transcripts, and wait for them all to blow up your cell phone for callbacks. I have multiple friends who got callbacks and offers by just stopping by hospitality suites for V10 firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CN, no firm SA as 2L, cbs at two NYC V40s. Fuck the people who want to trade-up, I've heard of people trying to go from V10 to V5.
no. f all the people with 2.9s who decided to bid on vault 10 firms during 2L recruiting thinking they can sway the interviewer with their awesome people skills. if you wouldn't waste everyone's time and selfishly take interview spots, some of us wouldn't have to trade up.
I'm not the OP. Also, maybe it's different at other schools. But at my CCN school people with 2.9 GPAs didn't exactly bid on V10 firms. Hell, people with median grades rarely bid on places like Cravath, Wachtell, S&C, etc... If you want to believe that the only reason why you didn't get a V10 job originally was because a bunch of people with C+ averages selfishly stole your interview spots, then I think that you're borderline delusional.
you'd be surprised how often it happens. i've been in screeners with v10 where the interviewers directly complained to me about this happening.

you also somewhat missed my point. my point was that its dumb to blame other candidates for "taking interview spots." so what if prestige matters to someone so much that they want to trade up from a v20 to a v10. thats their business. yes it's unfortunate the top third at ccn struck out, but now you want fellow peers to try less hard to even out the playing field for everyone? i should stay at a firm that will make me unhappy for the small chance that i MIGHT take a job from someone. are you kidding me. should we also try to get more Bs so its easier for you to get As and bump up your gpa - after all law school grading is somewhat random too. your whole premise is just completely off.

you are just as delusional if you think the only reason you are striking out at 3L oci is because the v20 guys are trying to move into the vault 10. if you couldn't get a v100 during 2L recruiting, what the hell has changed that now qualifies you for a v10 job. if anything these guys are opening up more spots for you at lower ranked firms.

don't hate the player, hate the game.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
you'd be surprised how often it happens. i've been in screeners with v10 where the interviewers directly complained to me about this happening.

you also somewhat missed my point. my point was that its dumb to blame other candidates for "taking interview spots." so what if prestige matters to someone so much that they want to trade up from a v20 to a v10. thats their business. yes it's unfortunate the top third at ccn struck out, but now you want fellow peers to try less hard to even out the playing field for everyone? i should stay at a firm that will make me unhappy for the small chance that i MIGHT take a job from someone. are you kidding me. should we also try to get more Bs so its easier for you to get As and bump up your gpa - after all law school grading is somewhat random too. your whole premise is just completely off.

you are just as delusional if you think the only reason you are striking out at 3L oci is because the v20 guys are trying to move into the vault 10. if you couldn't get a v100 during 2L recruiting, what the hell has changed that now qualifies you for a v10 job. if anything these guys are opening up more spots for you at lower ranked firms.

Where did I say that you should stay at a firm that makes you miserable? There are plenty of great reasons to do 3L OCI (even if you already have an offer). For example, during 2L year you might realize that you're really interested in a practice area that your current firm lacks. Or maybe you have a significant other that gets a job in a different city and you want to move there. Or maybe you're just really miserable at your 2L firm. However, saying I'm at a V100, but I could be at a V20 doesn't seem like a great reason for doing 3L OCI (assuming that you like your current firm and everything). At the very least, just realize that you're going to piss off a lot of your classmates if the only reason why you're doing 3L OCI is to increase the prestige of your firm.

Also, OP wasn't directly blaming people for taking interview spots (hence my confusion). There's more to applying to firms as a 3L than doing OCI screeners.

What am I doing that qualifies me for a V100 firm job? LOL. The same shit that everyone else that got a firm job did. I.e. go to top school, get good grades, do journal, activities, etc... Don't act like post-2009 OCI is some kind of rigid science whereby everyone that got a firm job was inevitably destined for one. Realize that there's a huge amount of randomness to the process but also that once you get one firm down on your resume, suddenly you're golden for other firms too (kind of like how once you bang one hot chick in high school, all of the other chicks think you're the shit, even though nothing else about you has changed). Btw, just throwing it out there that I did get a callback at a V10 as a 3L (after striking out as a 2L), so I can't be THAT unqualified...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Post-screener Paul Weiss NY ding.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:30 pm

Honestly the ONLY thing I have a problem with in terms of taking spots is when people who have an offer with a V100 firm (for example) bidding on lower end firms that they will tell you they wouldnt even consider if they got an offer but want to get "interview practice" and "cover all their bases". I know of two people particularly in my class doing this and it is really bush league. You have an offer from a firm you like, you used most of your bids on firms you'd at least consider over your current firm, why bid on firms you'd never consider just because you have the bids and screw others who may not be as fortunate. Ridiculous if you ask me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Btw, just throwing it out there that I did get a callback at a V10 as a 3L (after striking out as a 2L), so I can't be THAT unqualified...
Congrats on this. Did you get it through OCI or mailing?

Good luck with the results.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Btw, just throwing it out there that I did get a callback at a V10 as a 3L (after striking out as a 2L), so I can't be THAT unqualified...
Congrats on this. Did you get it through OCI or mailing?

Good luck with the results.
Thanks! Got it through OCI

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stop with this "opening up spots" bullshit. It's been said before, firms may not care if one or two people don't accept their offers. They may try to bump hiring for the 2L class or hire a lateral. Whereas the firms coming to 3L OCI are probably going to hire people.

And we're talking about people who would be perfectly happy at their V40 or V20 (except for getting a little pissed every time they met someone working at a V10) but are trading up just because of the prestige. I know some people had very bad experiences at their firms and are looking to move (and would accept an offer from a lower-ranked Vault firm just to get out of their original firm). It's the people who say "oh, I loved my time at V20, everyone was really nice and the work was great!" who piss me off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Anyone know of anyone having received an offer from Davis Polk (NY)?

ssss

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:49 am

Has anyone had any callbacks as a 3L yet? I had a callback and was told that since 3L hiring is a bit different than 2L hiring for the summer, I may not hear back until they've completed hiring 2Ls for the summer. It has been over a week since I've had the callback with no response yet. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any callbacks as a 3L yet? I had a callback and was told that since 3L hiring is a bit different than 2L hiring for the summer, I may not hear back until they've completed hiring 2Ls for the summer. It has been over a week since I've had the callback with no response yet. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have a callback that I was told by the firm not to schedule until after the date when they expected to be done with the bulk of 2L hiring, so it does seem that they deal with 3Ls after 2Ls...

peter2009

New

Post by peter2009 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had any callbacks as a 3L yet? I had a callback and was told that since 3L hiring is a bit different than 2L hiring for the summer, I may not hear back until they've completed hiring 2Ls for the summer. It has been over a week since I've had the callback with no response yet. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I have a callback that I was told by the firm not to schedule until after the date when they expected to be done with the bulk of 2L hiring, so it does seem that they deal with 3Ls after 2Ls...

I think this may be somewhat similar to Quinn. Although I have heard of a few 3Ls with early callback interviews. Anybody interviewing with Quinn in the next week or so?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:06 pm

peter2009 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think this may be somewhat similar to Quinn. Although I have heard of a few 3Ls with early callback interviews. Anybody interviewing with Quinn in the next week or so?
Next week.

peter2009

New

Post by peter2009 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
peter2009 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Next week.
Office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Any 3Ls hear from K&E NY post-callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Any offers from LA firms?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3Ls hear from K&E NY post-callback?
I haven't heard anything from Kirkland. Callback was 9/7. There was someone on this board at the same CB, who had their rejection in a few days. When was yours?

Hard to imagine why it's taking so long, but it seems we're still in the running.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:24 pm

K and E appears to still be interviewing 3Ls, there were at least two doing CBs this week in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:27 pm

luthersloan wrote:K and E appears to still be interviewing 3Ls, there were at least two doing CBs this week in NY.
If that's the case, maybe they aren't making any 3L offers until they're done interviewing all 3Ls. Have you heard of any K&E NY 3L offers yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

Are you guys interviewing at K&E NY for lit or corporate?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are you guys interviewing at K&E NY for lit or corporate?
Corporate

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from LA firms?

Also interested in this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Yes - 3L friend received an offer from them last week, from 9/7 interview day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes - 3L friend received an offer from them last week, from 9/7 interview day.
Which practice group?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”