Tomorrow's East Coast Flight Cancelled

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tomorrow's East Coast Flight Cancelled

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:17 am

Just to keep everyone updated in case you're trying to get to NYC this weekend --- got an automated call from US Airways that my flight from Charlotte to NYC tomorrow evening was cancelled. Going to try to hop on the Amtrak from DC area and see if that can beat the storm up there.

Hope you all have safe travels.

sunynp

Re: Tomorrow's East Coast Flight Cancelled

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:38 am

Dude-For arriving flights all five airports are on lockdown starting at noon tomorrow... Why are you so anxious to get here in the face of this storm? How will you get around once you are here? Can you walk everywhere you need to go? If your in midtown you might be fine, otherwise? I don't understand the super rush to get to the city facing a major disaster.
Last edited by sunynp on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:39 am

FYI I took Amtrak into NYC today, and the ticket agent said they are going to shut down all operations sometime early afternoon tomorrow, I believe. Good luck, I hope you can make it into the city in time.

Things are going into lockdown mode here in NYC. If anyone is on the fence about coming in tomorrow, even first thing in the morning, I'd really advise against it. Mass transit is shutting down at noon and will be shut down for around 48 hours at a minimum (which is a BIG DEAL) so you're going to have a hell of a time getting to your hotel, from the airports and even from Penn Station; I would NOT want to be trying to get a cab tomorrow. I am personally not going to leave a 10 block radius of my home this weekend.

Reschedule callbacks if possible. NYC is not playing around with this storm.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:50 am

I hope people reAlize how serious this storm is - transportation into and around the city is shutting down. This has never happened before - even on9/11 the mta kept service going. You will only be able to walk. If the storm damage is severe as is feared, you won't be doing anything productive either. You do not want to be in the city if you can avoid it.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 am

(Was the earlier anon re: Amtrak etc.)

You don't realize how smoothly (relatively) things run in NYC until something like this happens. Tomorrow there are going to be 8 million people who can't go about their normal lives at all. There are over 250,000 people in the five boroughs who are required to evacuate their homes tomorrow. That's half a pre-Katrina New Orleans' worth of people who are temporary refugees here in New York, and they have to get out by noon on the trains or else fend for themselves however they can. I've read that the federal government is advising people above the tenth floor in high rises to evacuate because the winds are much more severe high up; that is another ton of people. I think coming from another city that isn't so dense and heavily reliant on public transit, the significance of all this might not be immediately apparent, but it really is a big deal and this city is not going to be functioning properly for a little while.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 am

I doubt the recruiters are worrying about call backs. It's a possible natural disaster.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:(Was the earlier anon re: Amtrak etc.)

You don't realize how smoothly (relatively) things run in NYC until something like this happens. Tomorrow there are going to be 8 million people who can't go about their normal lives at all. There are over 250,000 people in the five boroughs who are required to evacuate their homes tomorrow. That's half a pre-Katrina New Orleans' worth of people who are temporary refugees here in New York, and they have to get out by noon on the trains or else fend for themselves however they can. I've read that the federal government is advising people above the tenth floor in high rises to evacuate because the winds are much more severe high up; that is another ton of people. I think coming from another city that isn't so dense and heavily reliant on public transit, the significance of all this might not be immediately apparent, but it really is a big deal and this city is not going to be functioning properly for a little while.

Seconded. There's a reason this evacuation is pretty much unprecedented: It is going to shut the city down, and it will takes days or longer to restart things, even in the best case scenario.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:19 am

I'm glad other people agree with me. People should not be coming into the city now- I guess I understand a little better why the city is shutting down at noon tomorrow - trust me, even people who live here can't get home and won't be at work Monday. I've gone through disasters in NYC - just stay away and let the city get back on track.

I hadn't heard anyone say to evacuate if you are above the tenth floor. That would be so many people- there is no place to go - unless the building lobby or basement is available.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:23 am

sunynp wrote:I'm glad other people agree with me. People should not be coming into the city now- I guess I understand a little better why the city is shutting down at noon tomorrow - trust me, even people who live here can't get home and won't be at work Monday. I've gone through disasters in NYC - just stay away and let the city get back on track.

I hadn't heard anyone say to evacuate if you are above the tenth floor. That would be so many people- there is no place to go - unless the building lobby or basement is available.

I know. I haven't heard it in the press, either, just somewhere buried in something Irene-related, maybe on NOAA. Sorry, I don't remember where I read it exactly, and I'm not trying to freak anyone out; I think if it were actually a substantial risk, the city would be telling people. (Or you could get out your tinfoil hat and say it's because they know saying something like that would cause a big panic... but, I don't personally believe that.) I do think the physics of it all mean that high floors of buildings are subject to worse winds, which they hopefully and presumably are designed to sustain.

AffordablePrep

Postby AffordablePrep » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:26 am

kind of makes me want to leave the city, and get to my family who refuses to leave their low level community a mile from a beach.

Return to “Legal Employment”