How much does the "charm" factor play during call backs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How much does the "charm" factor play during call backs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Does charm and likability trump bland resumes and low school rankings? I've heard from many people on this forum that this is true. But why?

And can charm and likability alone (that is, while being slightly below average on other abilities) lead someone to become partner?

And most importantly, is charm and likability a natural talent? Or can someone improve it? How?

Just wondering why my interviews aren't playing out.

Anonymous User

Re: How much does the "charm" factor play during call backs?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm going to be a dickhead with this post because you used the anonymous feature and I'm guessing this is what you were looking for.

The reason that, during a callback, "charm and likability" are more important is that "bland resumes and low school rankings" don't make it to the callback stage. The firm doesn't think you aren't worth an offer if they invite you to a callback. The reason "charm and likability" matter are that people like to be around people they like.

Society has clearly put a lot of ideas in your head about what it takes to impress other people or make them happy. You often see people with people with plastic surgery on TV. You see people who speak like everything they say was written long in advance (it was). THESE IDEAS ARE WRONG. You can be fat and ugly as hell and still make people happy and love you. You might not be happy - being fat makes you feel like shit - but you can trick people into liking you by using tricks if you learn the right ones.

Shit, I'm drunk and the girl I'm staying with wants me to speed this up. Social dynamics come from practice and research and hard work, just like anything else. Look it up on the web.

nigelfrost

Postby nigelfrost » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does charm and likability trump bland resumes and low school rankings? I've heard from many people on this forum that this is true. But why?

And can charm and likability alone (that is, while being slightly below average on other abilities) lead someone to become partner?

And most importantly, is charm and likability a natural talent? Or can someone improve it? How?

Just wondering why my interviews aren't playing out.

Stop it . . . just . . . stop it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:14 am

Charm school. Or John Casablanca's. They're all over. http://www.jcasablancas.com/

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Charm school.

http://www.amazon.com/Charm-School-Nels ... 0446353205 (too bad its actually just a Soviet-era thriller)
Last edited by Sup Kid on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to be a dickhead with this post because you used the anonymous feature and I'm guessing this is what you were looking for.

The reason that, during a callback, "charm and likability" are more important is that "bland resumes and low school rankings" don't make it to the callback stage. The firm doesn't think you aren't worth an offer if they invite you to a callback. The reason "charm and likability" matter are that people like to be around people they like.

Society has clearly put a lot of ideas in your head about what it takes to impress other people or make them happy. You often see people with people with plastic surgery on TV. You see people who speak like everything they say was written long in advance (it was). THESE IDEAS ARE WRONG. You can be fat and ugly as hell and still make people happy and love you. You might not be happy - being fat makes you feel like shit - but you can trick people into liking you by using tricks if you learn the right ones.

Shit, I'm drunk and the girl I'm staying with wants me to speed this up. Social dynamics come from practice and research and hard work, just like anything else. Look it up on the web.

subtle yet incredibly weak don draper trolling

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to be a dickhead with this post because you used the anonymous feature and I'm guessing this is what you were looking for.

:D :D :D :D

out yourself, bolded anon user. I officially love you.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:59 am

smokyroom26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

:D :D :D :D

out yourself, bolded anon user. I officially love you.

Agreed. Bravo.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 am

i think it comes into play depending on the interviewer type. here are the types i've seen.

Top 10%/Law Review type associates from lower ranked schools with an axe to grind. I feel like these people would like nothing more than to ding candidates from higher ranked schools and inevitably ask tricky questions/probe weaknesses/push your boundaries. I don't think charm can help here whatsoever as you are already facing an uphill battle and they are actively trying to ding.

"Cool" associates seeing if they could have a beer with you. Usually don't ask legal questions, or any curveballs. Just want to discuss what its like to practice, live in the city, hobbies, etc. Charm/likability is important for this type.

Fully evaluative interviewers trying to get at your intellect/legal skills Will ask about legal theories in your writing, what you wrote about for law review competition, how to explain the legal issues you saw over the summer, etc etc. Trying to see if you live up to the hype of your resume..Don't think charm/likability helps here.

Bigshot Partners far into their careers These types like to talk about their career, history of the office, future plans, etc. Charm and liability is essential here, and is probably among the most important interviews of the day.

curious to see if anyone else wants to add to the list 8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:59 am

englawyer wrote:i think it comes into play depending on the interviewer type. here are the types i've seen.

Top 10%/Law Review type associates from lower ranked schools with an axe to grind. I feel like these people would like nothing more than to ding candidates from higher ranked schools and inevitably ask tricky questions/probe weaknesses/push your boundaries. I don't think charm can help here whatsoever as you are already facing an uphill battle and they are actively trying to ding.

"Cool" associates seeing if they could have a beer with you. Usually don't ask legal questions, or any curveballs. Just want to discuss what its like to practice, live in the city, hobbies, etc. Charm/likability is important for this type.

Fully evaluative interviewers trying to get at your intellect/legal skills Will ask about legal theories in your writing, what you wrote about for law review competition, how to explain the legal issues you saw over the summer, etc etc. Trying to see if you live up to the hype of your resume..Don't think charm/likability helps here.

Bigshot Partners far into their careers These types like to talk about their career, history of the office, future plans, etc. Charm and liability is essential here, and is probably among the most important interviews of the day.

curious to see if anyone else wants to add to the list 8)

OP here. Thanks very much for this!

Return to “Legal Employment”