Question about responding to offers Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about responding to offers

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm

So, I just got a voicemail from the hiring partner at a big NYC firm with which I have done a CB saying that he has "good news" for me and to call him back. I assume this means I have an offer, and when I call him back he will tell me so. This is great, and I'm thrilled. At the same time, I am interviewing with other firms that I would prefer over this one, and I do not plan to accept unless I don't get an offer from any of them.

Obviously, as per NALP rules, I will have 28 days to accept the offer. Additionally, I know that being awkward on the phone is not going to cause any negative repercussions. However, I have never really been in a position of deferring the decision on whether to accept a job offer before, and I'm not sure how to do so. Is there an accepted way of doing this for law students, where I assume it's common to hold on to offers until a better one comes along? How should I approach the matter on the phone?

Thanks for your help. I know this sounds like a silly question, and it probably is, but I'm just looking for simple advice.

Anonymous User

Re: Question about responding to offers

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:17 pm

It's probably going to feel a little awkward for you to say that you need some time to evaluate your options, etc., but I doubt they'd take any offense to it. Law firms know that you're evaluating different firms in the same way that law firms evaluate students.

Just say something along the lines of: "Thank you for the offer. I really enjoyed meeting with everyone at [Firm X]. If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to take some time to think over the offer and to evaluate all of my options. I will definitely keep you updated about where I am in my thought process. Thanks so much again ..."

Doesn't have to be exactly that ... but basic gist is say thank you, say you need some time to think about, and say that you'll keep them updated.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:20 pm

You will not be expected to accept on the spot, so just be positive about the offer while on the phone. He'll let you know you have 28 days and probably tell you that he's happy to arrange for you to come in or talk to some other associates/partners if you have any more questions or need more information while you consider your options. The firm isn't new to this game - they know people are considering multiple offers.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:43 pm

California Babe wrote:You will not be expected to accept on the spot, so just be positive about the offer while on the phone. He'll let you know you have 28 days and probably tell you that he's happy to arrange for you to come in or talk to some other associates/partners if you have any more questions or need more information while you consider your options. The firm isn't new to this game - they know people are considering multiple offers.
This, exactly. Also, you'll receive actual offer letter in the mail with all the details -- the phone call is more of a congratulatory call letting you know that you will be receiving an offer (thus it'd be highly unlikely for them to ask you right away if you're going to accept).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”