PSA to People who cry about no jobs:look for govn't/p.i.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronx Bum

PSA to People who cry about no jobs:look for govn't/p.i.

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:39 am

I'm sick of people who cry about how there are no jobs because they struck out at biglaw or OCI. These people felt entitled to a job 160k. If you can't get a job in biglaw, why not look for a government or a P.I. job. How about even (gasp) looking at midlaw/small law and work your way up. 70k isn't poverty for a newly minted attorney. Just because you aren't making 160k doesn;t mean the legal market is doomed. I entered law school for different reasons than most: I actually want to utilize my degree by helping others and will be working for a non profit and I plan on using IBR/loan forgiveness. You all should consider this.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: PSA to People who cry about no jobs:look for govn't/p.i.

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:41 am

Bronx Bum wrote:I'm sick of people who cry about how there are no jobs because they struck out at biglaw or OCI. These people felt entitled to a job 160k. If you can't get a job in biglaw, why not look for a government or a P.I. job. How about even (gasp) looking at midlaw/small law and work your way up. 70k isn't poverty for a newly minted attorney. Just because you aren't making 160k doesn;t mean the legal market is doomed. I entered law school for different reasons than most: I actually want to utilize my degree by helping others and will be working for a non profit and I plan on using IBR/loan forgiveness. You all should consider this.

not everyone went to law school to save the world. some people might want to have kids at some point, and supporting them with an IBR-qualifying salary probably isn't easy
Last edited by Julio_El_Chavo on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

Wait, so are you scolding others? Or is it you who is in this situation and you are just projecting?

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:I'm sick of people who cry about how there are no jobs because they struck out at biglaw or OCI. These people felt entitled to a job 160k. If you can't get a job in biglaw, why not look for a government or a P.I. job. How about even (gasp) looking at midlaw/small law and work your way up. 70k isn't poverty for a newly minted attorney. Just because you aren't making 160k doesn;t mean the legal market is doomed. I entered law school for different reasons than most: I actually want to utilize my degree by helping others and will be working for a non profit and I plan on using IBR/loan forgiveness. You all should consider this.

not everyone went to law school to save the world. some people might want to have kids at some point

Not the point. Then work your way up from, maybe, a 70k job. Work in P.I. and then have loans forgiven in 10 years. Get a job in the D.A.'s office Then branch out.

Army2Law

Postby Army2Law » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 am

Well, most government agencies have hiring freezes going on right now, so looking for a government job is not really a feasible option for most people.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 am

Yes, because all those folks out there who wanted PI/gov't work and built up resumes for it and still can't find it have nothing to do with the availability of PI/gov't jobs and they're still plentiful for folks who struck out at OCI. Brilliant.

EDIT: Or, in other words, this:

Army2Law wrote:Well, most government agencies have hiring freezes going on right now, so looking for a government job is not really a feasible option for most people.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 am

vanwinkle wrote:

Yes, because all those folks out there who wanted PI/gov't work and built up resumes for it and still can't find it have nothing to do with the availability of PI/gov't jobs and they're still plentiful for folks who struck out at OCI. Brilliant.

EDIT: Or, in other words, this:

Army2Law wrote:Well, most government agencies have hiring freezes going on right now, so looking for a government job is not really a feasible option for most people.

Oh, what a scholar!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:48 am

I thought you got banned for being a shitty troll.

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:51 am

it's the Emory graduation speech thread

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:55 am

--ImageRemoved--

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:09 am

Kilpatrick wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Wow brother, you're so cool to post that! You'll fit right in with the law types!

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 am

The big, cool government jobs are, like, IMPOSSIBLE to get. Same goes for the cool PI jobs.

There may be gigs paying $30k-40k in Nebraska in either field, but there aren't a zillion slots for everyone in these fields. The economy is, indeed, not great, and the legal market is, indeed, very difficult for many, many students, no matter what they do.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:20 am

Easy partner, society is a complex thing... we all play a role. Just cause you are in the for-profit sector doesn't mean you are a selfish ass clown that doesn't want to help others. And in either case the private sector is WAY bigger than the PI/Gov't sector... even if all those folks had the foresight to open the doors to those careers there still would not be enough jobs for them.

But I kinda agree w/ this sentiment in regards to things like the student protesters at UVa (students protested cause they struck out at OCI...) where it appears that large swaths of the student body do seem to think that they are entitled to a 160k/year job by virtue of their 3.8 GPA in Classics and their 170 LSATs. The fact that a significant portion of our peers can even hope to land these jobs w/o significant work experience is kind of amazing, and not something people should ever take for granted.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am

Borhas wrote:

Easy partner, society is a complex thing... we all play a role. Just cause you are in the for-profit sector doesn't mean you are a selfish ass clown that doesn't want to help others. And in either case the private sector is WAY bigger than the PI/Gov't sector... even if all those folks had the foresight to open the doors to those careers there still would not be enough jobs for them.

But I kinda agree w/ this sentiment in regards to things like the student protesters at UVa (students protested cause they struck out at OCI...) where it appears that large swaths of the student body do seem to think that they are entitled to a 160k/year job by virtue of their 3.8 GPA in Classics and their 170 LSATs. The fact that a significant portion of our peers can even hope to land these jobs w/o significant work experience is kind of amazing, and not something people should ever take for granted.

U a cowboy, brother?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 am

Yes.

ruski

Postby ruski » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:
U a cowboy, bro?

fixed

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:30 pm

People aren't going to want your "help" if you give it in the form of condescending, uninformed advice. Good luck using your degree to help people.

Return to “Legal Employment”