Winston & Strawn

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Winston & Strawn

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:25 am

Was wondering if anyone has first hand experience at Winston. Man of the blogs / ranking from 2009-10 have said some negative things about the firm, and I was wondering what the general morale is like recently.

gunner3

Re: Winston & Strawn

Postby gunner3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:32 am

I know one of the top partners in DC and I visited the office recently and it seems like there is a pretty good vibe. I obviously don't know a lot, I'm a 0L, but this guy I know is a very good person with a lot of integrity. Take that how you want it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:46 am

Morale is way way up. In March of this year the firm returned to lockstep. The class of 2011, which had been deferred to 2012, is being brought in on time in October of this year now. Offer rates for this summer were 100% across all offices.

That being said, Winston, especially in Chicago, is a very conservative/stuffy/traditional firm. Another complaint is that Winston does not espouse a "One Firm" attitude and people not in Chicago feel they get the short end of the stick sometimes. Furthermore, the Chicago office is really the only uber prestigious one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 am

I really like Winston (Chicago). My only concern is that their partner : associate ratio is not quite 1:1 for litigation which has led me to believe that associates take longer to do substantial work. I think everyone there is super friendly, dare I say cool.

Where does it fall in the scope of Chicago biglaw? As good as Sidley? Mayer Brown?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I really like Winston (Chicago). My only concern is that their partner : associate ratio is not quite 1:1 for litigation which has led me to believe that associates take longer to do substantial work. I think everyone there is super friendly, dare I say cool.

Where does it fall in the scope of Chicago biglaw? As good as Sidley? Mayer Brown?

As a whole firm, below Sidley, on par with Mayer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Has anyone been rejected from this firm? I did a CB ages ago and never heard anything.

EDIT: Chicago

Return to “Legal Employment”