Informing other firms of offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Informing other firms of offers

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Received offers from a few firms. I've heard you let the other ones know (that is what they said during the callbacks). Any help in crafting that weird email?

imchuckbass58

Re: Informing other firms of offers

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received offers from a few firms. I've heard you let the other ones know (that is what they said during the callbacks). Any help in crafting that weird email?

I would only let them know if the offer deadline looks like it will interfere with your timeline at other firms. So if the 28-day deadline is less than 2 weeks after your callback, then you should probably shoot an email over, phrasing it as letting them know when you need to hear by ("I currently have an offer from X firm which expires on X day. In order to be able to fully consider my options, I would greatly appreciate if you could render a decision on my candidacy by that date.") Something like that - make it sound better.

If it doesn't look like the timing will interfere, don't inform other firms of offers unless they ask. This can come across as borderline douchey.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 pm

What's the recommendation as far as juggling multiple offers? I assume you want to politely refuse some so that others have a shot, but is there a specific guideline?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the recommendation as far as juggling multiple offers? I assume you want to politely refuse some so that others have a shot, but is there a specific guideline?

The NALP standards state that you can hold open a maximum of five offers, so don't go beyond that. But you should really hold as few as possible; decline the firms you know you won't accept quickly so that others will have a better shot.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “Legal Employment”